Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: LaCanfora's QB Crystal Ball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He had some interesting predictions about 6 QBs around the league.

This is what he had to say about Brock Osweiler.

Quote: 

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. The Texans play a pretty big-boy schedule this year -- tends to happen the year after you win the division -- and expectations are high.

This can't be a situation like a year ago with the coach having the quickest QB hook in the history of the NFL. This is Brock's team. He's the guy (even if the head coach sounded ambivalent at best about that prospect in the intro press conference and never even met the kid before the owner had stuffed $40 million into the QB's pocket).

So, yeah, fair to say I am less than convinced this is the answer to the Texans' lingering QB problem. Coach Bill O'Brien will have to stick with him, but after drafting more weapons on offense there won't be any excuses here. While Houston's defense made strides in the second half of last season, this isn't the 2015 Broncos defense.

Playing in the AFC South would generally make things much easier for Osweiler, only that division might actually be halfway decent this year, too.

My crystal ball says: There will be some tears and disappointment here. And I have a hunch that this ends up being only a two-year, $38 million deal that leaves a fair amount of carnage in its wake.
(emphasis added)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jaso...-other-qbs

I've been saying this too. He's a backup qb, nothing more.
The Broncos had years of watching him and dropped him like a sack of potatoes. I predict he'll be average at best.
The Broncos were cap strapped. They started negotiations with Brock at three years, $45M.

They moved to four years $16.5M/yr

Houston got him at 4 years, $18M/yr & we're prepared to go higher.

I'm not sold on Osweiler myself, but that doesn't sound like "dropping him like a sack of potatoes" to me.

Still, the Texans swept the Jags three years running with backup QBs.
Until our defense shows visible improvement (I believe they will, but sleeping giant, idk) we can't shrug off any QB. We played back up after back up last season. We won 5 games.

Quote:Still, the Texans swept the Jags three years running with backup QBs.

2 years
I'll just leave this here.

Per Rotoworld:

Quote:Brock Osweiler - QB - Texans

Brock Osweiler says he’s struggled to pick up the Texans’ offense.

"It’s like you speak Spanish your whole life and then all of a sudden, they tell you to go learn French and do it in front of 70,000 people," Osweiler said. "There’s some carryover from my previous years. It’s not like I’m a complete rookie with no base, but obviously there’s a lot of new things." Osweiler's in the early stages of Bill O’Brien’s scheme, but the comments raise concern over how quickly he’ll get acclimated. The Texans are fully invested in Osweiler after giving him $37 million guaranteed this offseason.

Source: houstontexans.com
Quote:I'll just leave this here.

Per Rotoworld:

Hilarious.
That's what happens when a GM slobbers over some lousy prospect and doesn't allow his head coach to even talk to him first.

Brock sounded dumber than a bag of rocks before this, but now? Ha.
Quote:I'll just leave this here.

Per Rotoworld:
this is probably way more common than were told but most guys arent honest about it. We just get those same old getting the hang of it/hard work/everythings good spiel.
Quote:That's what happens when a GM slobbers over some lousy prospect and doesn't allow his head coach to even talk to him first.

Brock sounded dumber than a bag of rocks before this, but now? Ha.

Don't y'all get tired of getting beat by bad QBs? 

If I were a Jag fan, I'd be talking up every QB the Texans get, because you just know they're going to beat you. Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Hoyer (x2). If I were a jags fan I'd be all, "Brock Osweiler is going to be the next Tom Brady. He's going to kick our butts two times a year." 

That way, you're not so upset when he beats you... which he will. 
Thunderkyss...

I'm actually tired of losing to your defense.

Your QB is among the least of our concerns.

I will say that the texans fans can take solace in at least one thing, LaCanfora isn't a foolproof evaluator of QB talent. He actually thinks Mariota will be great, when anyone that has watched him actually play could see he's closer to Gabbert than he is to Peyton Manning.

Quote:I will say that the texans fans can take solace in at least one thing, LaCanfora isn't a foolproof evaluator of QB talent. He actually thinks Mariota will be great, when anyone that has watched him actually play could see he's closer to Gabbert than he is to Peyton Manning.
I don't know about that.

Gabbert never threw 4 TDs in a game.  Mariota did it in his first game.

Mariota has flaws in his game.  He has problems with down field accuracy.  But I think he has much higher potential than Gabbert, even if he never ends up truly elite.
Quote:I don't know about that.

Gabbert never threw 4 TDs in a game. Mariota did it in his first game.

Mariota has flaws in his game. He has problems with down field accuracy. But I think he has much higher potential than Gabbert, even if he never ends up truly elite.

I'm more interested in the Titans 1983 style offense. For years they have reminded me of the Jags, but a few years behind in their rebuild. They are going to try and be a smash mouth football team, like we were when MM was here.

2 things. 1- Can you think of anyone that still wins with this style? (I'm being serious with that question)

2- if they really think Mariota is as good as they say, why are they looking like they are going to run the ball 45+ times a game?

I'm not saying they can't be good, I just don't see how this style translates into the modern NFL
Quote:I don't know about that.

Gabbert never threw 4 TDs in a game.  Mariota did it in his first game.

Mariota has flaws in his game.  He has problems with down field accuracy.  But I think he has much higher potential than Gabbert, even if he never ends up truly elite.

You should go back and look at that first game. A bunch of short first read passes that didn't get covered and went for long TDs makes him impressive?

The way I see Mariota's first season is like Gabbert's first season if Gabbert had been able to play the 2011 Bucs three times. Do you recall that game? Mariota in any game that the defense was capable of anything more than just rolling over was terrible, he made his season on big games against the Bucs when they were in disarray, the saints, who Bortles threw for five TDs against and would have had more if the refs hadn't allowed him to be intercepted on a blatant pass interference, and the same Jaguars team that made Hoyer look like an all pro a week before he got destroyed against a real defense.

No, when you look past the flat stats on a page for Mariota it's clear what he is, he's a lucky guy.
Quote:Don't y'all get tired of getting beat by bad QBs?

If I were a Jag fan, I'd be talking up every QB the Texans get, because you just know they're going to beat you. Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Hoyer (x2). If I were a jags fan I'd be all, "Brock Osweiler is going to be the next Tom Brady. He's going to kick our butts two times a year."

im tired of JJ Watt. Guy always tears us a new one.

For the last couple seasons when we had an abysmal defense, it was still annoying to see us get beat by bad qbs.

At this point in time with the additions of Malik Jackson, Prince amukamara, Jalen Ramsey, myles jack, ngakoue, Gipson, and a healthy sample to challenge cyp along with a healthy Poz.

This defense is a whole new animal and I'm not worried about your new bad qb. Osweiler is going to get abused.

For the last couple seasons when we had an abysmal defense, it was still annoying to see us get beat by bad qbs.

At this point in time with the additions of Malik Jackson, Prince amukamara, Jalen Ramsey, myles jack, ngakoue, Gipson, and a healthy sample to challenge cyp along with a healthy Poz.

This defense is a whole new animal and I'm not worried about your new bad qb. Osweiler is going to get abused.
Quote:I'm more interested in the Titans 1983 style offense. For years they have reminded me of the Jags, but a few years behind in their rebuild. They are going to try and be a smash mouth football team, like we were when MM was here.

2 things. 1- Can you think of anyone that still wins with this style? (I'm being serious with that question)

2- if they really think Mariota is as good as they say, why are they looking like they are going to run the ball 45+ times a game?

I'm not saying they can't be good, I just don't see how this style translates into the modern NFL
Seattle wins by pounding the ball like that.  Granted, they incorporate read options that weren't utilized in 1983, but they have won by being a relatively run heavy team.  The year SF and Baltimore played in the SB, both teams ran the ball frequently.

As to your second question, you can have a good QB with a run heavy attack.  The Steelers had such an identity early in Big Ben's career.  The 1990s Cowboys were another team like that, with Aikman and Emmitt Smith and that great run blocking OL.  The on stretch where Jeff Fisher actually had any sort of sustained success is when he had a run heavy attack with Steve McNair.
Pages: 1 2