Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is Blake Bortles rookie season the reason why
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
He's not getting the credit and respect he deserves as being a good QB in this league? It just seems to me that fans, analyst and some in the local media are dismissing his success he had last season base on among other things garbage time, the receivers bailing him out and analytics. I know at times I'm can be accused of being Blake Bortles biggest cheerleader and that's fine because i don't make no apologies for appreciating his game. What i don't understand is why people in general are quick to mention the negatives of this game like turnovers and  completion % instead of appreciating the things he has done well especially when its obvious that he's still developing as a QB in this league. 

So i'm truly asking everyone on a serious level why is that the case because to me his success or lack thereof success is starting to become a controversial topic on many levels. 

Nah, u don't see it the way you do. Blake has been getting a bunch of respect. We are on the top of every offensive offseason rankings and he's been lauded for being the show runner of this young offense.
Negative. The criticism on the turnovers and completion percentage is fair. But most analysts outside of Jacksonville fail to mention that he's also the most sacked QB over the last two years. That he has virtually no running game behind him. And that he was also in his 2nd year in yet another new system after a fast rookie season. His leap from year one to year two was awesome. I expect him to continue to shine in year three. Ultimately, he's going to get the credit he deserves soon enough. Allen Hurns cracking the top 100 player's list at 88 and Allen Robinson more than likely cracking the top 60 or even 50 this year is a testament to him as a QB. The players see that. It's not like Hurns and Robinson rack up these yards and touchdowns on their own out there. Just give it another year or two. I think you'll see soon enough. 

Quote:Nah, u don't see it the way you do. Blake has been getting a bunch of respect. We are on the top of every offensive offseason rankings and he's been lauded for being the show runner of this young offense.
Yes on one hand you're right and on the other hand when Blake's name is mention is like yeah but name criticism here and i just don't understand it especially when his flaws is on par with every other QB in their development. 
I think most people list him as a good quarterback. I think it is widely believed that his TD numbers were inflated because the team was forced to throw alot and he is dismissed as having many "garbage time" touchdowns. It is probably partially true but also takes away from the fact that he had a good year.

High interceptions and low win total. If he wins 11 games this year I see them ranking him top 10 QB and perennial pro bowl player

Quote:High interceptions and low win total. If he wins 11 games this year I see them ranking him top 10 QB and perennial pro bowl player
Wins is a team thing and its not his fault the defense was the worst in Jaguars history. However, i can agree with your opinion and i appreciate you and others for taking this topic seriously so Thank you. 
Wins cure many media evils for QBs...

I've never understood this whole "respect" thing.  Who flippin cares, seriously.  I care about wins and a charged up stadium on Sundays and see the look of defeat in the other teams fans.  Although those days haven't been often of late, I think they will be returning soon.

Quote:I've never understood this whole "respect" thing.  Who flippin cares, seriously.  I care about wins and a charged up stadium on Sundays and see the look of defeat in the other teams fans.  Although those days haven't been often of late, I think they will be returning soon.
we all want wins and want our players to be appreciated throughout the league. These players not only represent themselves and the team but the city itsself so we should want them to be recognized on tv shows, magazines among other things. 
I think a big reason is that fans have this misguided concept of team record being the scorecard for QBs. Since the team that Bortles quarterbacks has a bad record, then he must be a bad quarterback. Easy logic is easy.

He's a high risk high reward passer right now. He'll ascend into top 10 QBs in the league if he cleans up some of the bad this year. On top of the INTs and sacks, I saw a stat the other day that mentioned he led the league in balls batted at the line of scrimmage last year as well.

Fantasy football and exuberant homerism are making some ignore the negatives and forget just how bad and untimely some of his mistakes were. It's ok to cheer our guy on and at the same time understand who and what he is right now. I'm expecting progression in his game this year and for some of the sloppy to be cleaned up. If that happens, we should be in the playoffs and the criticism will largely die down.
high ints

low wins (qb winzzz)

his numbers and efficiency as far as advanced stats/analytics go are pretty poor

hes a jaguar

clean all these up and its a diff story
Quote:I've never understood this whole "respect" thing.  Who flippin cares, seriously.  I care about wins and a charged up stadium on Sundays and see the look of defeat in the other teams fans.  Although those days haven't been often of late, I think they will be returning soon.

Yeah Fred Taylor never received the respect he deserved in his playing days. Just 1 pro bowl despite having seven 1,000 yard rushing seasons. Hall of Fame Rb Jim Brown has spoken very highly of Fred on several occasions.
Quote:He's a high risk high reward passer right now. He'll ascend into top 10 QBs in the league if he cleans up some of the bad this year. On top of the INTs and sacks, I saw a stat the other day that mentioned he led the league in balls batted at the line of scrimmage last year as well.

Fantasy football and exuberant homerism are making some ignore the negatives and forget just how bad and untimely some of his mistakes were. It's ok to cheer our guy on and at the same time understand who and what he is right now. I'm expecting progression in his game this year and for some of the sloppy to be cleaned up. If that happens, we should be in the playoffs and the criticism will largely die down.
It's not that homers like me ignore the negatives but it like people want to be a hall of famer in his second year knowing that he wasn't NFL ready and a project coming out of UCF. Just now i heard MIke Dempsey point out his interceptions on a segment with John Oehser and i'm saying he threw only 18 of them. Big Ben threw 16 int and 21 td's in only 12 games last year and he been in the league for a while and no one criticize him for his turnovers. People constantly point out the turnovers like blake broke Peyton Manning rookie record with 28 and in the case of Peyton he didn't throw a low int number until his 6th season. So all i'm saying is for Blake to be ultra efficient and manage the offense it takes time and for people to want him to be that after his second season is unrealistic.  
Success is misleading because of garbage time.
Quote:Success is misleading because of garbage time.

Honest question: How can you legitimately make this claim?

I know I'm old and my memory is nowhere near what it once was, but we were in something like 11 out of 16 games going into the 4th quarter last year. By "In" I mean either had a lead or were within striking distance. Now, by definition, garbage time would imply that these stats were generated when your team was in no realistic position to score.

I suppose, considering just how terribad our D was last season, you could make a case that we all knew they likely wouldn't be able to hold on...but that still should not be an indictment on Blake specifically.
What's your definition of garbage time stats? To me garbage time is when the game is already decide because of a huge lead and the opposing defense is playing prevent defense to get the game over. If you think garbage time is when a person throws the ball because the team is behind then alot of team has garbage time stats including what you considered top 10 qb's. 

Keep on trollin' brotha
Cut down the picks, especially the pick 6-s, and you will probably see his respect level go way up around the league and with sports writers.

Pages: 1 2 3