Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Isms in america
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been wanting to post something on this for a while and this morning I finally received the necessary motivation.  I was watching a news story about a GAP ad that had to be pulled down because it was deemed to be RACIST.  Please, take your time to click the link.  When you look at that picture is RACISM the first thing that crosses your mind?  

We are actively debating in another thread whether or not it is Gender biased to not want a heterosexual grown man to be able to freely walk into the women's room.  

I just watched a clip on Yahoo news about Valerie Jarett, a senior adviser to POTUS convening a group of private and public sector leaders to combat sexism and gender stereotypes in children's toys...  

Don't get me wrong, I find sexism, racism, or any other kind of discrimination wrong and offensive, i say this as a person of color who has been arrested and falsely accused of a felony for no other reason than the melanin content of my skin.  

At the same time, as someone who pretends to be objective on the weekend I can't help but to think that this is a society being run by a group of people who are used to an academic system that just hands out gold stars every time they can use the word sexism, racism, colonialism, fascism or crony capitalism in a sentence to rip this country!

I find the ones who see racism in everything are the ones who struggle with racism themselves.

It's really far reaching to call that add racist heck it's ridiculous, its four kids standing around for a picture. But in our world it only takes one and most will bend at the knees to prove their not whatever ism theyve been accused of.
"We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game'"

- Bob Marley

Black child used as a prop.
... Thank u captain.
Quote:Black child used as a prop.

Seriously? I am a tall person and was always doing that to my friends as a joke, no matter the color of their skin or if they were a guy or girl, and no one had a problem with it. Well the guys didn't like that I was taller than them. Of course this was back in the 80's when there was still common sense to be found.
Quote:Seriously? I am a tall person and was always doing that to my friends as a joke, no matter the color of their skin or if they were a guy or girl, and no one had a problem with it. Well the guys didn't like that I was taller than them. Of course this was back in the 80's when there was still common sense to be found.

It is utterly and completely outrageous. Beyond belief!

What is the world coming to?

In conclusion -

I digress.
I don't think that the ad is racist.  I think it's an overreaction.  But let's not pretend that the right doesn't overreact too.  They call persecution any time someone takes down Religious Monuments on governmental property.  Or they complain when companies are 'politically correct', like when Starbucks just put out their Red Holiday cups.  They use the word 'communist' like they're Joseph McCarthy.

Everything is an overreaction these days. It's like people are finding reasons to be mad at someone or something and if they can't then they make something happen to be outraged about. It takes away the importance of the things we should legitimately be upset about as a people.  

It's also an overreaction to take incidents like this and use it as proof of societal decline. We're a nation of 350 million people, this is a tiny fraction displaying stupidity.

The burning question is...

...why does jj pretend to be objective on the weekend?

Tiny fraction? Two of the biggest sports leagues in the world... Ok.
Quote:Tiny fraction? Two of the biggest sports leagues in the world... Ok.

GAP is a sports league?

What do you pretend to be during the week?
Read the op in its entirety.
Ah, the playground of the liberals and progressives.

Quote:I don't think that the ad is racist.  I think it's an overreaction.  But let's not pretend that the right doesn't overreact too.  They call persecution any time someone takes down Religious Monuments on governmental property.  Or they complain when companies are 'politically correct', like when Starbucks just put out their Red Holiday cups.  They use the word 'communist' like they're Joseph McCarthy.
There you go, let's justify stupidity by pointing out how the stupid people on the other side did something stupid which makes it it acceptable to be even stupider. 
People are too sensitive these days. One thing I can't understand is cyber bullying. The saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me" seems to have been forgotten amongst the teens of today.
Quote:Read the op in its entirety.

It was a scattershot post, and the two subjects are much different.

I'm still wondering why you pretend to be objective, but only on weekends.
Whereas this weekend thing coming from?
Quote:Whereas this weekend thing coming from?

Quote: At the same time, as someone who pretends to be objective on the weekend I can't help but to think that this is a society being run by a group of people who are used to an academic system that just hands out gold stars every time they can use the word sexism, racism, colonialism, fascism or crony capitalism in a sentence to rip this country!

Right there...
Gotcha
Pages: 1 2