Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Muhammad Ali Dead at 74
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, Jaguars fans. Muhammad Ali, born Cassius Clay from Louisville, Kentucky and one of the greatest boxers of all time,  died at 74.  RIP Black Superman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqMk-AuTDZE

To a nerdy little teenager in the 60s, Ali seemed to have everything I didn't have: good looks, athletic ability, personality, and courage.

Looking back, of course no one is perfect, and I don't agree with some things he said and did, but he was my hero, and I still admire him greatly. A great man. Don't get me wrong, he had his flaws, but all in all, he was a person I loved.

May he rest in peace.
His relationship with Cosell is still one of the most fascinating things about him to me.

I hope he's found peace.
I used to work for one of his attorneys. His office was filled with Ali memorabilia.  I once picked up a fax coming off the fax machine (back when we actually had those) from Ali.  It was pretty freaking cool!

I always admired Ali as being someone who stood up for what he believed in.  He was a man of conviction and a heck of an athlete.

He was a brash black man from an era and area in which brashness could get a black man killed. He stood up for his beliefs even when it meant banishment from his sport during the prime of his career.

Smerconish interviewed Chuck Wepner this morning, and it was interesting to hear of his admiration and respect for Ali, especially considering the racial undertones in the buildup to their fight, which incidentally was the inspiration for Rocky.

RIP Muhammad Ali. He was indeed The Greatest.

Ali had such a wide following because he was unquestionably his own man.  He wasn't a flashy two-bit punk like Floyd Mayweather.

This was moved this from the All Sports forum, as Muhammad Ali was much more than a boxer.

Good fighter, not the greatest.
Quote:Good fighter, not the greatest.

He was the greatest sports figure in terms of global recognition and influence.
Quote:He was the greatest sports figure in terms of global recognition and influence.

Soooooo, good fighter, not the greatest.
Quote:Soooooo, good fighter, not the greatest.

Nobody in this thread said he was, and most agree with you, he wasn't the greatest boxer. But that's not why I called him the greatest in this thread.

Quote:Good fighter, not the greatest.

Who is the greatest in your opinion?
Quote:Who is the greatest in your opinion?
Cassius Clay?
Quote:Who is the greatest in your opinion?

Sugar Ray Robinson
Quote:Sugar Ray Robinson

Butter Bean
A case can be made for Ali being the greatest heavyweight in the greatest era of heavyweights in boxing history. Joe Frazier beat him, Ken Norton upset him, but he avenged both losses twice. His last three losses came long after he should have retired, but even then he beat Leon Spinks in a rematch.

Prior to his banishment the boxing world had never seen the combination of size, speed and athleticism Ali brought to the ring.

I agree.

It would be hard to argue this point.

Quote:Nobody in this thread said he was, and most agree with you, he wasn't the greatest boxer. But that's not why I called him the greatest in this thread.

Well said, RJ.  Ali was so much bigger than boxing.