Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: D.C. Might Become The 51st State
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

http://fox59.com/2016/07/04/the-51st-sta...statehood/

If approved, it will be renamed: "New Columbia"...

SMH

No.
Never mind that the Constitution explicitly mandates that Washington be a "federal district", not a state.

Voting on a name for a state made out of DC is as meaningful as my planning how to spend my Powerball winnings, and voting wastes a lot of money.

DC has a large Dem majority, so adding two senators from DC will never get by the Republicans. It won't happen unless there's a huge shift in the political landscape. And by huge, I mean at least one current political party dissolving and/or a major realignment in the constituency, like 50% of African Americans abandoning the Democrat party.

What they should do is create a new US capitol in Kansas and give the district back to Maryland. That won't happen either.

Just let DC break off and start their own little country the rest of us can then return to some sort of sanity. 

They've been talking about this for years. The real reason behind the push for this is the two new senate seats it will create. It's a horrendous idea.
I read some interesting stuff about DC, the vatican, city of London etc.
Quote:I read some interesting stuff about DC, the vatican, city of London etc.

and...

Quote:and...

You'll have to tune into the next episode to find out more.
Quote:Never mind that the Constitution explicitly mandates that Washington be a "federal district", not a state.

I'm not finding any such mandate. For that matter, Washington is not named in the Constitution. It only refers to the "district" containing the "Seat of Government." Moreover, It mentions some details regarding the district, but doesn't specifically say it can't be a state. There's a section regarding the powers of Congress, one of which is to "exercise exclusive legislation" in the district as well as any other federal territory. And then there's this...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Amendment XXIII

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Section 1

<p style="margin-left:40px;">The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.

Quote:I'm not finding any such mandate. For that matter, Washington is not named in the Constitution. It only refers to the "district" containing the "Seat of Government." Moreover, It mentions some details regarding the district, but doesn't specifically say it can't be a state. There's a section regarding the powers of Congress, one of which is to "exercise exclusive legislation" in the district as well as any other federal territory. And then there's this...

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">Amendment XXIII

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">Section 1

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct:

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.

So if they are granted statehood the Capital moves to a new district somewhere else. The idea was that the Capital never resides in a state. They haven't considered that in their little votes.
DC is the seat of the fraudulent government.  The laws passed by this government only apply to District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam.  They can safely be ignored by citizens of the Several States. 

Quote:So if they are granted statehood the Capital moves to a new district somewhere else. The idea was that the Capital never resides in a state. They haven't considered that in their little votes.

Technically the capital resides in the Federal Reserve. Is the idea of the Capitol never residing in a state a specific Constitutional requirement?
Quote:Technically the capital resides in the Federal Reserve. Is the idea of the Capitol never residing in a state a specific Constitutional requirement?

One of those "not specific, but in the spirit" things.
they're building a wall around the city. it will be fantastic. the best wall you ever saw.

Quote:Technically the capital resides in the Federal Reserve. Is the idea of the Capitol never residing in a state a specific Constitutional requirement?

I'm not seeing a requirement per say, but the wording that I quoted above uses the phrase "if it were a state" which implies that it's not.

Quote:DC is the seat of the fraudulent government.  The laws passed by this government only apply to District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Guam.  They can safely be ignored by citizens of the Several States. 
You're a sovereign citizen?
Quote:Never mind that the Constitution explicitly mandates that Washington be a "federal district", not a state.

In the current political climate, the Constitution is almost completely irrelevant.
Quote:they're building a wall around the city. it will be fantastic. the best wall you ever saw.
Are the Mexican's going to pay for it?
Quote:Are the Mexican's going to pay for it?
No. Worse. Virginia.