Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: LaCanfora's Divisional Crystal Ball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
CBSSports Jason LaCanfora Predicts the divisions...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/fearle...e-in-2016/

He doesn't write anyone off in the AFCS, but picks Indy to win the division.

They still did nothing to help that defense that we hung a 50 burger on at the end of last year. They won't win the division.
50 burger is a cringe worthy term theyre gonna win just cause you said that
Quote:50 burger is a cringe worthy term theyre gonna win just cause you said that

Quote:50 burger is a cringe worthy term theyre gonna win just cause you said that

So what you're saying is...
50 burger is the new 375 rushing yards.
Jacksonville Jaguars need to have less attention, and less media mention but more production on the field IMO in 2016!

You can say that again? Oh wait...
Quote:50 burger is the new 375 rushing yards.
The difference is, the roles from this point forth have been reversed.

The Colts are the team likely to collapse for a prolonged period due to subpar drafting, while the Jaguars are likely to have sustained success due to good drafting.

But you do have Luck under C, so it shouldn't be as bad...
Quote:They still did nothing to help that defense that we hung a 50 burger on at the end of last year. They won't win the division.
Who was playing QB for the Colts in that game?
Quote:The difference is, the roles from this point forth have been reversed.

The Colts are the team likely to collapse for a prolonged period due to subpar drafting, while the Jaguars are likely to have sustained success due to good drafting.

But you do have Luck under C, so it shouldn't be as bad...
The only time the Colts drafted within the top 10 in over a decade of drafting, they landed Luck, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener. I think that if they had traded draft position with the Jaguars, who have drafted in the top 10 for over a decade, the Colts too would have a young crop of talented players. It's not really a fair comparison now, is it? 
Quote:Who was playing QB for the Colts in that game?

I never knew the QB played defense. Hell, these new rules are confusing.
Quote:I never knew the QB played defense. Hell.
If Luck had been playing, the Colts would've had more first downs, retained the ball longer, and scored more points, thus changing the outcome of the game entirely. In games where Luck has played against the Jaguars, the Jags have been 0-5 and outscored 161-43. It's pretty hard to argue against these facts.

Luck does not play defense, but anyone with an understanding of football knows that if the offense can move the ball and retain time of possession, it greatly helps the defense.
Quote:If Luck had been playing, the Colts would've had more first downs, retained the ball longer, and scored more points, thus changing the outcome of the game entirely. In games where Luck has played against the Jaguars, the Jags have been 0-5 and outscored 161-43. It's pretty hard to argue against these facts.

Luck does not play defense, but anyone with an understanding of football knows that if the offense can move the ball and retain time of possession, it greatly helps the defense.

Oh. We're talking about football?
Quote:The only time the Colts drafted within the top 10 in over a decade of drafting, they landed Luck, Hilton, Allen, and Fleener. I think that if they had traded draft position with the Jaguars, who have drafted in the top 10 for over a decade, the Colts too would have a young crop of talented players. It's not really a fair comparison now, is it? 

1.  The Jaguars have not drafted in the top ten for over a decade.  The Jaguars have drafted in the top ten for the last nine years.

2.  Keep in mind, in 2008, the Jaguars originally were set to draft in the 20s, then traded up to 8 with the Ravens.  Absolutely nothing precluded the Colts from trading into the top ten in any of those years, especially this year, if they saw fit.

3.  Having superior draft position does not guarantee superior players.  It only guarantees better access to the largest pool of players possible.  Colts fans should know this after the Schlichter, Elway, Hand, Bennett, George, Emtman, Coryatt, and Alberts fiascos.  

4.  Having lower draft position does not absolve a team from their responsibility to draft well.  The Patriots have drafted at the bottom of the draft order every year, and they have managed to draft well.

5.  All teams agreed to the draft order rules many decades ago and have abided by them ever since.  Ultimately, irrespective of draft position, teams are compared every year.
Quote:1.  The Jaguars have not drafted in the top ten for over a decade.  The Jaguars have drafted in the top ten for the last nine years.

2.  Keep in mind, in 2008, the Jaguars originally were set to draft in the 20s, then traded up to 8 with the Ravens.  Absolutely nothing precluded the Colts from trading into the top ten in any of those years, especially this year, if they saw fit.

3.  Having superior draft position does not guarantee superior players.  It only guarantees better access to the largest pool of players possible.  Colts fans should know this after the Schlichter, Elway, Hand, Bennett, George, Emtman, Coryatt, and Alberts fiascos.  

4.  Having lower draft position does not absolve a team from their responsibility to draft well.  The Patriots have drafted at the bottom of the draft order every year, and they have managed to draft well.

5.  All teams agreed to the draft order rules many decades ago and have abided by them ever since.  Ultimately, irrespective of draft position, teams are compared every year.
Good post.

I would like to respond to some of your points, if I may.

Point #1: I stand corrected. The Jaguars did not draft in the top 10 for over a decade; however I did get a chuckle that it was 9 and not 10 years. I know that it was an honest response, just found it funny.

Point #2: Sure the Colts could have traded up; however, the average draft position (this year aside) has been mid to late 20's and moving up into the top 10 would have been disadvantageous. They would have to give up far too much to move up.

Point #3:  I agree, having superior draft position does not guarantee superior players, but let's not kid ourselves. We all know that having superior draft position is more desirable. As mentioned in my earlier post, the Colts have had just 1 year of selecting in the top 10 (Under Grigson) and came away with a haul of good players.

Point #4: Again, I agree with you here that h
<span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);">aving lower draft position does not absolve a team from their responsibility to draft well. The difference is that I actually think the Colts have drafted well -- not great, and not bad, as you may believe. They have had some misses (some flamed out badly), however Grigson has done a decent job in trading for Davis, finding Freeman from Canada, giving Darius Butler an opportunity, and finding guys like T.Y. and Moncrief in the third, along with Henry Anderson and David Parry in later rounds. 
</span>

Point #5: I am aware and agree that a
ll teams agreed to the draft order rules many decades ago and have abide by them ever since. The rules were set so that teams with losing records draft early and have a chance to draft better players. This is the crux of my argument. The Colts (a winning organization) are being compared to the Jaguars (an organization currently on the rise, but a beleaguered past).  If you were to compare the Colts drafts to other teams who have drafted in the same range for the same period of time, you would see that they fair well against them.

Quote:Good post.

I would like to respond to some of your points, if I may.

Point #1: I stand corrected. The Jaguars did not draft in the top 10 for over a decade; however I did get a chuckle that it was 9 and not 10 years. I know that it was an honest response, just found it funny.

Point #2: Sure the Colts could have traded up; however, the average draft position (this year aside) has been mid to late 20's and moving up into the top 10 would have been disadvantageous. They would have to give up far too much to move up.

Point #3:  I agree, having superior draft position does not guarantee superior players, but let's not kid ourselves. We all know that having superior draft position is more desirable. As mentioned in my earlier post, the Colts have had just 1 year of selecting in the top 10 (Under Grigson) and came away with a haul of good players.

Point #4: Again, I agree with you here that h
<span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);">aving lower draft position does not absolve a team from their responsibility to draft well. The difference is that I actually think the Colts have drafted well -- not great, and not bad, as you may believe. They have had some misses (some flamed out badly), however Grigson has done a decent job in trading for Davis, finding Freeman from Canada, giving Darius Butler an opportunity, and finding guys like T.Y. and Moncrief in the third, along with Henry Anderson and David Parry in later rounds. 
</span>

Point #5: I am aware and agree that a
ll teams agreed to the draft order rules many decades ago and have abide by them ever since. The rules were set so that teams with losing records draft early and have a chance to draft better players. This is the crux of my argument. The Colts (a winning organization) are being compared to the Jaguars (an organization currently on the rise, but a beleaguered past).  If you were to compare the Colts drafts to other teams who have drafted in the same range for the same period of time, you would see that they fair well against them.
1.  Yeah, it was kinda funny for me to type.  Almost like the message board equivalent of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.  Either way, it is indicative of long term suckage by my Jaguars.  Fortunately, I don't see that continuing much longer.  We have five players currently on the NFL's top 100, and if the past three drafts are any indicia, there are more coming.

3.  As a general proposition, when it comes to player acquisition, having superior draft position is more desirable.  However, it depends upon the available draft pool and the needs of the picking team in question.  Tennessee had the best possible draft position and traded it away for inferior draft position.  Cleveland surrendered the higher pick several times during the last draft.

4.  The rest of the division hopes Irsay agrees with you and keeps Grigson on board as your GM for years to come.

5.  Unsure if I agree, but at the moment, no time to confirm or refute these claims, but I will investigate and get back to you.
Quote:Who was playing QB for the Colts in that game?
Who was playing defense for their team that game???? No one...
Quote:If Luck had been playing, the Colts would've had more first downs, retained the ball longer, and scored more points, thus changing the outcome of the game entirely. In games where Luck has played against the Jaguars, the Jags have been 0-5 and outscored 161-43. It's pretty hard to argue against these facts.

If luck was playing we might have hung 60 with his added pick 6 gifts!
Pages: 1 2