Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars most improved position group in 2016?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What position group do you think will be most improved? I'm going with defensive end with Dante and Yannick. I expect at least 7 sacks from Dante and 5-7 from Yannick. Thoughts?
Let's hope it's all 3 levels of the defense. Or even better, the whole defense takes a huge step forward and yet Bortles takes such a giant leap forward again that QB is most improved. I'm salivating at the thought.

If I had to actually pin down a position, I'd say 3 tech (additions of Jackson and Day, return of Marks), C (Linder), CB (additions of Ramsey and Prince, another year in system for House, improved S support), FS (Gipson), or DE.

So yeah guess I didn't pin down a position at all. Good question.
I'm glad this isn't an easy answer.  You could make arguments for any of the above positional groups, except maybe not the OL.

I would have to say the secondary is the positional group that has made the most improvement.  Even without Ramsey, the Jaguars added two experienced, still in their prime quality starters in Amukumara and Gipson.  But if you add in a healthy Ramsey, who seems to have the physical tools to be the big, physical man cover corner this team has never had before, our secondary is now deep, versatile, and will be able to match up well with most WR/personnel groupings.  Even the perceived weak link now-Cyprien-can potentially show improvement because all of the additions will enable him to play to his strengths as an in the box S. 
I went with defensive end because the production from Clemons and Branch was laughable last year.
Quote:I went with defensive end because the production from Clemons and Branch was laughable last year.
What's your expectations for Yannick and Dante in 2016?
Quote:What's your expectations for Yannick and Dante in 2016?

I think Yannick will be pretty quiet but make a few big plays as the season goes on. Think Fowler will start very slow but eventually make an impact with his motor on clean up duty. I'm interested to see does he improve as the season goes on,or will he start fast and hit a rookie wall.
either Dline or Secondary although it wouldn't surprise me if Jack makes our LB core far superior.

Coin toss between secondary and defensive end.

Secondary. Ramsey and Gipson could be among the best in the league at their positions.
Easily it's Defensive Backfield. Everything upgraded except SS.
Quote:Coin toss between secondary and defensive end.

Agreed.

Quote:Easily it's Defensive Backfield. Everything upgraded except SS.
well maybe Sample can upgrade SS
The long snapper.

I choose secondary only because DE was bad but had a few more bright spots.  Branch was Aiight, Davis was/is viewed to have good potential, and even Chris Smith showed flashes at first with a killer 1st step/jump off the snap.  

Secondary has been House, Colvin, gratz, and McCray.  McCray went awol from Football IQ class and Colvin is 50/50 to me still.  Bubblegum Gratz is well, Gratz.   

All in all, you need more good corners than DEs, so two starters via draft and FA with one already proven when healthy, tremendously helps that group look near complete.  While DE is full of tons of potential, it has less proven NFL above avg. to elite ability shown by the players during Reg season games.

DE gets my vote.

We had the worst DE group in football last year. They were so bad that it's a testament to the rest of defense that they avoided being the worst passing defense in the league.

DE has to be the answer. The secondary will have a few starters carried over from last year.

The end rotation saw Clemons and Branch jettisoned, Chris Smith likely won't make the roster, and Ryan Davis was moved to LB.
Secondary is going to be the more talented overall between them and DE, but DE will be more improved since it was dreadfully bad to begin with. 

Quote:Secondary is going to be the more talented overall between them and DE, but DE will be more improved since it was dreadfully bad to begin with.

Agreed.
Quote:well maybe Sample can upgrade SS

Perhaps. But Evans could be our SS too.
I voted for DE, though difficult to not vote secondary. If our DE can get the pressure we need and affect the QB, the Secondary will look even better than just with the additions alone. I am very excited to see our defense play this year!