Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: June 6, 1944
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
D-Day survivor: 'We didn't ask questions. We took orders.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/d-day-s...64a3e.html

Tonight is definitely a Saving Private Ryan night to help reflect on the trials our vets went through.

God bless em.
Quote:Tonight is definitely a Saving Private Ryan night to help reflect on the trials our vets went through.

God bless em.

My wife's dad was on the beach at Normandy. She said he would never talk about it.
<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:medium;font-family:Verdana;">Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

[Image: article-2649518-1E80C6B000000578-42_964x594.jpg]

Quote:Tonight is definitely a Saving Private Ryan night to help reflect on the trials our vets went through.

God bless em.
We're having craptastic weather today which means a perfect day to watch Band of Brothers. Sadly I have to drive an hour away to go to physical therapy so tonight may also be a SPR night for us. 

My maternal grandfather was in the Army Air Corps fixed the B-29s that came in battered, and my maternal grandfather was in the Navy but I can't remember what he did during the war. Neither of them talked about it.
Quote:College age men left their "Safe Spaces" to invade France......

D-Day survivor: 'We didn't ask questions. We took orders

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.fredericknewspost.com/d-day-survivor-we-didn-t-ask-questions-we-took/article_b0d96336-3d4d-5715-88d6-1651b6264a3e.html'>http://www.fredericknewspost.com/d-day-survivor-we-didn-t-ask-questions-we-took/article_b0d96336-3d4d-5715-88d6-1651b6264a3e.html</a>
Why are you trying to politicize this thread? How about honoring the sacrifices of those who fought and died to break Hitler's back instead of taking cheap political shots at a completely unrelated group of people?
Quote:Why are you trying to politicize this thread? How about honoring the sacrifices of those who fought and died to break Hitler's back instead of taking cheap political shots at a completely unrelated group of people?
Don't feed into it. If everyone could ignore that part then the original intent for the post doesn't get lost. Hopefully the original intent was to remember the day and those who sacrificed much. If not then shame on the OP.
My father was in the 517th PRCT (I was kind of a late child). Look them up sometime.
Quote:My father was in the 517th PRCT (I was kind of a late child). Look them up sometime.

Paratrooper WOW!