Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Gov't 'waste' report.........
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Gov't 'waste' report: Researchers paid to sting genitals, study wet animals – and more

What makes goldfish feel sexy? How many shakes does it take for a wet dog to dry off? And really -- how much does a bee sting on a penis hurt?

Government-funded studies have spent millions of taxpayer dollars to answer bizarre questions like these, according to a new survey of questionable spending released Tuesday by Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/...cmp=hplnws

Government Waste Report = Federal Budget

I'll repeat; everyone's favorite right wing, corporate funded, "think tank" the Cato Institute found $100 billion in corporate welfare in the 2012 federal budget. That's $100,000 million or 2857.14 times the figure mentioned in that article. $100 billion in corporate welfare and you're getting your panties in a twist over less than half a tenth of a percent of that number. 

I'm sure most of these studies are incredibly simplified by the news, probably based on certain findings made.  Such as the bee sting study being on where a bee sting hurt the most.  I'm not sure the purpose of such a study, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's more important than we might think.  I'm sure it'd be useful in a study on pain.  (Apparently the Nostril is the worst place to be stung) The media loves taking studies like that, and running with them.  Often being incredibly misleading and unscientific.  They also tend to only read parts of it, and not all of it.  

I stopped reading when I saw $35 million...that's nothing in terms of government spending and waste.

Quote:I stopped reading when I saw $35 million...that's nothing in terms of government spending and waste.
I think the cost overrun on a single F-35 from its original estimate is higher than $35 million and the Pentagon is planning on buying over 2400 of those. 
Just because the F-35 was a waste of money doesn't mean that these ticky-tack pork-barrel spending projects are worth it. If it is so valuable and worth it find a private investor. The government shouldn't be funding this crap. Fortunately for the F-35, its one project and its accountable. There literally thousands of worthless pork-barrel spending projects like the one above that eventually add up to billions.

Quote:I stopped reading when I saw $35 million...that's nothing in terms of government spending and waste.

Not even a rounding error.
Quote:I'll repeat; everyone's favorite right wing, corporate funded, "think tank" the Cato Institute found $100 billion in corporate welfare in the 2012 federal budget. That's $100,000 million or 2857.14 times the figure mentioned in that article. $100 billion in corporate welfare and you're getting your panties in a twist over less than half a tenth of a percent of that number. 
In part I agree, but if you stop a few like that it will equal a big thing or two

not in itself, but if you add this to several other "nothing things" it will be a lot

Quote:I think the cost overrun on a single F-35 from its original estimate is higher than $35 million and the Pentagon is planning on buying over 2400 of those. 
I would love to see the Government open up the bidding for things like Navy ships and aircraft of all kinds, but reject the first couple of bids for being to high and make everyone rebid a couple times and then threaten to open up the bidding to more companys...I bet the price would come down a lot

Quote: 

I would love to see the Government open up the bidding for things like Navy ships and aircraft of all kinds, but reject the first couple of bids for being to high and make everyone rebid a couple times and then threaten to open up the bidding to more companys...I bet the price would come down a lot

Actually the government does do that.  However, how many companies are qualified to build Navy ships?  How many companies are qualified to make the parts?  The bid isn't going to come in much lower.
Quote:Actually the government does do that.  However, how many companies are qualified to build Navy ships?  How many companies are qualified to make the parts?  The bid isn't going to come in much lower.
I've never heard them do that...They can certainly open the bidding to more shipyards than the big two...There are two shipyards right there in Jax than can build them if they would open up the bidding to more...I understand what you mean, but if they open for more competition, you will find the price will drop drastically...They could even open bidding to international companies as well...That wouldn't go over well, but there is no reason they couldn't do it if they couldn't get the price of a new ship down to where they want...

There are shipyards in Jax that work on and repair Navy ships, so they could build them as well...One of them, has a facility right there in Mayport, and one in Mobile Bay Alabama, there are shipyards in Ca.,Mississippi, and La. that can build Navy ships, they only invite a select few shipyards to bid on new construction...

The bid can always come in lower...If the Government keeps rejecting the bids because they are too high, the shipyards will come down on their bids...The select 3 or 4 that build them now depend on the Navy contracts to survive, if they start refusing to pay so much, they shipyards will either build them cheaper or die unless they can get more repair or new contracts from somewhere else

The big shipyards are just like big retail companies, in the way they must retain an extremely high profit ratio do to hi CEO and executive pay and outlandish bonuses...The workers make pretty good money as well...North Florida shipyard on Tallyrand and the old Atlantic Marine ( IDK what it is now) payed well when I worked there in the 90's 

Quote:Actually the government does do that.  However, how many companies are qualified to build Navy ships?  How many companies are qualified to make the parts?  The bid isn't going to come in much lower.

Can confirm this.

I've seen the RFQs. I've also seen some incredibly silly sounding RFP/RFQs in my travels as well. Most conspicuous/silly, you ask? Mouse semen analysis...

No, I'm not joking.  :mellow:
If you can't beat them join them, please send the link & information on pitching deals to congress for funding

No one said anything about Congress...the title said "Gub'ment." For that...just look at fbo.org