Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags defensive turnaround 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In 2010 the Jags were ranked 28th in defense

In 2011, we jumped to 6th.

We added Poz, Session, and Landry that offseason. Plus still had players like Daryl Smith.

With the influx of our FAs and draft. I think there's reason to believe we not only added better talent than that year, but also have a chance to turn around the defense in similar fashion.

I'm not saying we will, especially since a lot of these players have never played a snap in the NFL. But we've done it before, and there's reason to believe we can again. Especially when you consider Dave signs players who match our play style, not just names.
Definitely the defense will improve... Thats the result of adding quality talent... We just gotta stay healthy.. Point Blank.
Quote:Definitely the defense will improve... Thats the result of adding quality talent... We just gotta stay healthy.. Point Blank.

Definitely. But I would say this. Losing a Fowler or Marks this year won't have nearly the impact it had in previous years. We are pretty deep right now. Marks is the backs up, Colvin is our fourth corner, Sample a third safety, Jack is the fourth line backer. We have improved the top 5 players as well as the bottom five.

This team got real deep real quick.
We have added a lot of talent and I expect our defensive performance to improve.  However, I don't think the defense will breach into the top 10 this year.  I think the defense needs to mesh with all of the new acquisitions, or as another guy put it, the new players need to "gain a sense of continuity and develop into schemes".  We have rookies, we have a young player coming back from injury that needs to prove himself.  The players need to grow as a unit.  I also think we are an offseason's worth of a couple more key acquisitions away from being a dominant force.  I'd like us to draft a 1st round DE next year (and a 2nd round Center for the offense).  If everything goes well, I think you'll see the Defense really take off during the 2017 season.  I think we'll have a defense that will at the very least be capable of backing up Bortles this year.

The caveat is from 2011-2014 teams played extremely conservative against us because they only had to score about 23 points to win.

The years we fielded any semblance of a decent defense, the rankings were skewed Imo.