Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Captain America Civil War
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Anyone watched this yet? Its the best comic book film I've ever seen. Wasn't expecting to ever say that about a Captain America movie.
I really enjoyed this one! I am not sure I am ready to anoint it as the best comic book film ever, but it is certainly up there.

It was good, best ever, no way. It could be because I was distracted too often by my son, but it didn't blow me away like that.

Quote:I really enjoyed this one! I am not sure I am ready to anoint it as the best comic book film ever, but it is certainly up there.

Its up there with the Dark Knight for me. Thought they got the chemistry spot on between everybody in it,which is really hard to do with so many superheroes.

My only knock on it is the blurry fight scenes in the first half.
Quote:Anyone watched this yet? Its the best comic book film I've ever seen. Wasn't expecting to ever say that about a Captain America movie.

I saw it on Friday and I thought it was decent. I should also add that I've personally never been much of a Captain America fan.

All of the Captain America movies (this was the 3rd) were very good, although I personally think this one was the worst of the bunch but it was still a good movie. Enough fans put the preceding Cap movie (Winter Soldier) in the real of Nolan's DKR...that's a bit much in my estimation but it's closer than one would think.

The main issue I have with this particular movie is knowing where this storyline came from. I don't particularly think it works as well as it could when you omit the actual catalyst (the Superhuman Registration Act and it's affect on the entire Marvel Universe). It loses some of its gravitas when you are forced to omit a large portion of the superhumans who are/could be affected, especially when you consider that most of the heroes in the MU are based in New York (or outer space). So my quibbles are with the changes made to the storyline to put it on the big screen mostly but that's typical when you talk to any comic book fan. With that said, they did a very good job at conveying the overall divide from the comics onto the screen. One of the main criticisms from critics and fans alike in terms of Civil War was that Iron Man was treated almost (but not quite) like a villain. I felt the exact same way watching this movie in short order.

However, they did a really good job with the Black Panther and Spider-Man, although the latter's total neglect of a very substantial portion of who he is and why he does what he does really stuck in my craw. 
Quote:I saw it on Friday and I thought it was decent. I should also add that I've personally never been much of a Captain America fan.

All of the Captain America movies (this was the 3rd) were very good, although I personally think this one was the worst of the bunch but it was still a good movie. Enough fans put the preceding Cap movie (Winter Soldier) in the real of Nolan's DKR...that's a bit much in my estimation but it's closer than one would think.

The main issue I have with this particular movie is knowing where this storyline came from. I don't particularly think it works as well as it could when you omit the actual catalyst (the Superhuman Registration Act and it's affect on the entire Marvel Universe). It loses some of its gravitas when you are forced to omit a large portion of the superhumans who are/could be affected, especially when you consider that most of the heroes in the MU are based in New York (or outer space). So my quibbles are with the changes made to the storyline to put it on the big screen mostly but that's typical when you talk to any comic book fan. With that said, they did a very good job at conveying the overall divide from the comics onto the screen. One of the main criticisms from critics and fans alike in terms of Civil War was that Iron Man was treated almost (but not quite) like a villain. I felt the exact same way watching this movie in short order.

However, they did a really good job with the Black Panther and Spider-Man, although the latter's total neglect of a very substantial portion of who he is and why he does what he does really stuck in my craw.

Havn't seen the first two Cap movies so can't really comment on them at all.

I just thought it got the balance between everything right,had just enough humour to be lighthearted but not too much so it wasn't outright goofy. Even the superheroes with a small amount of screen time were pretty memorable.

I get that but I'm not sure how they could have done it in a way that would be the story justice. Generally don't like Ironman as a superhero but I thought it was RDJs best performance as him.

Yeah they did kind of just shoehorn him in but I guess they had to with the new Spidey movie on the way.
I loved it.... I'm not normally a huge fan of the Captain America movies... (although I love Marvel & DC).

For me, The Dark Knignt is the best Superhero Movie of recent times...

I thought that Avengers: Age Of Ultron was pretty sweet too!

Bring on the Suicide Squad!

I thought the new Spiderman and Black Panther were really cool characters.  I do wish they could have brought in The Hulk and Thor in some way.

Quote:I thought the new Spiderman and Black Panther were really cool characters.  I do wish they could have brought in The Hulk and Thor in some way.

I think that would make it an 'Avengers' movie though, rather than a Captain America movie... if that makes sense?
Nothing will EVER top Batman and Robin. Ever. Never.

Loved it. Happy to finally see Black Panther on the big screen. Chadwick Boseman did a great job portraying Black Panther, looking forward to his solo movie in 2018,. Best movie version of Spider-Man in my opinion as well. Felt just like the comic book Spidey I love. Had a nerdgasm when Ant-Man [spoiler] became Giant-Man. That was awesome! [/spoiler]

Quote:Havn't seen the first two Cap movies so can't really comment on them at all.
Highly recommend at least watching Winter Soldier. Its up there as one of the best comic book films of all time. 

Quote:Havn't seen the first two Cap movies so can't really comment on them at all.

I just thought it got the balance between everything right,had just enough humour to be lighthearted but not too much so it wasn't outright goofy. Even the superheroes with a small amount of screen time were pretty memorable.

I get that but I'm not sure how they could have done it in a way that would be the story justice. Generally don't like Ironman as a superhero but I thought it was RDJs best performance as him.

Yeah they did kind of just shoehorn him in but I guess they had to with the new Spidey movie on the way.

Good points all around here.

I watched Captain America on a whim and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. I've personally always found Cap to be a very dull character historically. As for this movie and the story, they really couldn't have without establishing the major players that hadn't been accounted for within the continuity and I get that. It bothered me slightly but not enough to push me over the edge like X3 did (vomit). Spider-Man was actually a major player in Civil War so including him was the right thing to do. As I recall, the Black Panther/Wakanda tried to remain neutral which isn't surprising considering he was married to Storm (of the X-Men) and they've always traditionally opposed any form of registration.

Quote:I think that would make it an 'Avengers' movie though, rather than a Captain America movie... if that makes sense?

It already pretty much was an Avengers movie...but it needed to be. Smile

Quote:Nothing will EVER top Batman and Robin. Ever. Never.

Now I know you're insane...haha!

Quote:Loved it. Happy to finally see Black Panther on the big screen. Chadwick Boseman did a great job portraying Black Panther, looking forward to his solo movie in 2018,. Best movie version of Spider-Man in my opinion as well. Felt just like the comic book Spidey I love. Had a nerdgasm when Ant-Man [spoiler] became Giant-Man. That was awesome! [/spoiler]

Highly recommend at least watching Winter Soldier. Its up there as one of the best comic book films of all time. 

I agree with you on all counts. The first thing I thought when I walked out of the theater was that was the first time we've really seen Spider-Man done right.
Quote:Nothing will EVER top Batman and Robin. Ever. Never.

George Clooney as Batman... now that was.... erm, something!

Dude, you really need to watch CA:The Winter Soldier.
Quote:Dude, you really need to watch CA:The Winter Soldier.

Had it up on Netflix yesterday ready to go and all but I had to head out.

My little brothers a big Marvel fan so he's slowly but surely getting me interested in it.
Quote:Had it up on Netflix yesterday ready to go and all but I had to head out.

My little brothers a big Marvel fan so he's slowly but surely getting me interested in it.
If you're going to watch it you may as watch the first one as well. Between the two of them it gives you an idea of Cap's friendship with Bucky and why he was willing to go as far as he did in CW to help his friend. 
Quote:George Clooney as Batman... now that was.... erm, something!

Batnipples and the Bat Codpiece nothing better for fighting evil!
Quote:Batnipples and the Bat Codpiece nothing better for fighting evil!

the amount of puns by mr freeze in that movie is amazing
Quote:George Clooney as Batman... now that was.... erm, something!

I'm not complaining! :no:
The trailer looked good, but can I take my 10 year old son to it?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5