Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Less wide receiver screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like to see a change in approach to screen passes. Less wide receiver screens and more to the running backs. Wide receivers go down too easy compared to running backs.
The WR screen to Hurns was our bread and butter play last year.   Anytime we needed to ensure Blake did not throw a pick 6 or if we just wanted to not lose too many yards on a 4th down, that was our go to play.

LOL THIS^^^^

Quote:The WR screen to Hurns was our bread and butter play last year.   Anytime we needed to ensure Blake did not throw a pick 6 or if we just wanted to not lose too many yards on a 4th down, that was our go to play.
I wanted to gouge my eyes out when Olson called a screen to Hurns on 4th and 1 with the game on the line against the Packers... either do a QB dive, or literally ANY throw beyond the sticks. Nothing against Hurns, I think he's fantastic I just think given the down and distance it's a terrible playcall
The thing is, screen passes are most effective when you're going to either a running back, or a physical receiver, and the plays have to be bang-bang to work.  The problem we had was that we pretty much telegraphed screen passes to receivers, and they took too long to set up, which allowed them to fail.  When you have athletic receivers like Hurns or Robinson who should be able to break a tackle or two to convert a short first down, if you execute it correctly it should work most of the time.  The problem wasn't the play called as much as it was the way it was executed. 

Tom Brady makes his living with screens and the short passing game.  Almost 20% of all passing plays are at or behind the line of scrimmage league-wide.  We didn't try to get creative with the way we designed plays early in the season, and as a result, the screens would get swallowed up, especially on short yardage downs. 

Quote:The thing is, screen passes are most effective when you're going to either a running back, or a physical receiver, and the plays have to be bang-bang to work. The problem we had was that we pretty much telegraphed screen passes to receivers, and they took too long to set up, which allowed them to fail. When you have athletic receivers like Hurns or Robinson who should be able to break a tackle or two to convert a short first down, if you execute it correctly it should work most of the time. The problem wasn't the play called as much as it was the way it was executed.

Tom Brady makes his living with screens and the short passing game. Almost 20% of all passing plays are at or behind the line of scrimmage league-wide. We didn't try to get creative with the way we designed plays early in the season, and as a result, the screens would get swallowed up, especially on short yardage downs.
Exactly. Take too long to set up, and overall we suck at it. Too dependent on other wide receivers to block.
Quote:Exactly. Take too long to set up, and overall we suck at it. Too dependent on other wide receivers to block.
My point is that it's more about execution, and not so much about play calling that's the issue.  Hopefully with a new emphasis on precision and execution, and some more creativity in how we're calling these plays, we'll get more production when we do run them.  Believe me, nothing made me more annoyed than seeing the same bubble screens telegraphed over and over again as if we were somehow going to fool the defense.
When you have no running game, you need to have a quick, short passing game. If we can start picking up decent chunks of yards on the ground, bubble screens won't be necessary.
The Bills of the 90's screen game with Thurman Thomas was on point. I wouldn't mind modeling our screen game after that. Actually, Garrard to MJD on the screen usually played out pretty good for us too.
 Are we saying more screens to Yeldon?  I just don't feel very stronly about Yeldon and I don't think we have the players to do a lot of rb screens unless we end up drafting someone like that.

It all starts with better blocking. Of course with the screen you want to let rushers through, but get out in front and block for whomever is the screen receiver. We have not done that effectively.

Which coordinator use to abuse the WR screen? Was it Fisch or Olsen?

Quote:Which coordinator use to abuse the WR screen? Was it Fisch or Olsen?

They both did. But Fisch was worse.
They're going up, baby!  We're drafting McCaffrey!

Quote:They both did. But Fischer was worse.
Was he though?  I thought Olson relied way too much on the bubble screen nonsense.  That and stretch plays with slow running backs. 
Quote:When you have no running game, you need to have a quick, short passing game. If we can start picking up decent chunks of yards on the ground, bubble screens won't be necessary.

I would think that having no running game would cripple those quick, short passes to which you are referring.   No running game leaves the LBs free to drop into coverage.  
Quote:I would think that having no running game would cripple those quick, short passes to which you are referring. No running game leaves the LBs free to drop into coverage.

Exactly, which is why you call bubble screens. Keeps the LBs closer to the line. The WR screens were compensation for lack of running game.
Quote: 

Tom Brady makes his living with screens and the short passing game.  Almost 20% of all passing plays are at or behind the line of scrimmage league-wide.  We didn't try to get creative with the way we designed plays early in the season, and as a result, the screens would get swallowed up, especially on short yardage downs. 

Yes, and this is the defensive formation that he sees.  It seems like we're throwing them when there is press coverage right up at the line

[Image: vereen.0.jpg]
Bortles windup doesn't work with this play whatsoever!

I'm curious why we need to complain about something we didn't like from Olson's playbook when Hackett will be writing his own playbook in the coming months? 

One glaring issue with the screen play in Jacksonville in recent years has been Bortles timing. He's often a beat late getting the ball out and defenders have time to break to the play.  Same issue on swing and flats passes. He's often late to the party with the ball  -  or off the mark with the delivery.

Hackett seems to have a plan for this when looking at weeks 16 and 17 though. 

So - to put you worry-warts at ease, here's the sum total of screens in week 16 & 17 under Marrone/Hackett:

Week:16

1st Q: none

2nd Q : screen to Walters for 6 yards

3rd Q: none

4th Q: none

Week17:

1stQ:  screen to Tony Washington for 9 yards

2ndQ:

3rdQ:

4thQConfusedcreen to A-Rob for 7 yards

So - in the two weeks that we had our new HC/OC tandem working we ran a total of 3 WR screens for 7.3 yards each. 

NOT a problem people. Relax. 

What you see plenty of from Hackett instead of the screen is:
  • Drag routes by TEs
  • Passes to the flats for WRs and TEs with a number of designs - usually with other receivers "clearing out" the area instead setting a screen - he also will put the Z receiver in motion and pass to him in the flat opposite of where he lined up -(not sure the name of that  route - anyone?)
  • Quick come-back routes by outside receivers
  • Swing passes to RBs  (also the "in" or  "out"  or "circle" route over the middle to the RB  - did this effectively with Grant in week 17)
Pages: 1 2