Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Realistic target for 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What are your realistic targets for this year? Despite the Jags having a much stronger team this year I still think we struggle to make the playoffs. The fixtures are much harder than last year and our division seems slightly stronger than last year also.

Don't shoot me down, I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs I just think we need to stay grounded and not get carried away. Unless we get Bosa in the draft, go ahead and get carried away!
Quote:What are your realistic targets for this year? Despite the Jags having a much stronger team this year I still think we struggle to make the playoffs. The fixtures are much harder than last year and our division seems slightly stronger than last year also.

Don't shoot me down, I'm not saying we won't make the playoffs I just think we need to stay grounded and not get carried away. Unless we get Bosa in the draft, go ahead and get carried away!
What do you mean by this?
This is a much improved team over past seasons, but t's an incredibly tough schedule chalk full of expected Playoff contenders. To be over this losing slump, I feel the team simply has to reach 8-8. and even with this schedule I feel that's doable if everyone commits and the injuries are manageable. I can see the Jaguars having some Playoff implications, but actually playing in a Wild Card game would be an unexpected bonus.

Quote:This is a much improved team over past seasons, but t's an incredibly tough schedule chalk full of expected Playoff contenders. To be over this losing slump, I feel the team simply has to reach 8-8. and even with this schedule I feel that's doable if everyone commits and the injuries are manageable. I can see the Jaguars having some Playoff implications, but actually playing in a Wild Card game would be an unexpected bonus.

8-8 for this team would be a failure. At some point the excuses for losing have to stop and the house needs to be put in order just for the sake of making sure the talent on the team doesn't go to waste under poor coaching. First move after making it to 8-8 should be Khan handing Gus his pink slip.
Quote:8-8 for this team would be a failure. At some point the excuses for losing have to stop and the house needs to be put in order just for the sake of making sure the talent on the team doesn't go to waste under poor coaching. First move after making it to 8-8 should be Khan handing Gus his pink slip.

I might agree with you if the Jaguars had a schedule like they did last year, but their list of opponents this season is brutal. 

It's playoffs or bust with the amount of talent we have. Period.
Quote:I might agree with you if the Jaguars had a schedule like they did last year, but their list of opponents this season is brutal. 

Last season the team badly underperformed. A decent coach could have led the Jaguars to the playoffs in 2015. Sure the schedule is tougher this season, but the team needs to play like a good team. Good teams win against a tough schedule. Great teams win A LOT against a tough schedule. 8-8 shouldn't cut it anymore. Four years just to manage your way to 8-8 with pro bowl level players at TE WR and QB isn't good enough.
Quote:Four years just to manage your way to 8-8 with pro bowl level players at TE WR and QB isn't good enough.

And Safety, RB and DT. But I disagree that 8-8 gets Gus the axe. In fact I'd he happy with 8-8. As long as each consecutive season is an improvement over the last and the ceiling is within the 12-16 range in terms of wins, I wouldn't care if a monkey was coaching the team. I can be patient, I just want consistent progress as most fans do.
I don't see over 8 wins and would be OK with 8. Tough schedule but everybody has a hard road.

Note: OP is from Warrington, UK...on Google Maps it looks to be almost 4 hours from London, halfway between Liverpool and Manchester. Jags fans are all over the UK it looks. Another guy was from Shifnal, near Birmingham and over 2 hours from London.

At least 8 wins.

8 wins is a huge fail. We have the talent to win the South.

Bortles is a 45 passer with around 40 TD

Yeldon is capable of 1k

Thomas is a red zone nightmare

Hurns 1k 10th

Robinson 1k 13th

Telvin has all products talent

Poz is top 5 tackle machine

Fowler has LEO written all over him

House is solid

Gipson is a Pro Bowler

Linder has all products ability

Cann is a classic guard

Greene is a home run hitter on special teams.

Lee is a weapon we keep as an extra Ferrari in the garage.

Amukamura can do his job

Cyp can't. Lol...but seriously, we can take over the South.

We are like the Golden State Warriors of the NBA. We are about to arrive and take over.

Brady is old, Luck is an after thought, Big Ben's window is closing shut, Dayton will never win a playoff game, Mariotta isn't on Bortles' level. Neither is Oswiler, Flacco is rebuilding up in Baltimore, RG3 is not the answer in Cleveland, Tannehill...really?, ummm...the bills could make noise, the Jets are way better than I thought but Fitz is old and not long term, Manning retired...

The AFC power houses are about to shift.
7-9 if they let us down (or if Myers chokes)

8-8 realistically 

9-7 if they give us the wow factor.

I believe cutting Gus if we make 8-8 would stop our momentum or make us go back to 5-11 in 2017

Quote:7-9 if they let us down (or if Myers chokes)

8-8 realistically

9-7 if they give us the wow factor.

I believe cutting Gus if we make 8-8 would stop our momentum or make us go back to 5-11 in 2017

Gus will be defined in 2016. Too much talent.
Settling for 8-8.... Some of you have a loser mentality.

Gus needs to get 10 wins and make the playoffs this year. Literally no excuses.

We thought the Ravens would be a loss this past year...... Never know with the schedule.
Quote:What are your realistic targets for this year? Despite the Jags having a much stronger team this year I still think we struggle to make the playoffs. The fixtures are much harder than last year and our division seems slightly stronger than last year also.

Let's say the Jaguars draft LE Joey Bosa (which I doubt he will be there by #5 unless GM Dave Caldwell trades up, but then you have to give up next year's 1st round pick), and the DLine is fierce with a healthy Fowler JR & Odrick at LEO, NT Roy Miller, DTs Jackson, Marks,  Ryan Davis, Arby Jones LE Joey Bosa, Tyson Aluau, Chris Smith

It still leaves a weak spot at SOLB (i think Skuta played that role bad weak against the run, didnt really bring the pass rush either & coverage wasnt great they say he might move to RE but been a bit of a disappointment in my mind the Defensive ver of Toby Gerhart hype.  SS Cyprien still has to play better & CB Prince has to remain healthy with Nickel CB Colvin getting better.

I think LT Tunsil would really change dynamics having depth with Beachum & Luke simply being traded away for a 4th or later round if they are lucky.

Still leaves huge wholes on Defense but hopefully some steals in 2nd & 3rd at Corner & LE.

------------------

Jaguars have also confirmed OT Laremy Tunsil visiting today.-Source ESPN 11hours ago

Quote:8-8 for this team would be a failure. At some point the excuses for losing have to stop and the house needs to be put in order just for the sake of making sure the talent on the team doesn't go to waste under poor coaching. First move after making it to 8-8 should be Khan handing Gus his pink slip.
I have to agree to an extent. I am not a fan of Gus, and I feel like with the talent we have you should be around or over .500. I just can't see Gus getting this team over the hump, but I would absolutely love to be wrong and we win 10 games. Good teams beat other talented teams, and there are no excuses in the NFL. With the talent on the roster we should see at least 8 wins in the upcoming season. 
Quote:I don't see over 8 wins and would be OK with 8. Tough schedule but everybody has a hard road.

Note: OP is from Warrington, UK...on Google Maps it looks to be almost 4 hours from London, halfway between Liverpool and Manchester. Jags fans are all over the UK it looks. Another guy was from Shifnal, near Birmingham and over 2 hours from London.

As soon as I booked a holiday to Florida last year I was straight on to ticketmaster to get a ticket for the Jags - Houston game. Followed them intently since watching each week, I'll definitely be back to catch another game.
You really do live up to your handle 'seldomRite'. Reaching 8-8 would be awesome for this team and the first step out of the ranks of the bottom dwellers. Realistically, given that this team needs another year before they become genuine playoff contenders, and given the difficulty of this years schedule, to reach 8-8 would be a great accomplishment.

Like so many others on this board, you have unrealistic expectations which lead to frustration and disappointment.

Quote:Settling for 8-8.... Some of you have a loser mentality.

Gus needs to get 10 wins and make the playoffs this year. Literally no excuses.

We thought the Ravens would be a loss this past year...... Never know with the schedule.

Where we have been and the schedule this year and some of the improvements our opponents have made, 8-8 will be a big success this year.  Saying they have to have 10 wins and a playoff is a must will set yourself up for disappointment. 

I am looking at a 9-7, 10-6 record, and making the playoffs.

No need to set the bar low for this year.

Too much talent on the team now, no reason they are not in the post-season for the upcoming year.

Pages: 1 2 3 4