Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Top Ten 3rd Down backs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Jimmy Smith thread on the main board and the side discussion on Tavian Banks got me thinking about the all time best 3rd down backs.  It was harder to compile this list than I thought, and I would be interested in seeing other perspectives on this.

1.  Ronnie Harmon-Bills

2.  Darren Sproles-Chargers-Eagles

3.  Dave Meggett-Giants

4.  Joe Washington-Colts-Skins

5.  Danny Woodhead-Pats-Chargers

6.  Gary Anderson-Chargers-Bucs

7.  Terry Metcalf-Cardinals

8.  Preston Pearson-Steelers & Cowboys

9.  Tony Galbreath-Saints

10.  ???

My criteria are:

1.  Typically not a full time starter-which excludes starters like Marcus Allen, Tony Dorsett, & Ricky Watters who were lethal receivers out of the backfield

2.  Primarily pass catchers

3.  In mostly on passing downs.
Bullseye,  though he's only been in the NFL for 3 seasons,  if Theo Riddick continues on his current pace/ performance level,  I'm confident he's going to belong on a list like this soon.   When it comes to hands,  routes,  awareness, and after the catch ability,  Riddick at present ranks with the top receiving RBs in the NFL. 

Quote:Bullseye,  though he's only been in the NFL for 3 seasons,  if Theo Riddick continues on his current pace/ performance level,  I'm confident he's going to belong on a list like this soon.   When it comes to hands,  routes,  awareness, and after the catch ability,  Riddick at present ranks with the top receiving RBs in the NFL. 
I haven't seen too much of him, though I suspect now that Calvin Johnson has retired, Stafford will rely more heavily on him.

For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on a lot of NFC North guys who might fit on this list.

Because I am excluding starters, good receiving backs like Payton, Chuck Foreman and Dorsey Levens can't be considered.  Can you think of any from the NFCN/NFC Central?

Just as I posed this question, though he is not in the NFCN, somehow Mosi Tatupu popped into my head.  I know he was a good special teamer, but I'm not sure if he'd qualify.
Put in former Chargers RB and USFL alum Gary Anderson...

Alualu!

On a serious note, could you argue MJD while he was backing up FT? Wouldn't put him on the all time list because he quickly became a starter, but still.

Quote:Alualu!

On a serious note, could you argue MJD while he was backing up FT? Wouldn't put him on the all time list because he quickly became a starter, but still.
A decent question.

I don't know if MJD was as prolific a receiver as some of those guys (but as I think about it, he may have had decent receiving totals when he was a one man gang with us), but man could he pass protect!  Assuming the bulk of his career was as a backup, if I had say yea or nay...then the answer is yea! 
Quote:I haven't seen too much of him, though I suspect now that Calvin Johnson has retired, Stafford will rely more heavily on him.

For some reason, I'm drawing a blank on a lot of NFC North guys who might fit on this list.

Because I am excluding starters, good receiving backs like Payton, Chuck Foreman and Dorsey Levens can't be considered.  Can you think of any from the NFCN/NFC Central?

Just as I posed this question, though he is not in the NFCN, somehow Mosi Tatupu popped into my head.  I know he was a good special teamer, but I'm not sure if he'd qualify.

With Calvin Johnson no longer playing,  a strong case can be made that Theo Riddick is the Lions most differential player on Offense.  This, when comparing him to players at his position vs. the comparison of his Offensive teammates to players at their respective positions.

Two former NFC Central 3rd down type of backs that come to mind are from the 1980's;   Darrin Nelson ( Vikings )  and Gerry Ellis  ( Packers ).  Nelson is probably most known for the drop at the goalline late in the 1987 season NFC Championship game that prevented the Vikings from tying the Redskins and sending the game to OT.    Overall though,  Nelson warrants consideration for the list you put together.   Gerry Ellis wasn't on Nelson's level but was an asset for the Packers as a receiver out of the backfield on teams that were average or worse.  

Brian Mitchell  ( Redskins )  and Fred Jackson ( Bills ) probably warrant consideration for the list.    Bruce Harper  ( Jets )  probably wasn't a top ten 3rd Down RB but was one of the best players in that role in his era.     Andre Reed is likely the most well known NFL player from Kutztown St.  but Harper is the player from Kutztown St.  that helped put the school on the football map.
Larry Centers
Kevin Faulk for the Patriots was a terrific 3rd down and pass-catching RB.

During his last few years he was primarily in a backup/3rd down back role IIRC,, and was still very good at it.
To echo D6,, Darrin Nelson probably belongs on the list.
James Brooks (Chargers-Bengals) was also terrific.
Don't know how I forgot Centers and Faulk.  I kept thinking Cardinals, but for some reason, Stump Mitchell came to mind instead of Centers.

Good catches, guys.

I think I discounted Nelson because I seem to remember him as a starter for about 2-3 years  I remember he had some monster years for Minnesota prior to the Herschel Walker trade.

I also remember Brooks as a starter (an excellent back behind a great OL), but I may be wrong about both. he and Nelson.  .

Something was telling me to include Brian Mitchell, but for some reason I associate him more with kick returning than a 3rd down back.

I will have to revisit Nelson, Brooks and Mitchell, but I am most comfortable excluding Brooks based upon the criteria.

I know that he doesn't truly fit into the criteria, but Thurman Thomas was an excellent Third Down Back for Buffalo.

I didn't care for that team, nor for him but he was always an option for their K gun offense.

Crappy guy, amazing player
Thurman Thomas would be tempting to include, but that reminds me of Kenneth Davis.  I think you could make an argument for Davis to be included here.

James Brooks had some monster years. But, for alot of his career (mostly remeber him with Cincy), he was playing with Ickey Woods and other backs. Maybe he was more of a One-Two Punch / Thunder n Lightning type of system guy, instead of a 3rd down type of guy.

So. I Guess I agree with you on him.
When I think of 3rd down backs I think of Kevin Faulk.Always seemed to get that crucial extra yard on 3rd down for the Pats.
Larry Centers
Lousaka Polite

Quote:Lousaka Polite

One of the more irritating games I can remember...
Larry Centers was first one that came to my mind as well but he was the starting FB so not sure if he counts