Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New Independence Day Movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone seen it?

Over here it's been pretty panned by the critics, the wife and I were/are looking forward to seeing it and were hoping for an 'honest' review.

Haven't seen it but heard it was amazing.
I really enjoyed the original and it's one of my guilty pleasures whenever it comes on TV. I went and saw the sequel on Friday and, well, ummm... It was terrible. Sorry there's no way of sugarcoating it. It had the special effects and the big, bad aliens. It just completely lacked the energy and the special feeling the first one generated. I hate to compare it to the original because it's hard to live up to but what else can you do? I thought it was incredibly cheesy and just plain bad. I give it a 4 out of 10 and that's being generous. I really wanted to like it too and I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt if it was even close to being good.
Quote:I really enjoyed the original and it's one of my guilty pleasures whenever it comes on TV. I went and saw the sequel on Friday and, well, ummm... It was terrible. Sorry there's no way of sugarcoating it. It had the special effects and the big, bad aliens. It just completely lacked the energy and the special feeling the first one generated. I hate to compare it to the original because it's hard to live up to but what else can you do? I thought it was incredibly cheesy and just plain bad. I give it a 4 out of 10 and that's being generous. I really wanted to like it too and I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt if it was even close to being good.

I understand that, you can only compare to the original.

Thanks for your input.
Quote:I understand that, you can only compare to the original.

Thanks for your input.

Don't let my critique keep you from seeing it, maybe you'll enjoy it better than I did. I feel like I just told my kids that Santa Claus doesn't exist.
Quote:Don't let my critique keep you from seeing it, maybe you'll enjoy it better than I did. I feel like I just told my kids that Santa Claus doesn't exist.

Haha I understand what you mean.

Oh believe me, it's my wife that wanted a more honest opinion.. it's her that's so interested in seeing it.. I'm sure I'll still take her, though.
This whole movie had the feeling of a TV movie. It's like Syfy was given a $200 million budget. The story (and the 21 subplots) just felt so incredibly forced. They had 20 years to create the sequel and THIS is what they came up with? I'm changing my rating from 4 to 3 out of 10. The more I think about it and the more angry I am. I want my $7 back!
If I'm gonna spring for a movie at the theater, it'll be a horror movie.. Won't spend my money on stuff like that. But I'll definitely check it out when it hits a few of my favorite web sites..

Viva la torrents!
Quote:This whole movie had the feeling of a TV movie. It's like Syfy was given a $200 million budget. The story (and the 21 subplots) just felt so incredibly forced. They had 20 years to create the sequel and THIS is what they came up with? I'm changing my rating from 4 to 3 out of 10. The more I think about it and the more angry I am. I want my $7 back!

$7 for a movie??? It's £12 over here!! That works out about $17!!

Quote:If I'm gonna spring for a movie at the theater, it'll be a horror movie.. Won't spend my money on stuff like that. But I'll definitely check it out when it hits a few of my favorite web sites..

Viva la torrents!

I didn't know you got those sort of movies on those sort of sites?..
I saw it with my friend, who is a huge fan of Independence Day. It's one of his favorite movies. He liked it, but thought it was too cheesy. I agree with him. It was enjoyable for the most part, but definitely really cheesy. 

Damn guess I'll wait for blue ray.
Quote:Damn guess I'll wait for blue ray.

Who's Blue Ray? :teehee:
Quote:Who's Blue Ray? :teehee:

You guys have different outlets but you get blue ray DVDs right?
Quote:You guys have different outlets but you get blue ray DVDs right?

Yeah we get blue ray... I was just doing a bit of word-play :woot:
Quote:Yeah we get blue ray... I was just doing a bit of word-play :woot:

gotcha lol, for a second I thought what the hell they don't have DVD's in Europe? 
Quote:gotcha lol, for a second I thought what the hell they don't have DVD's in Europe?

You never know about Bizarro World.. They drive on the wrong side of the road, put mayo on fries and god knows what else.. They prolly have DVD's, but they put em in upside down er sumfin..
Quote:You never know about Bizarro World.. They drive on the wrong side of the road, put mayo on fries and god knows what else.. They prolly have DVD's, but they put em in upside down er sumfin..

Europe might as well be mars to me, I want to see it one day but I figured I'll have to venture North of Virginia and West of Tennessee first. 
Quote:Europe might as well be mars to me, I want to see it one day but I figured I'll have to venture North of Virginia and West of Tennessee first. 

If you make it across here, let me know.. I'll show you around.

On a serious note yeah we do things differently... we spell things differently correctly, we drive on the opposite side of the road.. BUT... we do have blu ray DVD's!
Quote:I saw it with my friend, who is a huge fan of Independence Day. It's one of his favorite movies. He liked it, but thought it was too cheesy. I agree with him. It was enjoyable for the most part, but definitely really cheesy. 

The first was too cheesy, too.  Without Will Smith, I'm waiting on the DVD.
Quote:If you make it across here, let me know.. I'll show you around.

On a serious note yeah we do things differently... we spell things <del>differently</del> correctly, we drive on the opposite side of the road.. BUT... we do have blu ray DVD's!

And you have a love of the superfluous use of the letter "u"....
Pages: 1 2