Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Conceal carry gun bill would allow states to cross-honor permits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Conceal carry gun bill would allow states to cross-honor permits

<div>
A gun owner crossing state lines with a legally registered firearm can land in prison under what critics say is a “patchwork” of laws that have little to do with public safety.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/...rmits.html

</div>

This is one area where I think that Federal Law should prevail.  Somebody that holds a conceal carry permit should be able to do so no matter what state they visit.
I agree. 

Quote:This is one area where I think that Federal Law should prevail.  Somebody that holds a conceal carry permit should be able to do so no matter what state they visit.
Considering they have to pass a federal background check, you'd think that would be the case, and in most instances, reciprocity exists between states for permitted gun owners.  But, there are certain states that you don't dare even drive into without checking the gun laws first, lest you want to spend some time in jail or a fortune in court fees. 
Quote:This is one area where I think that Federal Law should prevail.  Somebody that holds a conceal carry permit should be able to do so no matter what state they visit.

nope let the States permit the use as they see fit. I never advocate the Feds over the States. 
Quote:nope let the States permit the use as they see fit. I never advocate the Feds over the States.

Never? So if a state wants to legislate away political speech that's good with you?
Quote:Never? So if a state wants to legislate away political speech that's good with you?

No they can't do that but they can legislate how it's used in their state.
Quote:No they can't do that but they can legislate how it's used in their state.

Man, a guy who thinks roads should be privatized thinks speech can be regulated? Whar happened to you?
Quote:Man, a guy who thinks roads should be privatized thinks speech can be regulated? Whar happened to you?

Regulated is a broad term, I'm all for free speech but if a state wants to establish peramators on exercising any right that's thier prerogative and up to the people of that stats to fight or accept.

California wants to establish free speech zones fine no skin off my back I'll deal with Florida they can do want they want elsewhere.
Quote:Regulated is a broad term, I'm all for free speech but if a state wants to establish peramators on exercising any right that's thier prerogative and up to the people of that stats to fight or accept.

California wants to establish free speech zones fine no skin off my back I'll deal with Florida they can do want they want elsewhere.

Allowing it to occur anywhere puts your own freedom in jeopardy. Our system of jurisprudence is heavily dependent on precedence, and that means that a bad ruling in any court is bad for all of us. We aren't independent states anymore, we're legally interconnected now whether you like it or not. As such we have to resist encroachment within our nation, not just our state.
I bet the crime rates in places like Chicago, Baltimore and NYC would fall rapidly if the bad guys knew any tourist could now be packing heat.

Quote:I bet the crime rates in places like Chicago, Baltimore and NYC would fall rapidly if the bad guys knew any tourist could now be packing heat.

Most of the big city crime is concentrated in neighborhoods controlled by the drug dealers, not places where tourists visit.

Most states have reciprocal agreements. There is a book one can buy that lists the nuances of each state's individual laws and procedures. If you intend to travel and want to remain legal while carrying concealed, I highly recommend purchasing the book and making absolutely sure what you can and cannot do in each state. Hell, keep the book with you, if you are pulled over and have the book, chances are a reasonable law enforcement officer would show discretion and leniency if you showed them that you did what was shown to be the law. They likely would issue a warning and send you on your way. That is if it were a benign thing, like a traffic stop for a tail light out or something. If you're running dope or something, I wouldn't hold your breath.