Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cruz picked a running mate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, at least he doesn't let delegate math rain on his parade.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/te...rina-as-vp

Anyone remember someone who can't win the nomination declaring a running mate?

Like I said in the other topic:

Ted Cruz needs a running mate like the Cleveland Browns need a trophy case for all their Lombardis.

I might as well pick a running mate too
Well crap, there goes the last person with a chance in hell in this race that I thought was worth voting for. When your choice of running mate based her entire platform on how successfully she crashed HP into the rocks and set the wreckage on fire, I can't help but wonder if you've completely lost it.

A last-ditch play for Trump's "outsider" votes?

Quote:Well, at least he doesn't let delegate math rain on his parade.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/politics/te...rina-as-vp

Anyone remember someone who can't win the nomination declaring a running mate?

Actually it's a pretty smart move on his part.  It's going to drive more voters against Trump and force a contested convention.  It also gives a clear picture of what a Ted Cruz Presidential run would look like.  A duo that are "outsiders" as far as the republican establishment, and two strict followers of The Constitution.  If most true republicans identify themselves as "true conservatives", this is the ideal ticket.

Also, Carly can very much help with California..

Quote:Well crap, there goes the last person with a chance in hell in this race that I thought was worth voting for. When your choice of running mate based her entire platform on how successfully she crashed HP into the rocks and set the wreckage on fire, I can't help but wonder if you've completely lost it.

A last-ditch play for Trump's "outsider" votes?

For starters, that's not what her campaign was about, but keep parroting the media line all you want.  Show me any one of the other candidates in the race regardless of party went from being a secretary to being the CEO of a major company.  People tend to focus on a narrow view of someone, and because of media manipulation, it's often a wrong view.  Look back at when she was CEO of HP (1999 - 2005) and think about what happened to similar companies (tech industry) after the "dot-com" bubble burst.
Haha Cruz is done man. Give it up. All Trump has to do is slam dunk it in a basketball ring and it's over.
Jagibelieve posted:

"Actually it's a pretty smart move on his part. It's going to drive more voters against Trump and force a contested convention. It also gives a clear picture of what a Ted Cruz Presidential run would look like. A duo that are "outsiders" as far as the republican establishment, and two strict followers of The Constitution. If most true republicans identify themselves as "true conservatives", this is the ideal ticket.

Also, Carly can very much help with California.."

I might think it was a smart move, but there is no way (in my opinion) that Cruz is the candidate the establishment picks if the convention is contested.

Trump has them where he wants them. Even if he doesn't get the 1237 he will have nearly twice the delegates as anyone else.
Quote:Jagibelieve posted:

"Actually it's a pretty smart move on his part. It's going to drive more voters against Trump and force a contested convention. It also gives a clear picture of what a Ted Cruz Presidential run would look like. A duo that are "outsiders" as far as the republican establishment, and two strict followers of The Constitution. If most true republicans identify themselves as "true conservatives", this is the ideal ticket.

Also, Carly can very much help with California.."

I might think it was a smart move, but there is no way (in my opinion) that Cruz is the candidate the establishment picks if the convention is contested.

Trump has them where he wants them. Even if he doesn't get the 1237 he will have nearly twice the delegates as anyone else.

I beg to differ on that.

While I can understand you seeing a reluctance of the establishment picking Cruz, I don't really think that they have an option at this point.  I had thought that they might pick Rubio, but I do believe that it would signal a "Hillary win" at this point.  While Rubio does appeal more towards the center and would get democrat votes, I think that the farther right conservatives would stay home.

In contrast, if the GOP selects Cruz, I see most conservatives and some "middle of the spectrum" voters voting for him, especially those that are against anything that Hillary stands for.

It's coming "down to the wire" so to speak.  The far majority of conservatives would not back Trump... even if it means a Hillary coronation election.  It would essentially be a choice between two candidates that are the same except for the letter (R or D) next to their name.
Quote:I beg to differ on that.

While I can understand you seeing a reluctance of the establishment picking Cruz, I don't really think that they have an option at this point. I had thought that they might pick Rubio, but I do believe that it would signal a "Hillary win" at this point. While Rubio does appeal more towards the center and would get democrat votes, I think that the farther right conservatives would stay home.

In contrast, if the GOP selects Cruz, I see most conservatives and some "middle of the spectrum" voters voting for him, especially those that are against anything that Hillary stands for.

It's coming "down to the wire" so to speak. The far majority of conservatives would not back Trump... even if it means a Hillary <del>coronation</del> election. It would essentially be a choice between two candidates that are the same except for the letter (R or D) next to their name.
In my opinion, if Trump losses a contested election, the Republicans lose the general election. Trump supporters would refuse to support Cruz. Heck, even without Trump running a 3rd party campaign the GOP is in trouble. I mean, seriously, all it would take would be 5% of Trump supporters (assuming they are regular voters) refusing to back the GOP candidate and the swing states become a solid blue.
Every day another desperate cry for attention from eliminaTed. 

JIB is going down with the ship.

[Image: film_7w_nightremember.jpg]

-1 for Cruz, he pulled a John McCain on the VP choice. 

Quote:In my opinion, if Trump losses a contested election, the Republicans lose the general election. Trump supporters would refuse to support Cruz. Heck, even without Trump running a 3rd party campaign the GOP is in trouble. I mean, seriously, all it would take would be 5% of Trump supporters (assuming they are regular voters) refusing to back the GOP candidate and the swing states become a solid blue.
I think Trump loses the election at this point anyway. The antics he's pulled up to now just won't work in the general election campaign. He has virtually no appeal to Democrats, but supporters of candidates like Rubio, Bush and Kasich could easily find Hillary more appealing than Trump.

Quote:-1 for Cruz, he pulled a John McCain on the VP choice. 
I think that's a pretty good description, actually.
Quote:I think Trump loses the election at this point anyway. The antics he's pulled up to now just won't work in the general election campaign. He has virtually no appeal to Democrats, but supporters of candidates like Rubio, Bush and Kasich could easily find Hillary more appealing than Trump.

Along the lines of what you mentioned,  at the very least a significant % of Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio,  Jeb Bush,  and John Kasich voters aren't going to vote for Donald Trump in the general election.   On the other hand,  it's likely that a noticeably higher % of Bernie Sanders supporters will vote for Hillary Clinton.   If the general election is between Clinton and Trump,   I think Clinton is going to win in a landslide.  There will be states in play that have gone Republican for a long time.  
Quote:Every day another desperate cry for attention from eliminaTed.
I see what you did there
Quote: Along the lines of what you mentioned,  at the very least a significant % of Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio,  Jeb Bush,  and John Kasich voters aren't going to vote for Donald Trump in the general election.   On the other hand,  it's likely that a noticeably higher % of Bernie Sanders supporters will vote for Hillary Clinton.   If the general election is between Clinton and Trump,   I think Clinton is going to win in a landslide.  There will be states in play that have gone Republican for a long time.  

Very true, and I do think that it's by design.  I for one can not bring myself to cast a vote for either Clinton or Trump.  As far as I'm concerned they are two peas in a pod.  I'll either write in a candidate or for the first time in my voting life not go to the polls.
Quote:Very true, and I do think that it's by design.  I for one can not bring myself to cast a vote for either Clinton or Trump.  As far as I'm concerned they are two peas in a pod.  I'll either write in a candidate or for the first time in my voting life not go to the polls.
Pick a third party candidate and vote for them imo. No better way to express disapproval of a party than to be a registered member of it and vote for someone else. Both parties have become so polarized that the majority of Americans, who are reasonably moderate and agree on more than they disagree on, are tuning out the process. That needs to change.
Quote:Very true, and I do think that it's by design. I for one can not bring myself to cast a vote for either Clinton or Trump. As far as I'm concerned they are two peas in a pod. I'll either write in a candidate or for the first time in my voting life not go to the polls.

I reached that point with Romney and Obama shortly after the election I change my registration and have disvowed the GOP.

Vote third party if a third party gets I think 13% of the vote they are automatically included in the next presidential debate platform. I might be off on the number but it's under 20% for sure.
Quote:I reached that point with Romney and Obama shortly after the election I change my registration and have disvowed the GOP.

Vote third party if a third party gets I think 13% of the vote they are automatically included in the next presidential debate platform. I might be off on the number but it's under 20% for sure.

Nope.  They have to be polling 15% two weeks before the first Presidential Debate to be included.  It's a rule that was added after Ross Perrot.  
Quote:Very true, and I do think that it's by design. I for one can not bring myself to cast a vote for either Clinton or Trump. As far as I'm concerned they are two peas in a pod. I'll either write in a candidate or for the first time in my voting life not go to the polls.

You have a 20 on you?