Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jalen Ramsey is the prototype
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It can't be understated how perfect of a fit Ramsey is for this defense, he has All-Pro potential in our scheme. If you asked Gus to draw up the ideal CB for this scheme it would come out looking like Ramsey. This scheme calls for long, big press man CBs that play physical and have the speed to run downfield with receivers and can play the run as well. Ramsey is that to a tee. Gus has never had a CB with Ramsey's athleticism and traits. With his 6'1'' 209lbs frame and 33 3/8'' arms Ramsey can jam and reroute receivers at the LOS with ease and sometimes can force them out of bounds taking them out the play completely. He plays very aggressive against he run and screen game and diagnosis them immediately.Thanks to his length and leaping ability his range is crazy. Up to now we've not had a CB with Ramsey's athleticism at the position. Not even close. Let alone his alpha dog mentality. He is of the mold of Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, and Josh Norman in terms of his bravado and his bully mentality on the field. I find that a lot of his flaws (turning to find the ball downfield, inconsistent tackling technique, ball skills) come from a lack of experience at the CB position as he didn't play 100% boundary CB until this year (and he was still a lockdown corner despite it) and once he has more time and coaching the sky's the limit. We haven't had a talent like this at CB in a looooong time. Maybe ever.

Anyway I just wanted to make this thread to remind people why a lot of us wanted Ramsey so bad and how huge it is that we got him. He is an elite fit for this defense and down the road we can start using him like Tyrann Mathieu or Green Bay Charles Woodson where he will really be a nuclear weapon once we get more talent at the CB position.

Ever ..  nice post.  

Look at this Richard Sherman tape against Dez Bryant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T85RDw5QPhU

Now look at Jalen Ramsey vs. NC State and Louisville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZzTGGyosQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOhLAYYJbFA

I'm excited.

I don't know if this has been posted yet:

Sports Science: Jalen Ramsey
Yeah he's got an elite skillset for sure.  Can't wait to see how he develops.

Pure insanity that his 11'8" coverage in jumping is only .5" from Blake griffin who is almost a foot taller
I'm not saying this as a homer but he seriously is the same mold as Patrick Peterson coming out of college. If he develops .1% as Peterson did then we've potentially got one of the best corners in the league down the road.

In the NC State game you could actually see they were trying to take him outta the game with their fakes and extra blocking on his blitzes. That double pass especially at 5:10 was specifically designed for him. I notice towards the end  FSU started faking his blitzes and the QB had no idea how to handle that. 

I dont know if he is Patrick Peterson fast or Josh Norman fluid but he certainly has that Richard Sherman esque build ,strength and aggression. I too think the finer details like in flight ball tracking will come in time.

He reminds me of Patrick Peterson and a bigger Tyrann Mathieu. Hopefully he can be our Sherman/Peterson.

Quote:I don't know if this has been posted yet:

Eh, Sports Science makes everyone look phenomenal.
He could definitely be a force in this league if he develops correctly

Quote: 

I'm excited.

I hope he can iron out that little crow hop he does when he's up in press.
I'm excited, he has potential but let's keep expectations realistic for him. At FSU he had a good defensive line which makes any DB look better. We have the potential to have a front 7 like FSU did in the college game, but for now remember that he is a rookie going against seasoned vets, he will take his lumps and he will make his plays. For now, my expectations for him are low but I do fully expect him to shine eventually. Remember in 2011 when we had a great defense? Derrick Cox looked like an All Pro behind that D and Mathis came back to his old self and revitalized his career. With Malik Jackson, a healthy Marks and Fowler and now Jack and Telvin, this should allow Ramsey to look even better than he already is
Quote:I don't know if this has been posted yet:

LOL, he can get the ball 12' off the ground.  Wow.
Of course you're right....Ramsey "is" a perfect fit for our Defense.

But of course a guy his size with his physical traits is pretty much the perfect fir for any Defense.

All we need now is for it to translate into passes defensed and solid tackling on the field.

I still can't believe both the Chargers and Cowboys passed on him!

Quote:Of course you're right....Ramsey "is" a perfect fit for our Defense.

But of course a guy his size with his physical traits is pretty much the perfect fir for any Defense.

All we need now is for it to translate into passes defensed and solid tackling on the field.

I love Jerry Jones
Quote:Of course you're right....Ramsey "is" a perfect fit for our Defense.

Good point. Cant really think of a defensive scheme where a fast,physical , big corner wouldnt fit lol. 
But our scheme in particular is the perfect fit for his game. He's best at CB as a big press man cover corner and that's exactly what he'll be here.

Also Inread yesterday that Ramsey is one of only 3 CBs in the past two drafts with a 40 time and vert in the 80th percentile. The other two? Jason Verrett and Ronald Darby. Byron Jones would count as well if you count his pro day 40. All those guys are very good young players and none of them have Ramsey's size and length. I can't think of a corner with arms as long as Ramsey. And he combines that with speed and fluidity of a corner much smaller than him.
Quote:I love Jerry Jones
ive never been able to say that about jerry, but me too... when they took Elliot, i started losing it at my house. my fiance was asking if i was alright and what i was so worked up over since we hadn't picked yet. i think my excact words were i may kill caldwell if they dont take my boy jalen to which she replied "Typical FSU fan"... yeah its a little bit of a house divided as far as college football where i live but we make do lol. 
Quote:It can't be understated how perfect of a fit Ramsey is for this defense, he has All-Pro potential in our scheme. If you asked Gus to draw up the ideal CB for this scheme it would come out looking like Ramsey. This scheme calls for long, big press man CBs that play physical and have the speed to run downfield with receivers and can play the run as well. Ramsey is that to a tee. Gus has never had a CB with Ramsey's athleticism and traits. With his 6'1'' 209lbs frame and 33 3/8'' arms Ramsey can jam and reroute receivers at the LOS with ease and sometimes can force them out of bounds taking them out the play completely. He plays very aggressive against he run and screen game and diagnosis them immediately.Thanks to his length and leaping ability his range is crazy. Up to now we've not had a CB with Ramsey's athleticism at the position. Not even close. Let alone his alpha dog mentality. He is of the mold of Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman, and Josh Norman in terms of his bravado and his bully mentality on the field. I find that a lot of his flaws (turning to find the ball downfield, inconsistent tackling technique, ball skills) come from a lack of experience at the CB position as he didn't play 100% boundary CB until this year (and he was still a lockdown corner despite it) and once he has more time and coaching the sky's the limit. We haven't had a talent like this at CB in a looooong time. Maybe ever.

Anyway I just wanted to make this thread to remind people why a lot of us wanted Ramsey so bad and how huge it is that we got him. He is an elite fit for this defense and down the road we can start using him like Tyrann Mathieu or Green Bay Charles Woodson where he will really be a nuclear weapon once we get more talent at the CB position.

It can't be underestimated how perfect Jalen Ramsey is as a DB in general.  Here is a guy that Hall Of Fame Corner Deion Sanders approves of (which is a huge honor in itself) because of how hard Jalen works when not in a game off the field and practice.  At 6'1", 209lbs he sure is a very physical corner with 9 1/2" hands (not nearly the 12" hands of Buckner) yet he is able to throw WRs to the ground as if he was 300lbs.  He is able to jump 41.5" in the air to knock the ball down from WRs while he is able to keep up with the fast Wrs (4.41 in the 40) he can 135" vertical keep up with the quick slant inside and is very physical on the press coverage (probably the best press coverage DB in the NFL).

He is surely the best asset to the defense.. but wait.. the team also has Myles Jack adding to an already great LB core of Poz & Telvin Smith (recently ranked 89 of top 100 NFL players).  The Defensive line being revamped with M. Jackson, Odrick & fowler and marks returning from injury.. along with other competition.. having TaShaun finally helping out as a ball hawking free safety the only huge glaring weakness on defense (besides questionable Leo) is Strong Safety.. we hope that Cyprien or Sample gets it together though.