Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 4-3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm a bit surprised there isn't a thread here given the speculation that's been rampart on the board. After the signing of Calais Campbell, many (myself included) assumed the Jaguars are staying to the 4-3/3-4 Hybrid front that we've used since Gus Bradley took over. However, Doug Marrone has come out that we will be a 4-3 front. More importantly, he talked about having two bookend pass rushers. Obviously, the hybrid front that we've used before uses a 5T/4B LE (that most assumed will be manned by Calais). That position is most definitely not a pass-rushing position.

The other tidbit that Doug confirmed however, is a change in the back end. This has been hinted before, but his comments at the Owners meeting all but confirms that the single-high FS/box SS Cover 3 zone that we've employed in the past will remain there for the most part.

So..this then brings some interesting things...

Even during Campbell's interview, he talked about playing LE on base downs and sliding inside for passing downs. I suppose this is no surprise, as he even admitted to not having talked to TC and Doug until after he was in town signing the contract. But with our shift to a more traditional 4-3 front, does Calais slide inside?

Where does that leave Abry Jones, who most expected to play the NT role he played last season in place of Roy Miller?

Does this open up the possibility of Fowler at LE to pair with Yannick? This would seem to jive with what Fowler has said he's been working on in the off-season (pass rush moves, bend).

There's also possible ramifications on the draft: I believe this makes Thomas a more appealing option for us (traditional 4-3 LE) as opposed to Jonathan Allen (who would become the 4th guy behind Malik, Calais, and Jones at the DT spot).

Personally, I think we're going to get way from the Hybrid Tweaner aspect of defensive players playing multiple positions --- it leads to too much confusion and thinking.

TC is more about getting a strong push up from from your front 4 and letting the LBs and Secondary do their job.  I'm not envisioning all the confusing multiple-position crap that Gus brought to town.

Abry will most likely be a rotational Guy on running downs. Fowler will most likely pair up with Yannick on passing downs with Calais moving inside.

I think you will see a lot of looks depending on the down and distance.

I believe you're reading too much into his comments, and that the past scheme will remain largely intact especially up front. Wash does run a 4-3... it's not really a "hybrid." A "hybrid" is more what Del RIo ran because he'd run a base 4-3 but would switch up to a 3-4. Oesher calls the Jaguars 4-3 scheme a "hybrid" because it's kind of based of 3-4 principles with a 4-3 look. I don't necessarily see any of that changing. Listening to the same interview, Marrone also said the main changes we might notice will be in the secondary, and not so much in the front seven.

Quote:I believe you're reading too much into his comments, and that the past scheme will remain largely intact especially up front. Wash does run a 4-3... it's not really a "hybrid." A "hybrid" is more what Del RIo ran because he'd run a base 4-3 but would switch up to a 3-4. Oesher calls the Jaguars 4-3 scheme a "hybrid" because it's kind of based of 3-4 principles with a 4-3 look. I don't necessarily see any of that changing. Listening to the same interview, Marrone also said the main changes we might notice will be in the secondary, and not so much in the front seven.

Then what about Marrone's comment that he wants BOTH ends rushing the passer?
?!?!?!

JDR was most certainly a 4-3 and not some "hybrid."

Let's not confuse sub packages or called plays for base fronts.

If JDR had ever called any three man/3 DL fronts, it was most likely some sort of prevent called in a particular situation.  This wasn't anything he ever did on run downs in normal situations.

I expect the front to be largely the same as last year. A big end on base and Fowler coming in on passing downs with Calais kicking inside.

I don't think we'll completely ditch the Cover 3 either, just add more looks.

We probably ran the most basic defense in the league with Bradley. How many times did opponents say "they don't do a whole lot back there" or "we knew what they wanted to do"

I think Wash rectifies that.
Quote:I expect the front to be largely the same as last year. A big end on base and Fowler coming in on passing downs with Calais kicking inside.

We probably ran the most basic defense in the league with Bradley. How many times did opponents say "they don't do a whole lot back there" or "we knew what they wanted to do"

I too think wash does fix that but it's the players and their abilities that allow him to change up and not present obvious weaknesses to oposing teams when he does.

Also I just don't see TC having us run any sets that leave one guy back as a last resort safety.

Idk...I mean maybe if somebody steps up and really nails it like DD did then maybe.

But Tom appears to want to get it done at the line.=

Run stuffing, qb smashing defense with no open receivers down field will equal success and I can't WAIT! TO SEE US SMASH PEOPLE LOL

We're gonna run tight press coverage on the outside and we're gonna be really physical both inside and outside.

We have the guys who can do all of this.

And we haven't even drafted yet ! Lol

There's no need to do anything fancy.

Get to the qb and smash him.

Stop the rb at or behind the line

Cover the wrs leaving Noone open and make them pay with hard hits if they do catch the ball.

I have a feeling this is what we're gonna see next year= lots of sacks, lots of hard hits, lots to cheer for.....

I have high expectations for our defense.

I think we will be a top 5 defense maybe better.

I think we shut everyone down next year.

I also think we start getting some serious respect.

Ramsey isn't the only guy who's gonna break out either I think we're gonna have 3 to 6 guys make the pro bowl next year from defense alone.

I'm not thinking fowler makes it.

But I do think he will be very productive and show he was a good pick.

Now that there are 3 guys on our defense that have proven to get to the qb, fowler is gonna be overlooked a lot. And I believe he benefits from it greatly.

I know....u want some of my teal cool aid don't you?

I am being 100% serious though and I can't WAIT for the games to begin.
How many wide receivers get 100 yards against us next year?

How many running backs get 100 yards against us next year?

I think 3 receivers do

And maybe MAYBE 1 RB
Were apparently FINALLY going to run a scheme that fits our players.

I think gus was trying to make our players fit his scheme? Am I correct?

And gus refused to change the scheme at all right?
The defense is basically staying the same up front. The only difference will be more two safety looks.

Quote:I expect the front to be largely the same as last year. A big end on base and Fowler coming in on passing downs with Calais kicking inside.

Agreed.  Better, more aggressive coverage schemes are what I think we have coming.  (helped by a bit more pressure up front) 

I'm hoping to see solid doses of Cover 1 Robber,  and hopefully some stuff where they are showing cover 2 but play Cover 4/Quarters or Cover 6/Trap.  

Essentially - it's an opportunity to get Myles Jack,  Tashaun Gipson, and Barry Church opportunities to make plays and its facilitated by Church bringing the ability to disguise safety assignments that we didn't have before.  (And press coverage outside that can be trusted.)

Quote:Were apparently FINALLY going to run a scheme that fits our players.

I think gus was trying to make our players fit his scheme? Am I correct?

And gus refused to change the scheme at all right?

It's that to some degree, and also Gus over-simplifying the scheme to mitigate coverage mistakes by bad safeties and an aging MLB. 

Expect Wash to be more aggressive and less "dumbed-down" with his back seven defenders this season compared to anything we've seen thus far in the Caldwell era. 
Quote: 

Where does that leave Abry Jones, who most expected to play the NT role he played last season in place of Roy Miller?

Does this open up the possibility of Fowler at LE to pair with Yannick? This would seem to jive with what Fowler has said he's been working on in the off-season (pass rush moves, bend).

Abry is your base package NT.  In nickel Campbell rushes from that same spot. 

Fowler would likely play some rotational weak-side end in base package and then rush opposite Yannick from the strong-side end in nickel packages. 
The thing that has surprised me is the talk of Gibson and Church both being able to play in the box or cover deep.

I mean Gibson is a decent tackler for a free safety, but I wouldn't have thought you'd want him anywhere near the box.
Quote:?!?!?!

JDR was most certainly a 4-3 and not some "hybrid."

Let's not confuse sub packages or called plays for base fronts.

If JDR had ever called any three man/3 DL fronts, it was most likely some sort of prevent called in a particular situation.  This wasn't anything he ever did on run downs in normal situations.

Sure it was, although I'd understand if you weren't quite breaking down his defenses as thoroughly as I was.

Yeah his base was a straight up 4-3, but he'd go to a 3-4 for an entire series....not just a down or two...even early in games with the opponent was still running the ball.

Quote:Then what about Marrone's comment that he wants BOTH ends rushing the passer?

It makes sense. The strongside end's primary role is contain the run, but on passing downs his job has always been to rush the passer... it's just he has to do so against more traffic. What you need is a more powerful end able to deal with the traffic and still get to the passer. I guy like Campbell is well suited for this role, and so is Kieonta Davis, a potential late-round DE the Jaguars recently had in for a visit. The only difference I see is that talent is better suited for this role compared to Odrick and Alualu.

Quote:The thing that has surprised me is the talk of Gibson and Church both being able to play in the box or cover deep.

I mean Gibson is a decent tackler for a free safety, but I wouldn't have thought you'd want him anywhere near the box.

It's more about setting him up with opportunities to jump the routes of crossing TEs and slot receivers -  but trusting him to be "good enough" in run support if needed when his number is called.  

It also takes away some of the QB's ability to read coverage on the outside if he doesn't know pre-snap which safety will drop and which will play the box. 

(don't expect to see Church in single high with Gipson near the line over a TE or WR - they'd show a cover 2 look and move at the snap)
Quote:Sure it was, although I'd understand if you weren't quite breaking down his defenses as thoroughly as I was.

Yeah his base was a straight up 4-3, but he'd go to a 3-4 for an entire series....not just a down or two...even early in games with the opponent was still running the ball.

Coming to that conclusion tells me you weren't "breaking down" his defenses as thoroughly as you thought you were.

JDR ran 4-3 here exclusively.  So much so, guys like Alfie were begging for a change to 3-4, although we never had the personnel for it.
Quote:It's more about setting him up with opportunities to jump the routes of crossing TEs and slot receivers - but trusting him to be "good enough" in run support if needed when his number is called.

It also takes away some of the QB's ability to read coverage on the outside if he doesn't know pre-snap which safety will drop and which will play the box.

(don't expect to see Church in single high with Gipson near the line over a TE or WR - they'd show a cover 2 look and move at the snap)

That makes more sense, thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3