Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: House Passes Bill killing broadband privacy protections
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fc...story.html

I'm guessing most people here are for this.  I don't understand why--now your ISP can use your browser history for whatever they want, without your consent.  And if you happen to live in an area where your choice between ISPs are limited... then tough luck I guess.  I'm not sure why this regulation was so terrible, other than I guess ISPs could make more money off selling customer data if they didn't have to get their permission first.

Expect more of this over the next 10+ years. Once they get the internet on lockdown its ovvaaa

[Image: 200x200px-ZC-ce101075_ron-swanson-comput...nd-rec.gif]

Quote:http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fc...story.html

I'm guessing most people here are for this.  I don't understand why--now your ISP can use your browser history for whatever they want, without your consent.  And if you happen to live in an area where your choice between ISPs are limited... then tough luck I guess.  I'm not sure why this regulation was so terrible, other than I guess ISPs could make more money off selling customer data if they didn't have to get their permission first.
Not for this at all. The only time 'big government' applies anymore as being bad is when 'big companies' want to shaft people. I would be fine with this bill if it ended cable monopoly's on internet in multiple areas.
Sad thing is, it's hard to actually find any sort of reasoning to how this is good for the citizens of this country.
Quote:Sad thing is, it's hard to actually find any sort of reasoning to how this is good for the citizens of this country.

It's not. It's terrible. This law was bought and paid for and not with American tax dollars.
Wait .... do you mean Verizon can share my desire for scantly clothed bubushka women of Siberia?

Quote:Wait .... do you mean Verizon can share my desire for scantly clothed bubushka women of Siberia?

Sounds like a hairy predicament.
Quote:Sounds like a hairy predicament.

very
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/151006...-fire-sale

It just sucks that the worst kind of people represent the rest of us. In an ideal world, the best and brightest would lead us - not the absolute scum of the earth.
Quote:http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/151006...-fire-sale

It just sucks that the worst kind of people represent the rest of us. In an ideal world, the best and brightest would lead us - not the absolute scum of the earth.

The best aren't always the brightest and the brightest have proven to not be the best.
So there's one less paragraph in the I accept terms and conditions disclosure?

Funny I'm all for privacy but you want to bark at privacy start with the NSA and the police state. Regardless of any regulation of course for profit isp are selling and recording your data they just had you sign off on it in that text of terms and conditions.

There would be no incentive for an internet if it wasn't to buy and sell data about consumers.
Quote:So there's one less paragraph in the I accept terms and conditions disclosure?

Funny I'm all for privacy but you want to bark at privacy start with the NSA and the police state. Regardless of any regulation of course for profit isp are selling and recording your data they just had you sign off on it in that text of terms and conditions.

There would be no incentive for an internet if it wasn't to buy and sell data about consumers.

And besides the ridiculous high fees they charge isn't incentive enough ?
Quote:And besides the ridiculous high fees they charge isn't incentive enough ?

Nope, you're the product they're selling.
Quote:Nope, you're the product they're selling.

I don't know enough about this topic. But aren't you already allowing this kind of thing with your Winn-Dixie card and other store cards?

Except they offer you something in return.
Quote:I don't know enough about this topic. But aren't you already allowing this kind of thing with your Winn-Dixie card and other store cards?

Except they offer you something in return.

Yes, thats why I dont do that either. And pay in cash.
Quote:Yes, thats why I dont do that either. And pay in cash.

It all reminds me of that personal advertisement scene from the Minority Report.
Quote:It all reminds me of that personal advertisement scene from the Minority Report.

Big Data is a big deal in marketing, it's why I worry about how much it's invading health care. If the public knew or cared what CMS is implementing and how private insurers are on their boot heels we'd be rioting over the invasion.