Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake's Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

So I was wondering, does Blake have full control at the line of scrimmage to make adjustments and audibles, like Manning in Indy & Denver?

Or does Olson have some say in it all?

Stupid question just popped in my head though.
My understanding is that it's cohesive between Oley and BB. BB has mentioned it before not being in command of the offense like a Manning or Rivers and he just tries to make sure he executes each play to the best of his ability. I could be out of context but remember something like that from him last year.
At this point I would hope he could make adjustments as needed before the snap of he notices something
Quote:At this point I would hope he could make adjustments as needed before the snap of he notices something

He definitely has some control. There were multiple games last year in which the run/pass balance was heavily tilted to pass and Olsen said it was because Bortles kept checking to pass plays.
Quote:He definitely has some control. There were multiple games last year in which the run/pass balance was heavily tilted to pass and Olsen said it was because Bortles kept checking to pass plays.
I would hope he gains more control as his command of the offense improves and he gains experience.
Quote:He definitely has some control. There were multiple games last year in which the run/pass balance was heavily tilted to pass and Olsen said it was because Bortles kept checking to pass plays.

I remember this as well.
He said checked out of 5-10 plays per game last year in an interview with Cowherd.

Quote:He said checked out of 5-10 plays per game last year in an interview with Cowherd.

Wonder what his success rate percentage was when checking into a different play?
Rule 1 in Adjustments and Control at the LOS Club....

We don't talk about the rules in Adjustments and Control at the LOS Club...

Just kidding. I am personally not sure but just watch him closely on game day and see what he does with the offense. If he steps back and picks his nose, throws some gang signs up and says stuff like "UCF 5 for 5 Burgers at Wendys!..... UCF 5 for 5 Burgers at Wendys!" or.... "Mary..Mary...had a little lamb!..... Marry...Marry had a little lamb!" then you will know he's got some control at the LOS with adjustments. I am sure he does to an extent. He did some adjustments last year I think. It's his 2nd year in the same system so I'd imagine he's given more freedom with Olson. 

Gus wants him to have more ownership too. He mentioned last season how rivers had total control over that offense and wanting Blake to get to that level. I think this is what their goal was this off season with Blake saying he wanted to really own this offense.
Quote:So I was wondering, does Blake have full control at the line of scrimmage to make adjustments and audibles, like Manning in Indy & Denver?

Or does Olson have some say in it all?

Stupid question just popped in my head though.
They didn't give him many options last year, but Olson has made comment twice this offseason about Blake checking out of plays when he recognizes a favorable or in favorable looks from the defense.

He'll do it more this season.
He will gain more and more trust and more control over time. Bortles was a master at UCF doing this and in 2 minute offense as a redshirt junior.