Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Indy is Instructive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is an interesting article in Pro Football Weekly about the Colts efforts to protect Andrew Luck.

Of particular interest to me was this passage.

Quote: 

Yet despite Luck's overall durability, the Colts cannot escape the 115 times Luck has been sacked since arriving in the league. That's why they spent their first-round pick, No. 18 overall, on Alabama center Ryan Kelly and their third-round pick on Texas Tech offensive tackle Le'Raven Clark. In total, Indianapolis spent four of its eight draft selections on offensive linemen.

"I think it was obviously a position of need for us," Colts guard Jack Mewhort told reporters last week. "I think going into the draft, we only had seven guys in the room, so obviously, we needed to add numbers. On top of that, competition brings the best out of everybody."

Luck will also have his third offensive coordinator in five years, so when quarterbacks coach Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Joe Philbin are brought on board, it might bode well for the Colts offense when Chudzinski and Schottenheimer are "close" philisophically, especially considering Luck has thrown 55 interceptions to date.
(Emphasis added)

Luck has had some success since he is been in the league.  But I know many Jaguars fans don't fear him the way we feared Manning.  Sacks and INTs are a reason why. 

Meanwhile, Jaguars fans are stoked over Bortles development from year 1 to year two, and for good reason.  Throwing 35 TDs and over 4000 yards  in his second year is more than Jaguars fans could have realistically hoped or imagined.  Confidence in Bortles and the offense is high.

But if Luck taking 115 sacks since 2012 was problematic enough for the Colts to spend four draft picks on offensive linemen this year, what, then, are we to make of the 106 sacks Bortles has taken in half the time?  To put this in additional, more frightening perspective, David Carr actually took fewer sacks his first two seasons (91) than Bortles did, and Carr had a rookie year where he suffered 76 sacks!

It's not as if the Jaguars don't have receivers that can separate.  If anything, the Jaguars are more loaded at the position than Indy. Why, then, is Bortles taking all of the abuse?  I think part of it is attributable to Bortles himself.  A favorite comparison analysts used to evaluate Bortles was Ben Roethlisberger.  Roethlisberger has taken a lot of sacks because he often holds on to the ball for a long time to scramble and make plays.  Bortles is the same way.  I think some of that is due to inexperience, not only generally speaking, but in the scheme.  Now that he is in his 3rd year, and his second within the same scheme, I expect him to make quicker and smarter decisions and reduce some of the hits he takes.

But it's certainly not all on Bortles, either.  Part of the problem has been the running game.  While Yeldon looked promising last year, the fact is, due to some poor performances from the OL, and game circumstances that forced the team to abandon the running game in many cases, it put an inordinate burden on Bortles to throw the ball and the OL to protect him.  If the team hopes to reduce the number of hits and sacks Bortles takes, they have to provide a more rugged, consistent and persistent running attack.  I think the addition of Ivory and the return of Linder will help with that, but Olsen has to be committed to the running game, too.

But I think ultimately, talent dictates performance, or lack thereof.  Unfortunately, I don't think the OL escapes blame here, either.  If we hit on Joeckel, the issues would not have been so bad and we would not have brought in Beachum to compete with him.  But his performance in the season ending loss to the Texans, where he singularly gave up 5 sacks, should have rung alarm bells.  But LT isn't the only problem.  Right now, LG is a huge question mark.  There is some thought that the loser of the Beachum-Joeckel battle at LT will simply slide inside to LG, but I don't think it's that simple.  Joeckel has had problems with power outside.  Sliding him inside will pit him against far more powerful players than he faced outside.  I think as a short term fix, the Jaguars should make another short term, risk free Woerner type signing of a vet to plug inside.  Slauson might have been a good fit, but he went to SD.  I might advocate Louis Vasquez, most recently with Denver.  He had a good career in a power running attack in San Diego.  He signed with Denver under Mike Fox, who had another power running attack, but became a fish out of water in the Kubiak version of the WCO.  I think an experienced, power guy like him will help the running game that will take some of the pressure off Bortles, and provide a good pocket when Bortles has to drop back to throw.  But I think next year, offensive line has to be a primary focus of the draft if we want him to remain upright in the future.
Sounds like they're trying to make excuses for Luck.

Minnesota fans say that garbage too, claiming teddy was the most pressured and that's why he sucks.

Bortles had it worse and did better.
Quote:Sounds like they're trying to make excuses for Luck.

Minnesota fans say that garbage too, claiming teddy was the most pressured and that's why he sucks.

Bortles had it worse and did better.
First off, Indy already had success with Luck.  They have made the playoffs several times under him.

Secondly, if they really didn't believe OL was the issue, why would they invest 4 draft picks in one draft, including the first round pick, on offensive linemen?  If they thought Luck himself was the issue, why wouldn't they have drafted competition for him?  They were in position to draft Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, and any other QB not named Goff and Wentz.  But they didn't.

It's good that Bortles performed well under adversity.  But if we want him to develop into the QB we hope he can be, we have to  minimize the adversity he is facing.

We've got to build the OL.
Luck was at his ceiling when he entered the league.

Blake hasn't even touched his ceiling yet. With more adversity.

The media shoves Luck and his guaranteed elite status down our throats while he's just slightly above average.
Our line should be much improved by the way.. If Beachum works out we just need a G.

Then just refresh the oline every year with a new position in the draft for the future.
Quote:First off, Indy already had success with Luck.  They have made the playoffs several times under him.

Secondly, if they really didn't believe OL was the issue, why would they invest 4 draft picks in one draft, including the first round pick, on offensive linemen?  If they thought Luck himself was the issue, why wouldn't they have drafted competition for him?  They were in position to draft Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, and any other QB not named Goff and Wentz.  But they didn't.

It's good that Bortles performed well under adversity.  But if we want him to develop into the QB we hope he can be, we have to  minimize the adversity he is facing.

I agree with everything you've written.  

That said, there are a lot of ways to reduce sacks without doing anything about the offensive line. 

1) Adding Ivory to pair with Yeldon.   The threat of the run will force the opposing defense to stay home.  If DEs like JJ Watt want to beat the OT around the edge, the result will be that they simply run themselves out of the play, thank you very much. 

2) Get a better defense so we don't fall behind so often and are forced to throw to catch up.  If we're behind by 10 points in the 4th quarter, Blake is a sitting duck.  

3) Tight end.   With a year in the system and good health, Julius Thomas can become that all-important safety valve. 

Let's face it, when the only really strong area of the team is the downfield passing attack, we are going to give up a lot of sacks.   Sacks are really a fault of the entire team, both offense and defense.   Strengthening any area of the team spills over into other areas and strengthens them as well.   So, ironically, spending our entire draft on defense should reduce the number of sacks we take on offense.  

The thing is, I don't remember Blake getting clobbered like Blaine Gabbert did.  Maybe my memory is failing me, but it seems like Gabbert got beat up much worse than Blake has been. 

Quote:First off, Indy already had success with Luck.  They have made the playoffs several times under him.

I would say the main reason the Colts made the playoffs is because of the absolutely sorry state that the AFC south has been in lately. They had really no competition whatsoever, basically handed the division title on a silver platter every year.

But yeah, we do need to get more help on the offensive line. I like what we have done this offseason for the defense, but we are banking on guys that are pretty much unproven and/or coming off injuries to help out on the offensive line. We need to get some continuity on the offensive line for Bortles so he can continue to progress. I don't have the answer as to how to do that, but its something we need.
I am pretty old school when I think of the saying that 'wars are won and lost in the trenches'. It should be obvious to almost anyone that the most immediate improvement our team could have (beyond bolstering our pathetic defense) was to improve our pathetic offensive line. I would anticipate that our next draft will feature offensive linesmen for the very reasons pointed out by Bullseye.

Quote:I agree with everything you've written.  

That said, there are a lot of ways to reduce sacks without doing anything about the offensive line. 

1) Adding Ivory to pair with Yeldon.   The threat of the run will force the opposing defense to stay home.  If DEs like JJ Watt want to beat the OT around the edge, the result will be that they simply run themselves out of the play, thank you very much. 

2) Get a better defense so we don't fall behind so often and are forced to throw to catch up.  If we're behind by 10 points in the 4th quarter, Blake is a sitting duck.  

3) Tight end.   With a year in the system and good health, Julius Thomas can become that all-important safety valve. 

Let's face it, when the only really strong area of the team is the downfield passing attack, we are going to give up a lot of sacks.   Sacks are really a fault of the entire team, both offense and defense.   Strengthening any area of the team spills over into other areas and strengthens them as well.   So, ironically, spending our entire draft on defense should reduce the number of sacks we take on offense.  

The thing is, I don't remember Blake getting clobbered like Blaine Gabbert did.  Maybe my memory is failing me, but it seems like Gabbert got beat up much worse than Blake has been. 
I touched on many of these points in the original post, but in light of your input, more elaboration is needed.

Your point about the defense keeping us in games and out of obvious passing situations is spot on.  If the defense is not giving up 28 ppg, that reduces the pressure to keep up with the opposing offenses by passing every down.  Heaven forbid if the defense starts forcing turnovers and giving us leads, we could pound the rock more. 

There were signs late last year that Thomas was becoming that safety blanket Bortles needs.  I can recall several key 3rd down instances where Bortles would move and hit Thomas for a first down to continue drives.  With a full year in the offense for both Thomas and Bortles (and for that matter all of the receivers and most of the linemen), the reads and keys should become second nature and a lot faster and more reliable.  That should reduce the number of sacks.
Quote:I would say the main reason the Colts made the playoffs is because of the absolutely sorry state that the AFC south has been in lately. They had really no competition whatsoever, basically handed the division title on a silver platter every year.

But yeah, we do need to get more help on the offensive line. I like what we have done this offseason for the defense, but we are banking on guys that are pretty much unproven and/or coming off injuries to help out on the offensive line. We need to get some continuity on the offensive line for Bortles so he can continue to progress. I don't have the answer as to how to do that, but its something we need.
To me, the frightening thing about the words in bold is that the Jaguars have played in that same weak division these past two years and still gave up all of those sacks.
Good think Bortles has great size and is tough as nails. If we drafted Teddy or Maziel both of their careers would be over as we speak with how our oline has been since Bortles was drafted
Quote:I am pretty old school when I think of the saying that 'wars are won and lost in the trenches'. It should be obvious to almost anyone that the most immediate improvement our team could have (beyond bolstering our pathetic defense) was to improve our pathetic offensive line. I would anticipate that our next draft will feature offensive linesmen for the very reasons pointed out by Bullseye.
I think our guards are okay (RG and C factoring in the move of Linder to C).  But the tackles are a major concern for me-not only the starters, but the reserves as well.

As much as I loved this draft, I can't help but wonder how this draft would have turned out had we managed to sign either Vernon or Ayers in free agency.  Would more attention have been given to the O-Line?

At this point, I don't think you'd hear any complaints from me if we drafted 2-3 tackles in the next draft.
Quote:To me, the frightening thing about the words in bold is that the Jaguars have played in that same weak division these past two years and still gave up all of those sacks.
Yeah, but in all fairness, we have been pretty much the weakest link in the division those years. Our defense has been a complete joke and only recently has our offense started to come around.

Things appear to be changing for the better for us, which brings a lot of the optimism that is shown around here. I'm ready for this damn season to start already, I want to see how all these guys work together. I think we finally have a chance to at least compete for a division title, not this garbage we've been dealing with lately, with being practically out of the post season talks by mid October.
Quote:To me, the frightening thing about the words in bold is that the Jaguars have played in that same weak division these past two years and still gave up all of those sacks.

The division may be weak but Indy and Houston both have a strong pass rush.

Quote:The division may be weak but Indy and Houston both have a strong pass rush.
I don't see Indy as having a strong pass rush.

Houston?  Definitely.

Indy?  They had one fewer sack than we did.
Quote:I don't see Indy as having a strong pass rush.

Houston? Definitely.

Indy? They had one fewer sack than we did.
He remembers the days of Robert Mathis and that other dude with a killer spin move who would be nothing without fake turf. Can't even remember that guys name

Dwight Freeney. I remembered. Lol
Quote:He remembers the days of Robert Mathis and that other dude with a killer spin move who would be nothing without fake turf. Can't even remember that guys name
Dwight Freeney.

When Mathis and Freeney were in their primes, and Indy played with a bunch of leads, absolutely they had a good pass rush.
Quote: 

But I know many Jaguars fans don't fear him the way we feared Manning.  Sacks and INTs are a reason why. 

After beating Luck in his 1st game vs the Jags (2012) do you realize we are 0-5 against Andrew Luck and have been outscored 161-43 in those 5 games.  That's an average score of 32-9 in those 5 games.

Luck Year 1 - Playoffs (after colts finished with the worst record in the NFL)

Luck Year 2 - Playoffs round 2

Luck Year 3 - Playoffs round 3 - AFC Championship game.

<b>Perhaps in the teal color shades of Jags fans, Luck is overrated, but the stats say something seriously different.</b>
Quote:Luck was at his ceiling when he entered the league.

His passer rating went from 77 to 87 to 97 and he advanced in the playoffs from Round 1 to Round 2 to Round 3 in consecutive years

His stats indicate that he has gotten better each year and has led his team to higher levels in each of his 1st 3 years prior to getting injured last year.
Quote:After beating Luck in his 1st game vs the Jags (2012) do you realize we are 0-5 against Andrew Luck and have been outscored 161-43 in those 5 games.  That's an average score of 32-9 in those 5 games.

Luck Year 1 - Playoffs (after colts finished with the worst record in the NFL)

Luck Year 2 - Playoffs round 2

Luck Year 3 - Playoffs round 3 - AFC Championship game.

<b>Perhaps in the teal color shades of Jags fans, Luck is overrated, but the stats say something seriously different.</b>
Boom!
Pages: 1 2