Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: I'm done with low expectations.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
No more hoping for 9-7.   This team is loaded.  The new faces added this offseason alone could build the nucleus of a playoff team.

I expect this team to go out and win the division. Injuries shouldn't be a factor, unless we're talking Bortles.

It's baffling that I keep hearing people expecting us to lose to San Diego.  There is zero reason we should be expecting to lose to San Diego.

Totally agree. I'm not digging Ozones mentality at all. This is not the time for dampened expectations. We need to expect a major turn around, we have amassed, as far as I'm concerned, ALL the pieces we need to have a successful team. Anything less of .500 is a HUGE disappointment in my mind.
Has this same topic been posted in the 2009-2015 off seasons?

Quote:Has this same topic been posted in the 2009-2015 off seasons?

FULL CONSISTENCY
I'm on board. I'm expecting playoffs.
Quote:Has this same topic been posted in the 2009-2015 off seasons?

Can you name one of those seasons where we had as much infusion of talent as this year? Essentially we have three first round draft picks coming on board and each one was considered a top five defensive prospect?

I can't remember any of our draft classes being ranked number one by almost everybody.

Then you add the free agents....

There's no excuse for not winning this year. The Jags have the most talent of any team in the division. Other teams may have more talent at certain positions...but no one has as much talent across the board.
Anything short of 9 wins would be disrespectful to Khan, Caldwell and the entire fan base. If Gus can't get it done with these guys, the jig is up as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:Can you name one of those seasons where we had as much infusion of talent as this year? Essentially we have three first round draft picks coming on board and each one was considered a top five defensive prospect?

I can't remember any of our draft classes being ranked number one by almost everybody.

Then you add the free agents....

There's no excuse for not winning this year. The Jags have the most talent of any team in the division. Other teams may have more talent at certain positions...but no one has as much talent across the board.
It's nice that you have such enthusiasm for the upcoming season! Perhaps you will allow me to introduce you to some possible reasons why virtually no one else in the NFL agrees with you;

*We do have some great new talent... on paper. Repeat: 'on paper'. We don't know what the new veterans are going to do here for us yet. We also don't know what our new rookies will do, at least this season.

*Repeat: 'rookies'. It generally takes rookies... even very good ones, a season or two to 'catch on' to things. Rarely do rookies contribute in their first season.

Figure the odds: Vegas' has already put us at near the bottom of the barrel in the odds to win the SB this season. Why do you suppose that is? Remember... they're not drinking the 'teal kool aid' like some here do.

*We have a pretty good quarterback in Bortles... who was sacked an alarming number of times while in the worst division in the NFL! It's hard to be a winning leader on the field when you spend so much time on your back. We have a poor offensive line...and games are won and lost in the trenches. Period. 

Quote:It's baffling that I keep hearing people expecting us to lose to San Diego.  There is zero reason we should be expecting to lose to San Diego.
Because no matter how good this team is or has been, we generally play really bad on the west coast.
Quote:It's nice that you have such enthusiasm for the upcoming season! Perhaps you will allow me to introduce you to some possible reasons why virtually no one else in the NFL agrees with you;

*We do have some great new talent... on paper. Repeat: 'on paper'. We don't know what the new veterans are going to do here for us yet. We also don't know what our new rookies will do, at least this season.

*Repeat: 'rookies'. It generally takes rookies... even very good ones, a season or two to 'catch on' to things. Rarely do rookies contribute in their first season.

Figure the odds: Vegas' has already put us at near the bottom of the barrel in the odds to win the SB this season. Why do you suppose that is? Remember... they're not drinking the 'teal kool aid' like some here do.

*We have a pretty good quarterback in Bortles... who was sacked an alarming number of times while in the worst division in the NFL! It's hard to be a winning leader on the field when you spend so much time on your back. We have a poor offensive line...and games are won and lost in the trenches. Period.
I disagree. Houston and Indy are two solid teams. The Texans have an elite defense and our pass blocking was not horrible last year. Bottles had time to throw. The run blocking wasn't very good and it's that reason that attributed to the amount of sacks. It was easy for the opposing D-lines to rush the passer when you are one dimensional. O-line should be improved this year and with a decent rushing attack it should cut down on those sack numbers.it's year four in this process. The time to win is now and it should be expected that jags make playoffs or bust.
Lol hoping for 9-7 is low expectations?

Dellusional thinking.
Quote: The time to win is now and it should be expected that jags make playoffs or bust.

Why bust? It's a young team, do you want to go through the last 8 years again?
Quote:Because no matter how good this team is or has been, we generally play really bad on the west coast.

That's the usual argument.  But San Diego is exactly the type of team they should be able to beat if they want to even think about getting above 8-8.  The idea that the team can't play good due to what coast they are on is another low expectation.
Quote:Because no matter how good this team is or has been, we generally play really bad on the west coast.

And it's not just the Jags. Historically East coast teams struggle on the West coast.
We have been tanking all these year to get a top pick guys. Now Gus is serious
Quote:No more hoping for 9-7.   This team is loaded.  The new faces added this offseason alone could build the nucleus of a playoff team.

I expect this team to go out and win the division. Injuries shouldn't be a factor, unless we're talking Bortles.

Funny thing about expectations.

Goals set should be attainable.

Goals set should be reasonable.

When goals are set arbitrarily, then your setting yourself up for failure.

Oesher has the benefit of something none of us on the boards have.

20+ years working in the industry and understands the up's and down's.

I know Fans gotta Fan.

I also know that stamping your foot and making a demand without deliberation is the path to heartbreak.

Let's get thru the preseason first, then the first four games before storming the Bank with pitchforks.

HeadSlap
Quote:No more hoping for 9-7.   This team is loaded.  The new faces added this offseason alone could build the nucleus of a playoff team.

I'd take 9-7 in a heartbeat this year.

We may have a lot of high profile names on D but the players need get in sync with one another and that's going to take quite some time.
Quote:That's the usual argument.  But San Diego is exactly the type of team they should be able to beat if they want to even think about getting above 8-8.  The idea that the team can't play good due to what coast they are on is another low expectation.
I'm expecting them to win that game. They are better than SD but the west coast thing is real. Whether you want to admit it or not.
I expect 16-0 and no less.
Pages: 1 2