Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If The Season Started Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who is our starting Nose Tackle? I know we resigned Abry and picked up Charles in FA, but will either of them start?

Can Calais Campbell play the nose with Jackson playing the 3 and Fowler n Ngakoue on the outside?

(I know Campbell is expected to play more D End, but just wonder how to get the best lineup and talent on the field simultaneously)
Abry plays NT on base downs.  Campbell will be on the strong-side end in base formation with Ngakoue or Fowler on the weak side end. 

Campbell (or a rotational player like Day/Jones/Bennett) will rush the passer from the NT position on nickel downs. They essentially play two 3 techs in the middle on nickel.

Your ends in nickel will most likely be Fowler on the strong side and Ngakoue on the weak-side.

Malik will play the majority of 3 tech DT snaps regardless of base or nickel. 

Base:

Campbell  -  Jones  -  Jackson   -   Ngakoue/Fowler

Nickel: 

Fowler  -  Campbell  -   Jackson  -  Ngakoue

Obviously they have guys that will rotate in the middle  - and  it seems they are trying to find another guy to rotate on the end as well. 

For what it's worth, PFF graded Calais' snaps at NT in Arizona's 3-4 extremely high...he's just that darn good and versatile. Say we did get Thomas at 4 and wanted to do Yannick/Malik/Campbell/Thomas base it would go just fine I have no doubt. 

If the season started today, we missed the draft, OTAs and other practices...so it wouldn't matter, we would suck.

Quote:For what it's worth, PFF graded Calais' snaps at NT in Arizona's 3-4 extremely high...he's just that darn good and versatile. Say we did get Thomas at 4 and wanted to do Yannick/Malik/Campbell/Thomas base it would go just fine I have no doubt. 

I agree.  But I think given Campbell's age and benefit as a pass rusher, they won't use up his snap count and wear and tear with a high number of snaps at base NT.  Simply rotating with Thomas at base strong end would make more sense IMO in that scenario.

Then he's fresher to rush from inside in nickel. Not worn down from taking on double teams at base NT. 
Quote:If the season started today, we missed the draft, OTAs and other practices...so it wouldn't matter, we would suck.

hehe! lol
Quote:Abry plays NT on base downs. Campbell will be on the strong-side end in base formation with Ngakoue or Fowler on the weak side end.

Campbell (or a rotational player like Day/Jones/Bennett) will rush the passer from the NT position on nickel downs. They essentially play two 3 techs in the middle on nickel.

Your ends in nickel will most likely be Fowler on the strong side and Ngakoue on the weak-side.

Base:

Campbell - Jones - Jackson - Ngakoue/Fowler

Nickel:

Fowler - Campbell - Jackson - Ngakoue

Obviously they have guys that will rotate in the middle - and it seems they are trying to find another guy to rotate on the end as well.

I like this. That looks like a solid lineup there, especially when u think about the speed at LB and those corners
Quote:Abry plays NT on base downs. Campbell will be on the strong-side end in base formation with Ngakoue or Fowler on the weak side end.

Base:

Campbell - Jones - Jackson - Ngakoue/Fowler

Nickel:

Fowler - Campbell - Jackson - Ngakoue

Obviously they have guys that will rotate in the middle - and it seems they are trying to find another guy to rotate on the end as well.

Exactly!
Quote:If the season started today, we missed the draft, OTAs and other practices...so it wouldn't matter, we would suck.

Sad thing is we've had all of that the last ten years and we still sucked.