Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Corporal Punishment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do you believe in the use of corporal punishment in child rearing? If so, where do you draw the line? If not, what other alternative forms of punishment do you recommend and has it been effective for you? And last question, do you believe corporal punishment has a place in our schools today?
1. Yes.

2. Open hand below the torso (buttocks, thigh) only between a specific age range (usually 2-6).

3. No.

Yup.

Definitely open hand to the rear at an early age.. 12 and up? Hand me the switch.. 18 and up? If it gets bad enough, Tyson would be proud.

Punishments should be left to the parents only.
Quote:Yup.

Definitely open hand to the rear at an early age.. 12 and up? Hand me the switch.. 18 and up? If it gets bad enough, Tyson would be proud.

Punishments should be left to the parents only.

This is pretty much how I was raised except any adult family member could open up a can if my behavior was really bad. I was a good kid so those never happened but I always knew the option was on the table.
Yes, within reason. Open hand to the backside up until the age where it goes from associating a certain action with an unpleasant consequence to simple humiliation. Corporal punishment should only be performed by parents or guardians.

No.

Yes

Like others, open hand on rear

No

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"
No, I don't use it.

No for use in schools.
Quote:No.

Quote:No, I don't use it.

No for use in schools.

So what other methods do you use/recommend and how effective has it been?
Every child is different, so there's no one form of discipline that works all the time the same way. We use spankings but it's more about the threat of a spanking than the spanking itself most of the time. As a parent the line is anger, you should never spank or strike your child when you're angry and trust me they will make you angry. When it's done out of anger that's where abuse comes in. usually if one of my four has done something that warrants a spanking (repeatedly ignored instructions, physically hit a sibling, or is caught lying are the three common ones that warrant spankings) I'll have them place their hands on the table and wait 5 mins to think about the spanking. Before the spanking I look them in the eye and tell them why they're going to get a spanking and how many. 

The most common form of punishment for small infractions we use is the timeout. Even the older ones respond to it, but it's more of a grounding, no videogames, tv or movies for a day. 

No schools do not have the authority nor should they have the authority to strike children. It's not the governments job to raise my child. 

I think we should use public corporal punishment for certain minor crimes.
Quote:I think we should use public corporal punishment for certain minor crimes.
Like voting for Hillary? I'd be down with that.
Quote:Like voting for Hillary? I'd be down with that.

Are you saying you should be spanked for voting for Hillary Clinton or you should be spanked if you don't vote for Hillary Clinton?
Quote:Every child is different, so there's no one form of discipline that works all the time the same way. We use spankings but it's more about the threat of a spanking than the spanking itself most of the time. As a parent the line is anger, you should never spank or strike your child when you're angry and trust me they will make you angry. When it's done out of anger that's where abuse comes in. usually if one of my four has done something that warrants a spanking (repeatedly ignored instructions, physically hit a sibling, or is caught lying are the three common ones that warrant spankings) I'll have them place their hands on the table and wait 5 mins to think about the spanking. Before the spanking I look them in the eye and tell them why they're going to get a spanking and how many. 

The most common form of punishment for small infractions we use is the timeout. Even the older ones respond to it, but it's more of a grounding, no videogames, tv or movies for a day. 

No schools do not have the authority nor should they have the authority to strike children. It's not the governments job to raise my child. 

This is a well thought out response.

As a parent I never used it. Withholding privileges worked fine in our home.

I have no problem with the concept. I would not be so presumptuous to tell others how to raise their children. Generations of people have used spanking without problem.

Quote:No.

Not even if the girl in your picture asked for one?

Quote:Are you saying you should be spanked for voting for Hillary Clinton or you should be spanked if you don't vote for Hillary Clinton?
You should be spanked for voting for Hillary. The spanking for voting Trump will come in 2018 or so, when 25% of the world is on the OFAC list for pissing him off.
Quote:Like voting for Hillary? I'd be down with that.

It's like you read my mind!
No, I don't believe in corporal punishment in child rearing.  I certainly don't think it should be in schools.  Parents of course have a right to use whatever methods of punishment they so choose.  I wouldn't advocate banning corporal punishment, even though I disagree with it strongly.  I think it sends the wrong message.  

Quote:I think we should use public corporal punishment for certain minor crimes.
Flsprtsgod supports public lashings!!!
Quote:So what other methods do you use/recommend and how effective has it been?

I don't have strong feelings on this particular issue. To each their own. But to answer your question.

We use time outs and a loss of privileges with my kids. Never have an issue with either child and both are really well behaved. This might not work for everyone, but it has for us.

In school, I have never really had any issues with my students. So no real need to dish out punishment. Maybe I've been lucky. That being said, I think school corporeal punishment opens a giant can of worms. Too many variables to keep it simple.
Pages: 1 2