Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags have best offense in AFC south..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don't know so much about the defense.. But offense is deff the best..
Forget just afc south, might be top 10 this year in NFL
Says a lot about our skill positions with how mediocre our line is.
I dunno.  I think the Colts with a healthy Andrew Luck warrant some consideration.

Our skill players are younger.

Our receivers are better.

Neither team has much of an OL.

Quote:I dunno.  I think the Colts with a healthy Andrew Luck warrant some consideration.

our stable of running backs are considerably better so winner Duval. 

We are the deepest WR bunch
The jury is out for me until I see if this OL is improved.  I agree when you look solely at the skill positions.

Quote:I dunno.  I think the Colts with a healthy Andrew Luck warrant some consideration.

I don't really see Luck and the colts as an offensive powerhouse. In Luck's single big statistical season in the league he had more than a quarter of his TD passes on the season against the Jaguars and titans. If the Jags and titans improve reasonably  then that will cut at least 5 or 6 TDs off Luck's season total, and that's assuming Luck's 2014 was the real him, and not the form we've seen in all of his other seasons with a lot of INTs and a so-so number of TD passes.
I am in the camp about the offensive lineman here. We've given up over 100+ sacks in just 29 NFL starts for Bortles. That's horrendous. We still need to get better in the running game. We still need to protect Bortles better. His thumb injury in the 2015 season finale could be a scary foreshadowing of what 2016 could look like during a few stretch of games when we need him to be healthy. And the turnovers. That has to be cut in half regardless if the defense improves. We simply have to see them continue to grow but it really needs to be seen in the trenches. 

We also need to a 3rd receiver to fully develop or rise to the challenge on this team. Whether it's Lee, Greene or Walters I don't honestly care. We just need to see somebody else come in and help out. Hurns and Robinson are getting more and more attention now. Which means it will eventually be more and more difficult to get them the football off and on throughout the season. Julius Thomas has to stay healthy as well. I think he showed flashes after his injury. But Bortles was desperately trying to force things his way too much. So hopefully that's corrected this pre-season. 

And don't discredit or discount a healthy Andrew Luck for the clots. I don't know why some folks keep sleeping on this team on here. They had one bad year with him being injury riddled and prior to 2015 they were always in play-off contention or leading the AFC South under his abilities. That's why they went out and focused early and heavily on bolstering his pass protection through the draft last month. 

Quote:In Luck's single big statistical season in the league he had more than a quarter of his TD passes on the season against the Jaguars and titans.

I understand what you're saying, and pretty much agree with it.

However, it stands to reason that at least a quarter or more of Luck's TD passes would be against the Jags/Tacks solely because that is actually a quarter of his season's games. Statistically, he should produce a quarter of his TD's in those games.

- Luck plays 4 games versus Jax and Tenn.

- 4/16 games is 1/4 of the whole season
Quote:I understand what you're saying, and pretty much agree with it.

However, it stands to reason that at least a quarter or more of Luck's TD passes would be against the Jags/Tacks solely because that is actually a quarter of his season's games. Statistically, he should produce a quarter of his TD's in those games.

- Luck plays 4 games versus Jax and Tenn.

- 4/16 games is 1/4 of the whole season

I said more than a quarter, not a quarter. In any case we'll see where Luck goes, the funny part is his 2014 season was very similar to Bortles 2015 season except that Luck got to play four gimme games against flailing Jaguars and titans teams and was a well seasoned third year QB that was widely lauded as the second coming of John Elway while Bortles was a second year guy coming in with super low expectations who was considered a surprising pick at #3 overall. When I look at Luck vs Bortles I see a lot of the same things with the big difference being the situation they've been put in.

2014 Luck - 40 TDs, 16 INTs.

2015 Bortles - 35 TDs 18 INTs.

I expect Bortles to be at least as good as Luck in the long run, and right now the only thing that will be holding him back is possibly the Gus Bus and its constant pit stops into the ditch.
Quote:I don't really see Luck and the colts as an offensive powerhouse. In Luck's single big statistical season in the league he had more than a quarter of his TD passes on the season against the Jaguars and titans. If the Jags and titans improve reasonably  then that will cut at least 5 or 6 TDs off Luck's season total, and that's assuming Luck's 2014 was the real him, and not the form we've seen in all of his other seasons with a lot of INTs and a so-so number of TD passes.
I know he was hurt last year, but my goodness did he look like hot garbage when he did get to come in and play.. 
Quote:I don't really see Luck and the colts as an offensive powerhouse. In Luck's single big statistical season in the league he had more than a quarter of his TD passes on the season against the Jaguars and titans. If the Jags and titans improve reasonably  then that will cut at least 5 or 6 TDs off Luck's season total, and that's assuming Luck's 2014 was the real him, and not the form we've seen in all of his other seasons with a lot of INTs and a so-so number of TD passes.
I'll say this.  If Luck's injury has altered his ability to pass the ball, the Colts are absolute toast.

However, if Luck's injury has sufficiently healed, the Colts will still be a dangerous offense.  If Dorsett develops, the speed that he and Hilton possess will give any number of teams problems.  That said, even if I am right about the Colts offense being formidable, we now are much better equipped to match up with them defensively and score with them offensively than we have been in years past. 

We have a realistic shot at being competitive with them.  We haven't been able to say that for years.
Oh yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Luck fares against these two teams going forward considering both us and the tacks were considered by most observers to have two of the better drafts in the league, and both added a bit to their defenses.  Tennessee seems to have added more to their front 7 with a new NT and an OLB (Dodd).  We seem to have added on all three levels of the defense, but the impact would seem to be more in the back 7 (Jack, Ramsey and Gipson)

It's kinda as if Tennessee is gearing up to stop the run while we are gearing up to stop the pass.
Quote:We have a realistic shot at being competitive with them. We haven't been able to say that for years.

Huh? Jags fans have been saying that every off season for many, many years.
Quote:Huh? Jags fans have been saying that every off season for many, many years.

Assuming this to be true, do you suggest there is absolutely nothing to suggest things will be different from this point forth, regarding the Jaguars competitive viability vis-à-vis the Colts?
Quote:Assuming this to be true, do you suggest there is absolutely nothing to suggest things will be different from this point forth, regarding the Jaguars competitive viability vis-à-vis the Colts?

I wouldn't worry about that guy.
Quote:I wouldn't worry about that guy.

...unless you're married to Marge Simpson.
Quote:...unless you're married to Marge Simpson.

He shows up about as often, is about as relevant to everything else as, and is about as likeable as his namesake.
We have the divisions best QB. Luck has had 1 good season in his NFL career. Bortles is way ahead despite having one of the worst lines any QB has had their first 2 years.

Pages: 1 2