Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has anyone gone whole house solar?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am considering this and wondering what your experience has been like.

Ex. Does it power fully and does jea or your power company buy back extra or just credits.

Just looking for opinions or recommendations if you had a good or bad experience.

Different systems and installers opinions. Thanks in advance for any responses.
I'm working on it and have been making improvements to our property to one day do it. Let me ask how deep have you researched it? Unless your electric bill is under 1000 kWh per month for get it. That's the biggest trick is getting the kWh usage down to where it can be reasonably done.

When I bought my home it was consuming about 2400 kWh per month. Since then we replace the hot water heater, the AC unit, the appliances, and insulated under the home I'm down to about 1300 kWh per month. Next year we are having new double pane windows done and then I'll install the first part of the solar system a solar hot water heater to see how low we can get.

If you can get down to 1000 kWh or less you can have a system that is grid tied in for around $30,000 but a grid tied system doesn't do anything if the power lines go down. So you can then do a battery backup or off grid system but it'll be another 10-15k for that. What we plan on doing is a grid tie in with a whole home natural gas generator as a backup and dual charging solar backup, I'm still pricing them but it'll be another 8-13k to get the generator installed and tied into the solar system.

I believe JEA does buy back energy on a grid tie in system. There's a site I can find the link when I get home that has tons of information about the different systems and how many panels you'll need.
Isn't it ridiculously expensive?
The most important thing to consider is the term.  In the short term, solar is too expensive to be an alternative.  In the long term, it can eventually pay off.

I would look for the most efficient and durable panels that are available, and also look for the best storage solution.  The power provided by solar is a DC voltage and needs to be stored in the form of batteries.  Lithium is probably the best technology as far as batteries, but it's not going to be cheap and charge controllers can be a bit more expensive.  Also, the downside of lithium batteries is that heat is deadly to them, so they need to be in a temperature controlled environment.

You also want the most efficient inverter that you can get that is capable of providing the needed power.  It's job is to change the DC power stored in the batteries to AC needed to run your home.

Finally, you would need a battery monitoring system that can switch your home's power to an alternative, or provide an extra means to charge your batteries.  Typically it would switch power to your utility company, but if you want to be truly "off the grid" it can be some sort of generator.

Understand that it's almost impossible to run a "typical home" on nothing but solar power.  Although it's feasible, the infrastructure required would cost way too much.

Quote:Isn't it ridiculously expensive?

Very much so.  That's why it isn't so common and why so many solar companies fail.
I tried putting a big magnifying glass over my house. All I got out of it was a big hole burned in my roof. I should have learned my lesson from what doing this did to ants.

Quote:a big hole burned in my roof.
I've been browsing real estate websites and if there one thing I've learned it's that a hole in the roof is not a hole in the roof. It's an authentic, artisanal skylight bringing natural light into your home.
I looked into the DOW solar shingles when I did a new roof a few months back. They are really cool, but they didn't have an installer in Jacksonville at the time and it was about an 11 year ROI.

Tesla has also introduced the Powerwall. I would look into that as well.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall'>https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall</a>

Another option is addressing your high cost appliances. For instance, a hybrid water heater with a heat pump can save you a ton on utilities. If it's in the attic or garage, it is practically free half the year.

Solar is like cable/satellite cord cutting. It is almost there, just not yet.
Quote:The most important thing to consider is the term. In the short term, solar is too expensive to be an alternative. In the long term, it can eventually pay off.

I would look for the most efficient and durable panels that are available, and also look for the best storage solution. The power provided by solar is a DC voltage and needs to be stored in the form of batteries. Lithium is probably the best technology as far as batteries, but it's not going to be cheap and charge controllers can be a bit more expensive. Also, the downside of lithium batteries is that heat is deadly to them, so they need to be in a temperature controlled environment.

You also want the most efficient inverter that you can get that is capable of providing the needed power. It's job is to change the DC power stored in the batteries to AC needed to run your home.

Finally, you would need a battery monitoring system that can switch your home's power to an alternative, or provide an extra means to charge your batteries. Typically it would switch power to your utility company, but if you want to be truly "off the grid" it can be some sort of generator.

Understand that it's almost impossible to run a "typical home" on nothing but solar power. Although it's feasible, the infrastructure required would cost way too much.

If you have a grid tie in system you don't need the battery backup so it's significantly cheaper.

Anyone that wants to go solar has to figure out how to use the least amount of kWh without making changes they won't keep long term. It's usually a combination of things such as energy rate applience, proper insulation, windows, and then probably some sacrificing on the AC temp but it's feasable. Some people spend 30k on a pool for 30k you can get an off grid system with battery backup capable of 900 kWh a month in florida.
Quote:Isn't it ridiculously expensive?

Expensive yes not ridiculously expensive as it was 20 years ago.

Used to be a 300 kWh system was north of 100k now that system is in the 10-15k range with batteries.
Assuming most of you are JEA.....  they don't have reduced billing at night, which is one of the keys to making a battery system make sense.  Charge the batteries at night when rates are low and use them during peak hours. 

Quote:Assuming most of you are JEA.....  they don't have reduced billing at night, which is one of the keys to making a battery system make sense.  Charge the batteries at night when rates are low and use them during peak hours.

JEA doesn't like to give out any breaks!! :no:
Quote:Very much so. That's why it isn't so common and why so many solar companies fail.

But if you do it right you can get 40 or 50 million from the feds before you file.
There's no point/reason to do so.  It simply can't generate the necessary power for an entire home, unless you live like a near caveman and have nothing much more than hot water to run off it.

I probably have more of a special case so I'm not sure how well it translates but my home and my farm are both powered by solar.

I'm tied into the grid on the typical buyback/ credit program but I haven't had an electric bill in nearly a year.
Oh and I'm not sure if you have peak and off-peak pricing back East but my solar credits are credited as peak during peak hours (Noon-6pm). That makes quite a difference.
Quote:I probably have more of a special case so I'm not sure how well it translates but my home and my farm are both powered by solar.

I'm tied into the grid on the typical buyback/ credit program but I haven't had an electric bill in nearly a year.
So how big of a system did you need? How many kWh are you roughly using?

I know California has some good incentives for green energy so I imagine that helps.
I don't think you have to go completely off the grid for solar to be a good investment.
Going completely off the grid is nearly impossible...Most communities/cities/counties require that you have your home hooked up to an available power grid in your area...

FLORIDA MAKES OFF-GRID LIVING ILLEGAL – MANDATES ALL HOMES MUST BE CONNECTED TO ELECTRICITY & WATER GRID

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2014...city-grid/

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">"It appears that yet again, the government wants to regulate how we can and to what extent we can exercise our freedoms.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">Here are a few states which have laws concerning living off the grid.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"><b>Florida</b>

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">If you are planning on going off the grid in Florida, you may want to reconsider.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">The courts have ruled that living off the grid is a violation of the International Property Maintenance code"

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">"Although all the stipulations in the code do not specifically address off the grid living, this has not stopped the courts from fining residences or from jailing certain individuals (such as Speronis) who have gone off the grid.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">The governing factor in their “legitimacy” of the legislation is that the residences have to have sustainable water and electricity.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">Where the residences have solar power and collect rainwater, the government has not deemed this as an adequate form of either.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"><b>North Carolina (and almost every other state)</b>

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">Those which are trying to create off grid homes from materials which are not commercially based may find that the local authorities will not be too happy about it.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">In fact, you are very likely to get a citation and criminal charges for building a structure that “endangers the lives of others”, “building a structure without a license”, or “constructing a building without obtaining the proper permits and meeting the regulated codes”.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">In one such instance, a man who dedicated his life to showing and preserving the way of native Americans was faced with criminal charges because (after having the buildings inspected and shown to be “above code”) he did not follow the modern building codes." Although all the stipulations in the code do not specifically address off the grid living, this has not stopped the courts from fining residences or from jailing certain individuals (such as Speronis) who have gone off the grid.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">The governing factor in their “legitimacy” of the legislation is that the residences have to have sustainable water and electricity.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"><b>Other Blanketed Law violations</b>

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">These are just a few of the states which have implemented direct strategies against those which are living off the grid.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">As more and more states will see a decline in the industrial sectors (because they cannot comply with the new “green” legislation) those which are living off the grid will be held responsible and taxed.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">Fines, legislation, and hostilities to those living off the grid are apt to include:
  • Child Endangerment
  • Condemning of the property as being unsafe
  • Fines for having untreated waste on the property
  • Building and Zoning fines
  • Building without a permit
  • Stealing water
  • Stealing electricity and other resources
  • Cruelty to animals
  • Operating a business without a license (if you sell any of your goods).
  • Unlawful disposal of hazardous materials
  • If you use fertilizer then you may have the FEDs say you are a threat to Homeland Security"
<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"> 

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;"> http://tipsforsurvivalists.com/states-wi...f-the-grid

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(68,68,68);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;">There is a lot more on this page but I didn't want to make it too long...

<div style="margin:0px;font-family:'Open Sans', sans-serif;">
<div style="margin:0px;">
<div style="margin:20px 0px;"> 
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
Seems a bit of you have not looked into solar in the last few years anyway. Thats ok.

I have one quote for a 10 kw system for roughly 30k. But after federal tax credits it is 20,900. It is capable of making over 18,000 kw a year. Which is about 1500 kwh a month pretty close to my monthly consumption. A little less rhan in july august and maybe jan feb. But more than we use in most months.

You can get a 100 percent financing and basically instead of paying jea you pay your loan.

I do not understand how the federal tax credit works.

I am with stroud croud a little it is just about right there.
Pages: 1 2