Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Membership Shopping Clubs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Which of the big members only clubs are the best in town. I have used Costco and Sam's club. Admittedly, I have never been into a BJ's. I was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons about any of them, or a reason that one would be better than the others.

I have the executive membership at Costco, and use them a majority of the time. I love their stuff. The two downsides to them is that there is only one in town, and it's pretty far from where I live. The second negative is that they are always jam packed. Finding parking is always a nightmare, and the length of the checkout lines makes Walmart look good by comparison. Aside of that, they are my favorite.

I also have a business membership for Sam's club. They have a lot of good stuff too. In fact, I find a lot of comparable items cheaper at Sam's. Having 3 in town is a nice plus too. I just don't like them as much as Costco, but don't have a great reason why.

BJ's - like I said before, I have never been to one. I don't know the first thing about them.

So, which one is tops for you?

Here's the dirty little secret about membership clubs: their bulk prices on name-brand goods are still higher than what you'd pay for the store brand at Publix, their electronics prices are higher than what you'd pay (and worse than what you could get) at Amazon or Newegg, their tire prices are no better than Discount Tire (and nitrogen is a scam) and you don't have to pay a membership fee or use a certain credit card at any of those other stores.

Quote:Here's the dirty little secret about membership clubs: their bulk prices on name-brand goods are still higher than what you'd pay for the store brand at Publix, their electronics prices are higher than what you'd pay (and worse than what you could get) at Amazon or Newegg, their tire prices are no better than Discount Tire (and nitrogen is a scam) and you don't have to pay a membership fee or use a certain credit card at any of those other stores.

I do a lot of comparison shopping, and these are not universal truths. You just have to do your homework.
Some stuff is a good deal at the warehouse clubs. Certanily not everything but the pizza they sell at Sam's makes them my first choice.
Quote:Here's the dirty little secret about membership clubs: their bulk prices on name-brand goods are still higher than what you'd pay for the store brand at Publix, their electronics prices are higher than what you'd pay (and worse than what you could get) at Amazon or Newegg, their tire prices are no better than Discount Tire (and nitrogen is a scam) and you don't have to pay a membership fee or use a certain credit card at any of those other stores.

Ionno I go to Sams and the food is actually better priced on certain items but yeah the electronics are a rip off.  
The Costco sampling stations alone are worth the price of a membership.  

Quote:Which of the big members only clubs are the best in town. I have used Costco and Sam's club. Admittedly, I have never been into a BJ's. I was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons about any of them, or a reason that one would be better than the others.

I have the executive membership at Costco, and use them a majority of the time. I love their stuff. The two downsides to them is that there is only one in town, and it's pretty far from where I live. The second negative is that they are always jam packed. Finding parking is always a nightmare, and the length of the checkout lines makes Walmart look good by comparison. Aside of that, they are my favorite.

I also have a business membership for Sam's club. They have a lot of good stuff too. In fact, I find a lot of comparable items cheaper at Sam's. Having 3 in town is a nice plus too. I just don't like them as much as Costco, but don't have a great reason why.

BJ's - like I said before, I have never been to one. I don't know the first thing about them.

So, which one is tops for you?

It depends on what you want to use them for.  Small business option?  Large family?
Quote:I do a lot of comparison shopping, and these are not universal truths. You just have to do your homework.
Absolutely correct. We have a BJ's membership and if you price things out they blow away other grocery stores.
Haven't been in a Costco in years, as I've been a BJs member for a while now. No complaints from me.