Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This team is now ready to compete..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Screw the we might make the playoffs.. We are gonna make the playoffs.. We have the pieces now use it.. We are JAGUARS..
We were always ready to compete. We just sucked at it. 

Counting on rookies to produce at key positions doesn't make me think "playoffs."

There's also the matter of which Tashaun Gipson shows up in September, but I'm less concerned about that one.

This team may struggle early in the season on defense.
I think we will struggle in the beginning of the season. As soon as everything glues on offense and defense we will have multiple 2-4 game winning streaks. 

Despite all the additions. I'd be happy if this team is managed to finish right at .500 with an 8 - 8 record this season. My biggest concern already is the first four weeks of the year. 

Rodgers at home

Rivers on the road

Flacco at home

Luck at home (SIKE! It's in London)

Early Week 5 BYE WEEK 

That's brutal. And with a young team. Losing games like that can cause a mental lapse. 

Quote:We were always ready to compete. We just sucked at it. 
I wish that were true however we sucked period.  Today is a new day and time to turn the page.
Quote:Despite all the additions. I'd be happy if this team is managed to finish right at .500 with an 8 - 8 record this season. My biggest concern already is the first four weeks of the year.

Rodgers at home

Rivers on the road

Flacco at home

Luck at home (SIKE! It's in London)

Early Week 5 BYE WEEK

That's brutal. And with a young team. Losing games like that can cause a mental lapse.

The only 2 there that scare me are Rodgers and Rivers. We beat Flacco last year in his house (got lucky, but still) and Luck in London does not scare me at all
Quote:The only 2 there that scare me are Rodgers and Rivers. We beat Flacco last year in his house (got lucky, but still) and Luck in London does not scare me at all

Baltimore was a little banged up last year too. it won't be the same team. And I think Luck will be out to prove a point this year. It's like everybody buried the kid because of his bad performances this year in limited starts due to a lacerated spleen and a few other problems. Prior to 2015 Luck had the clots always in the play-offs. I say we're lucky to go 1 - 3 in the first four weeks. 
Quote:Counting on rookies to produce at key positions doesn't make me think "playoffs."

There's also the matter of which Tashaun Gipson shows up in September, but I'm less concerned about that one.

This team may struggle early in the season on defense.
Quote:Baltimore was a little banged up last year too. it won't be the same team. And I think Luck will be out to prove a point this year. It's like everybody buried the kid because of his bad performances this year in limited starts due to a lacerated spleen and a few other problems. Prior to 2015 Luck had the clots always in the play-offs. I say we're lucky to go 1 - 3 in the first four weeks.

I won't be happy with 1-3. I'm hoping for 2-2 atleast.

However if that one win is against Indy, I'll be ok.
We fired Sprinkles?

Oh...
Quote:I won't be happy with 1-3. I'm hoping for 2-2 atleast.

However if that one win is against Indy, I'll be ok.

That's how I am looking at it too. I don't see us winning in the opener against a more veteran led Green Bay team. Especially with Jordy Nelson coming back for Rodgers to lock down on. Historically we get our butts handed to us out west regardless of who the opponent is. But San Diego in particular with Rivers just seems to own us every time we see each other. I think we could maybe best the Ravens at home but I just have a bad feeling about that one. I think they'll rebound under John Harbaugh. John is a heck of a coach. Last year was his only losing season since his tenure in Baltimore. I expect them to be fully healthy and ready to bounce back in 2016. And as far as the clots across the pond. We'll see. It'd be nice to get back-to-back wins over in London. 
Quote:That's how I am looking at it too. I don't see us winning in the opener against a more veteran led Green Bay team. Especially with Jordy Nelson coming back for Rodgers to lock down on. Historically we get our butts handed to us out west regardless of who the opponent is. But San Diego in particular with Rivers just seems to own us every time we see each other. I think we could maybe best the Ravens at home but I just have a bad feeling about that one. I think they'll rebound under John Harbaugh. John is a heck of a coach. Last year was his only losing season since his tenure in Baltimore. I expect them to be fully healthy and ready to bounce back in 2016. And as far as the clots across the pond. We'll see. It'd be nice to get back-to-back wins over in London. 

Rivers has faced the same defense that makes below average QBs look like HOFs. He'll face a entirely new defense this year. Im confident he wont be getting away with a lot of the stuff he has done in the past againt our defense. Like scrambling for 20 yards on 3rd down
I'm a lot more concerned with the offensive line than the defense this year. I think our D will be around average from the start and get better over the year. The Oline is one Brandon Linder injury away from being a total mess. We can't even be sure about Linder, he missed what, 12 games last year and he's playing a new position this year?

Blake's been the most sacked qb in the league over the last 2 years, and honestly I don't see much improvement coming in that statistic unless Beachum is as advertised and everyone stays healthy.
Quote:I'm a lot more concerned with the offensive line than the defense this year. I think our D will be around average from the start and get better over the year. The Oline is one Brandon Linder injury away from being a total mess. We can't even be sure about Linder, he missed what, 12 games last year and he's playing a new position this year?

Blake's been the most sacked qb in the league over the last 2 years, and honestly I don't see much improvement coming in that statistic unless Beachum is as advertised and everyone stays healthy.

I think a lot of this is on the defense as well.  If we aren't passing so many times and playing from behind, the opposing defense isn't going to be able to pin its ears back and rush the passer every time.  If our defense can just hold them a few times I think it will definitely affect our offensive line's sack total.  I think the sack total will be down, myself.
And the running game helps with the sack totals as well. Teams knew that we could not run on them, and therefore were able to focus on pass defense. Running should be real strong over the right side of the line with Linder / Cann / Parnell.

Last week on Jaguars' Thursday, they had GM Dave Caldwell on as a special guest.

He said for the first time, they (He and Bradley) feel like they have "a fighting chance."

Interesting phrasing to say the least.  It speaks volumes as to not only where the roster has been, but that phrasing helps to set the benchmarks for expectations.

I think playoff contention is a realistic expectation for this team at this stage.

Quote:That's how I am looking at it too. I don't see us winning in the opener against a more veteran led Green Bay team. Especially with Jordy Nelson coming back for Rodgers to lock down on. Historically we get our butts handed to us out west regardless of who the opponent is. But San Diego in particular with Rivers just seems to own us every time we see each other. I think we could maybe best the Ravens at home but I just have a bad feeling about that one. I think they'll rebound under John Harbaugh. John is a heck of a coach. Last year was his only losing season since his tenure in Baltimore. I expect them to be fully healthy and ready to bounce back in 2016. And as far as the clots across the pond. We'll see. It'd be nice to get back-to-back wins over in London. 

I'm not at all conceding the home opener where players accustomed to cold, dry weather have to come to Florida in early September. Looking at the schedule, I'm banking on a 3-1 start en route to a division title.

Quote:I'm not at all conceding the home opener where players accustomed to cold, dry weather have to come to Florida in early September. Looking at the schedule, I'm banking on a 3-1 start en route to a division title.

It's not uncommon for temps to be in the high 80's and low 90's where the Packers train.  

The humidity is the only real difference - and if you are counting on humidity to gain some advantage over a team of  really good football players (half of whom played college ball in high humidity) then you are really grasping at straws. 

That said, it's still a winnable game if the Jags offense picks up where it left off and the defense plays like this is week 7 and not week one. 

But that's a tall order defensively. 
This team is at about full capacity in terms of talent granted that a few positions could seek an upgrade. If we don't make the playoffs this year it would be an absolute failure IMO.
Pages: 1 2 3 4