Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Rashean Mathis to Retire a Jaguar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jaguars'>Jacksonville Jaguars ‏@Jaguars </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/718504389896499200' title="2:22 PM - 8 Apr 2016">15m15 minutes ago</a>

<p class="">Rashean Mathis will sign a one-day contract to retire a Jaguar next week.

Interesting and cool.  Welcome home.

Good news.

Welcome back, Rashean!

As he should
Most underrated player in franchise history

This makes me happy. Welcome home, bud.

Welcome back, and thank you!!

I don't like this. One day contracts are fine when a player left for a year or had unproductive years away ie backup roles. But Mathis had 3 productive starting years with the lions, kind of a slap in the face the liond organization. I personally wouldn't do that when a quarter of my career was with that team.

I'm not saying I don't like Mathis or saying he isn't arguably one of our top corners ever. Just 3 years is a long time.

Edit some grammar
Quote:I don't like this. One day contracts are fine when a player left for a year or had unproductive years away ie backup roles. But Mathis had 3 productive starting years with the lions, kind of a slap in the face the liond organization. I personally wouldn't do that when a quarter of my career was with that team.

I'm not saying I don't like Mathis or saying he isn't arguably one of our top corners ever. Just 3 years is a long time.

Edit some grammar
We drafted and developed him. He was our star for the vast majority of his career.
Quote:I don't like this. One day contracts are fine when a player left for a year or had unproductive years away ie backup roles. But Mathis had 3 productive starting years with the lions, kind of a slap in the face the liond organization. I personally wouldn't do that when a quarter of my career was with that team.

Edit some grammar

I don't view Rashean Mathis'  decision as anything negative towards the Lions.   Rashean was tremendously helpful with the Lions on and off the field during his time with the team.   Before and after Rashean announced his retirement,  he only had good things to say about Jim Caldwell,  the Lions organization as a whole,  and his teammates.   He has a great relationship with Coach Caldwell and many of his teammates,  starting with Darius Slay.    Even though Rashean Mathis has fond memories and great relationships from his time with the Lions,   he spent his first 10 seasons with the Jaguars and is from Jacksonville.   IMO,  he made a great decision to retire as a Jaguar. 

I wish Rashean Mathis and his family nothing but the best.    I hope down the road he will inducted into the Pride of the Jaguars.  
Sign him to a 4 game contract.
Good

Quote:We drafted and developed him. He was our star for the vast majority of his career.
This.

Edit some grammar

Was this the same as you felt about Fred Taylor? He may not have been as productive in comparison to Mathis, but he did spend a few years with another team.
Quote:Was this the same as you felt about Fred Taylor? He may not have been as productive in comparison to Mathis, but he did spend a few years with another team.
Stroud did it too
After he signs and before he retires...............................cut him.

Hmm. Mathis announces his retirement as a Jaguar. Colvin gets suspended for four games on the same day....
Heck let's keep him until Colvin comes back.
yeah i agree play him four games to truly retire a jag
Quote:Heck let's keep him until Colvin comes back.

I actually would be in support of this if he was willing.
Pages: 1 2