Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Any Swimming Pool Problem Solvers Here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Im checking the evaporation process now ( bucket of water on pool step ) but it seems im losing more than normal...anyway...is there a way to check for leaks besides an expensive call to a leak finder? Its not a major drop, and perhaps it is evaporation, but something is bothering me about this..any thoughts? ( In ground )

Thanks

The local pool supply store should have a leak finder in stock. It's just a dense dye that you put in your pool to help trace the leak.
Quote:Im checking the evaporation process now ( bucket of water on pool step ) but it seems im losing more than normal...anyway...is there a way to check for leaks besides an expensive call to a leak finder? Its not a major drop, and perhaps it is evaporation, but something is bothering me about this..any thoughts? ( In ground )

Thanks

You can do a dye test around areas where you think there might be a leak, like skimmer and returns. How old is the plaster or marcite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dhKEWxjX6I
Another thing, do you have a liner or straight cement?
Liner...

Thanks..the dye tester looks like what I need...

I dont see any tears or holes in liner, but I suppose it wouldnt take much 

Swimming pools in the summer in Florida are the equivalent of taking care of a child.

Edit: But boy, it is worth it.

Quote:Swimming pools in the summer in Florida are the equivalent of taking care of a child.

Edit: But boy, it is worth it.
Never had too much trouble..keep up the tablets ( the ones with stabilizer and algecide...has blue specks in them at Pinch a Penny ) and Im usually hassle free. Usually. 
Quote:Never had too much trouble..keep up the tablets ( the ones with stabilizer and algecide...has blue specks in them at Pinch a Penny ) and Im usually hassle free. Usually. 

I do. My pool is in direct sunlight the majority of the day. If I miss a shock by a day, I start getting algae. Also keep 5 tabs in the floater. My pool is a chlorine monster. When I get around to renovating it, gonna probably switch to a salt water system.
I'd like to solve my swimming pool problem by filling the damn thing in with dirt.  All is does it suck money out of my pocket.  I'll never have another one.

Quote:I'd like to solve my swimming pool problem by filling the damn thing in with dirt.  All is does it suck money out of my pocket.  I'll never have another one.

Funny you say that. My father actually owned a swimming pool construction company for 20 years in the 80's and 90's. When he got out of the business he almost started another company to go back and fill them in.
Quote:Funny you say that. My father actually owned a swimming pool construction company for 20 years in the 80's and 90's. When he got out of the business he almost started another company to go back and fill them in.

I had one with my first house and knew I didn't want it since the kids were gone.  But my wife loved the house so I had/have no choice other than to (try) keep the thing in working order and clean.  I have the same issue with you as it's in direct sunlight all day.

Cement ponds are overrated. I've never had one and never will.

Honestly, does anyone use theirs enough to justify the cost and effort?
Quote:Cement ponds are overrated. I've never had one and never will.

If you have kids....yeah.  I got a queasy feeling in my stomach however, when my wife loved this house so much and I saw the money pit in the back yard.
Quote:Cement ponds are overrated. I've never had one and never will.

Not sure what the cost of justification is, but the kids use it every single day in the summer, so I'd say at this point in time it is justified. As they get older, their friends will use it too. It came with the house, back when they built pools that were larger than 10,000 gallons and actually had diving boards and deep ends deeper than 6 feet. Not sure I'd build one today.

Quote:I'd like to solve my swimming pool problem by filling the damn thing in with dirt.  All is does it suck money out of my pocket.  I'll never have another one.

We just redid our pool, and yes, that was one of the options I was contemplating. Since it is like a brand new pool, we use it alot more now. But yeah, too much money goes into maintaining it.
I love mine.. Use it constantly.. Plus I like to experiment with the pool chemicals.
There is this really cool device that just came out called PHin. Right now, it only comes with a chemical subscription, but overall, it is a cool idea. They seem to have some current issues launching though.

https://www.phin.co/

Love my pool. In it just about daily. Keep on top of it and it's easy to keep clean and sanitary. My only complaint is it does get to warm sometimes. I have thrown 300lbs of ice in it and actually cooled it down a few degrees on occasion. When having parties guests are encouraged to bring ice for the pool.

Quote:Love my pool. In it just about daily. Keep on top of it and it's easy to keep clean and sanitary. My only complaint is it does get to warm sometimes. I have thrown 300lbs of ice in it and actually cooled it down a few degrees on occasion. When having parties guests are encouraged to bring ice for the pool.

I'm going to guess you haven't had mechanical things start to break down on you yet....and, the bolded is not always the case.
Quote:I'm going to guess you haven't had mechanical things start to break down on you yet....and, the bolded is not always the case.
Oh, I've done it all. Had pebbletek surfacing after marcite was history. Changed from sand filter to cartridge( filters much better). I have a polaris type cleaner that I put in once a week usually and keep 4 all-in-one tablets in a floater. Shock with 2 gallons a liquid chlorine about every 3 weeks. Money spent is worth it to us.
Pages: 1 2