Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Postion Battle Predictions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here are mine:

1. OT - Joeckel starts at RT: I think people have written off Joeckel a little too quick. While I think you can book Beachum starting at LT, I don't necessarily think Joeckel being a swing tackle is written in stone. If Joeckel has any sense of pride and manhood what has occurred the past few months since the Houston game should have lit a fire under him. Joeckel is still physically the most impressive tackle on this team by far. I think he will show enough in camp at LT, where he will be taking first team reps until Beachum is healthy, to give the team serious pause at benching him and open up competition at the RT spot. I don't think Parnell was as good as this fanbase is making out last year. He had several back breaking penalties and would get blown up every now and then, maybe more than that. I think a motivated Joeckel beats out Parnell for RT and this would be something the team would want considering Joeckel is still a top 2 pick of our's.

2. SS - Cyprien beats out Sample: While the hope is that Sample can prove to be the answer at SS we've been looking for and beat or Cyp, I think Cyp is just a way better and more natural athlete at the position. Cyprien's issues are mental and technique, and it is insane to me that he has not fixed them 3 years in. But it will be interesting to see what he does with better talent around him in the secondary. From a physical and athletic standpoint, Cyprien is way better than Sample and he SHOULD be a really good SS. He had some flashes last year but still was very inconsistent to say the least. But I'm betting Cyp still beats out Sample in camp, much to the chagrin of the fanbase.

3. CB2 - Amukamara starts over House: Amukamara is just a more technically sound CB than House. While House made a lot of plays on the ball last year his stats look a lot better than his play. House is a good CB to have in your top 3 rotation for sure but I think Amukamara is a solid CB2 while House is more fringe. A healthy Amukamara doesn't do as much dumb crap as House did last year. I think people forget House would get torched too often as the #1 CB, and while as a 2 it won't be as bad, when teams start throwing away from Ramsey we need a guy who will play smart and not have mental lapses. Amukamara is that guy.

4. RB - Yeldon starts and gets most carries: Ivory is a good back but I think going into his second year Yeldon will be better. He is an every down back, he catches out of the backfield better, is faster and more agile, and I think with better run blocking you will really see Yeldon be dynamic. I think the carry split will end up being something like 55-45 Yeldon-Ivory. Maybe 60-40 as the year goes on. 
Good post! I think House will be starting opposite Ramsey...I think the real battle is when Colvin returns and how they use he and Prince in Nickel.

Who is the starting strong side LB?
Quote:Who is the starting strong side LB?

Myles Jack is expected to be the starting SOLB, MLB Poz, WOLB Telvin Smith.

Quote:Good post! I think House will be starting opposite Ramsey...I think the real battle is when Colvin returns and how they use he and Prince in Nickel.

I think GM Dave Caldwell said it was Prince & Jalen on the outside, but I too think that House will beat out Prince IMO...
Quote:Here are mine:

1. OT - Joeckel starts at RT: I think people have written off Joeckel a little too quick. While I think you can book Beachum starting at LT, I don't necessarily think Joeckel being a swing tackle is written in stone. If Joeckel has any sense of pride and manhood what has occurred the past few months since the Houston game should have lit a fire under him. Joeckel is still physically the most impressive tackle on this team by far. I think he will show enough in camp at LT, where he will be taking first team reps until Beachum is healthy, to give the team serious pause at benching him and open up competition at the RT spot. I don't think Parnell was as good as this fanbase is making out last year. He had several back breaking penalties and would get blown up every now and then, maybe more than that. I think a motivated Joeckel beats out Parnell for RT and this would be something the team would want considering Joeckel is still a top 2 pick of our's.

2. SS - Cyprien beats out Sample: While the hope is that Sample can prove to be the answer at SS we've been looking for and beat or Cyp, I think Cyp is just a way better and more natural athlete at the position. Cyprien's issues are mental and technique, and it is insane to me that he has not fixed them 3 years in. But it will be interesting to see what he does with better talent around him in the secondary. From a physical and athletic standpoint, Cyprien is way better than Sample and he SHOULD be a really good SS. He had some flashes last year but still was very inconsistent to say the least. But I'm betting Cyp still beats out Sample in camp, much to the chagrin of the fanbase.

3. CB2 - Amukamara starts over House: Amukamara is just a more technically sound CB than House. While House made a lot of plays on the ball last year his stats look a lot better than his play. House is a good CB to have in your top 3 rotation for sure but I think Amukamara is a solid CB2 while House is more fringe. A healthy Amukamara doesn't do as much dumb crap as House did last year. I think people forget House would get torched too often as the #1 CB, and while as a 2 it won't be as bad, when teams start throwing away from Ramsey we need a guy who will play smart and not have mental lapses. Amukamara is that guy.

4. RB - Yeldon starts and gets most carries: Ivory is a good back but I think going into his second year Yeldon will be better. He is an every down back, he catches out of the backfield better, is faster and more agile, and I think with better run blocking you will really see Yeldon be dynamic. I think the carry split will end up being something like 55-45 Yeldon-Ivory. Maybe 60-40 as the year goes on. 

LT Luke Joeckel might get traded before the start of the season, but if he doesn't I expect (like most people do) that Beachum will start (should he be heatlhy), and Jermey Parnell is still considered (when healthy) as one of the top 10 RTs in the NFL.  He has probably zero fear of Luke taking that away from him (IMO).

To my understanding both GM & HC already said that Chris Ivory was brought in to help TJ Yeldon with the load not to replace him so Yeldon is the expected starter RB (unless he loses it out in PreSeason).

Cyprien's job is definitely at risk provided that Sample doesn't get injured again.. which i think is likely..

Since when is Parnell a top 10 RT?

He might not have been a top 10 RT but he's sure better than Luke.

Quote:LT Luke Joeckel might get traded before the start of the season, but if he doesn't I expect (like most people do) that Beachum will start (should he be heatlhy), and Jermey Parnell is still considered (when healthy) as one of the top 10 RTs in the NFL. He has probably zero fear of Luke taking that away from him (IMO).

To my understanding both GM & HC already said that Chris Ivory was brought in to help TJ Yeldon with the load not to replace him so Yeldon is the expected starter RB (unless he loses it out in PreSeason).

Cyprien's job is definitely at risk provided that Sample doesn't get injured again.. which i think is likely..

Your damn right, Joeckel couldn't hold Parnell's jock strap.

He's too weak to play the big mauler role you need on that right side.

Ivory and Yeldon will split carries but honestly barring injury I see Ivory getting more, I'm excited to see this guy play.

I hope Sample pans out, we'd be set in the secondary for quite some time.
No way Parnell isn't your starting RT (baring injury).

I see Yeldon being the starter with Ivory spelling him.

Cyprien and Sample will be a close battle but I think Cyprien has a slight edge.

I am thinking House will start on the other side of Ramsey with Prince sliding inside to the nickel.

Beachum starts at LT, with Joeckel sliding in to play LG.

Linder starts at OC over Bowanko, with Cann and Parnell manning the right side of the line.

Yeldon and Ivory split the load in terms of number of carries, but Ivory starts game 1.

In the slot, Lee starts over Greene to begin the season.

Henne maintains his backup job, keeping Brandon Allen in a developing 3rd role.

Ramsey and Amukamara start on the outside.

Cyprien begins the season as the starting SS, but Sample replaces him by game 4. 
Ramsey and House are the starting CBs

Nickel is Amukamara - eventually replaced by Colvin mid season

Beachum starts at LT - Parnell at RT

Cyprien wins SS but gets benched for Sample to come in around week 6
Cyprien has been asked to do much. IMO, Sample should be the starting Strong Safety. 

Cyprien should be moved closer to the line of scrimmage where he will excel as a combo linebacker/strong safety. Him and Miles Jack doing the same thing would be a force. 

I think that Miles Jack's future here is at Middle Linebacker, but while we have Poz,  I think the jags should employ a 3-3-5 hybrid as one of their main packages. I would not use Poz in that package.

Using Jack and Cyp as two linebacker/safety hybrids. You would have amazing speed at linebacker spot to blanket any TE with that defense and confuse the heck out of the opposing QB. 

You would have Ramsey, House as the outside corners. Gipson as high safety. Sample as Strong Safety.  Smith, Jack, and Cyprien has Linebackers. Fowler, Marks and whoever on the line.

The concern that I have with Jack is that he's so versatile so you have to have a coach that knows how to use him. Case in point, Urlacher rode the pine in College until he got the right coach. Even after coming to the NFL, he first lost his outside linebacker spot for the pine until they figured out MLB was where to put him, and he got that role due to an injury to the starter.

I have no faith in our coaching staff, but we are STOCKED with talent. The coaches need to know how to use it. Cyprien has loads of talent, but he's being used wrong.

It's time for Bradley to put up or get out...

The whole reason for grabbing Jack was to cover TE, he has the speed where POZ does not. Poz is great against the run, but lacks the ability to keep up w/ the TE's  You could make a case for him starting middle. 

OT - Joeckel starts at left tackle but Beachem takes over eventually. Parnell is the right tackle barring injury.

SS - Cyprien is the starter but he is not on the field as much as in prior years

CB - House is the number one corner and it is not close

RB - Yeldon gets more carries but it is close. I imagine something similar to what Carolina had four or five years ago with Williams/Stewart.

Quote:Cyprien has been asked to do much. IMO, Sample should be the starting Strong Safety.

Cyprien should be moved closer to the line of scrimmage where he will excel as a combo linebacker/strong safety. Him and Miles Jack doing the same thing would be a force.

I think that Miles Jack's future here is at Middle Linebacker, but while we have Poz, I think the jags should employ a 3-3-5 hybrid as one of their main packages. I would not use Poz in that package.

Using Jack and Cyp as two linebacker/safety hybrids. You would have amazing speed at linebacker spot to blanket any TE with that defense and confuse the heck out of the opposing QB.

You would have Ramsey, House as the outside corners. Gipson as high safety. Sample as Strong Safety. Smith, Jack, and Cyprien has Linebackers. Fowler, Marks and whoever on the line.

The concern that I have with Jack is that he's so versatile so you have to have a coach that knows how to use him. Case in point, Urlacher rode the pine in College until he got the right coach. Even after coming to the NFL, he first lost his outside linebacker spot for the pine until they figured out MLB was where to put him, and he got that role due to an injury to the starter.

I have no faith in our coaching staff, but we are STOCKED with talent. The coaches need to know how to use it. Cyprien has loads of talent, but he's being used wrong.

It's time for Bradley to put up or get out...

A 3-3-5 would be a nice look for us. I'm also hoping we can imploy a 2-4-5 scheme as well to put as much pass rush and athleticism on the field as possible.
I can see Prince and House on the outside with Ramsey in the slot in nickel situations.
Quote:Myles Jack is expected to be the starting SOLB, MLB Poz, WOLB Telvin Smith.

I think GM Dave Caldwell said it was Prince & Jalen on the outside, but I too think that House will beat out Prince IMO...

Good.Scoot Skuta on over to dee bench! I expect Holmes to backup Jack then.
Quote:OT - Joeckel starts at left tackle but Beachem takes over eventually. Parnell is the right tackle barring injury.

SS - Cyprien is the starter but he is not on the field as much as in prior years

CB - House is the number one corner and it is not close

RB - Yeldon gets more carries but it is close. I imagine something similar to what Carolina had four or five years ago with Williams/Stewart.

Ramsey is the number 1 corner.
I wish Gus would put Ramsey at SS then the secondary would have no weakness
I see Joekel moving inside to guard.

I see Sample beating out Cyp.

Prince and House start outside and Ramsey in the nickel. He'll take over outside at some point during the year.

Pages: 1 2