Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Yet another thread looking at Blake Bortles' TDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since its pretty dead, and I don’t feel like reading anymore “Would you trade Blake Bortles for _____” threads, Ive decided to try and delve a little deeper into the “Blake Bortles Garbage Time TDs” argument.

As a disclaimer, I realize that “garbage time” is debatable to say the least, and that it also applies to INTs for which I have yet to count. I am also a huge Blake Bortles fan.

I counted 8 TDs;

2 vs NE

1 vs TB

1 vs HOU (wk 6)

1 vs SD

2 vs IND (wk 9)

1 vs NO

So it could be said our garbage time vs NE started immediately after the coin toss, so these two TDs are obvious.

In the TB game, Bortles threw a TD that left 1:05 in the fourth, forcing us to rely on an onside kick, drive the ball down the field, and get a TD to TIE the game. To me this is a garbage time TD, as I believe it only delayed the inevitable. I remember listening to the game on the radio and Boselli saying a similar remark.

In week 6 against the Texans, we were still down by 2 scores with 4 minutes left after he threw this one. Clearly garbage time.

Versus SD he had another TD with 1:21 left, our offense had been trash all game, and we again would have had to rely on an onside kick. Pretty much the exact same situation as the TB game.

Playing Indy, he had 2 4<sup>th</sup> qrtr tds (one rushing) after we were up by two TDs.

Finally, in the Saints game, he threw a TD late in the 4<sup>th</sup> when we were down by 18.

So there it is, in my personal opinion, Blake Bortles threw 8 garbage time TDs.

Shouldve just kneed the ball. No point in scoring during "garbage time" since the defense isnt really playing and those stats dont count.

I only count 0 garbage time TDs. I thought you made every attempt to score until the clock said 0:00 in the 4th. Is garbage time a separate quarter or something crazy fans make up?

How much a team is up is irrelevant if they are still going all out on defense. So just looking at scores means nothing. You'll have to go back to the tape.

Quote:I only count 0 garbage time TDs. I thought you made every attempt to score until the clock said 0:00 in the 4th. Is garbage time a separate quarter or something crazy fans make up?
Oh sorry for the confusion, the term " Garbage Time" has been around since the beginning of football.
Every QB has garbage time TDs, even when they win like the Colts blowout.  I'm sure Brady had quite a few when other teams laid down in the second half.  If you calculated them for every QB, I'm sure Bortles would still be near the top of the list in '15.

I don't believe in garbage time. All 60 mins in the game count so all stats that happened in the game will count.

Quote:Oh sorry for the confusion, the term " Garbage Time" has been around since the beginning of football.

I seriously doubt this, but I get your point. I prefer a glass half-filled, so I look at it as Blake and the rest of the offense competing until the final whistle.
Quote:Every QB has garbage time TDs, even when they win like the Colts blowout.  I'm sure Brady had quite a few when other teams laid down in the second half.  If you calculated them for every QB, I'm sure Bortles would still be near the top of the list in '15.
I agree fully, which is why I pointed out that I am a huge Blake Bortles' fan, all Qbs have garbage time stats.

I started the thread because for one, I was bored, and two, its been a hot topic for Bortles. I had seen people say that he threw as low as 3 "garbage time" TDs and I thought they were grasping at straws, so I decided to count all of the ones that fit within my realm of "garbage time".

Its seriously just an observation.
Quote:I seriously doubt this, but I get your point. I prefer a glass half-filled, so I look at it as Blake and the rest of the offense competing until the final whistle.
Ok....

Im glad everyone on this board is so competitive, but regardless of your feelings on "garbage time", it is a real thing that is recognized in most major sports.

I was really hoping to hear some debates on these TDs instead of everybody's moral stance on "garbage time".

Quote:How much a team is up is irrelevant if they are still going all out on defense. So just looking at scores means nothing. You'll have to go back to the tape.
Yeah, you have to look at the tape. Just because you're down by a lot doesn't mean that the opposing defense softens up.

Quote:I only count 0 garbage time TDs. I thought you made every attempt to score until the clock said 0:00 in the 4th. Is garbage time a separate quarter or something crazy fans make up?
LOOOOOLLLLL
Opposition up 5 tds in the 4th and we score

"Nah thats just competing"
No such thing as garbage time in the Nation Football League.

Guys play for their lively hood.
What is the point of this?

Does Bortles suck now that he has garbage time TDs (just like every other qb in the league)?

That one game I would not count as that. If you have anytime on the clock. And any chance including a onside quick away. It had a chance to be important.
Quote:What is the point of this?

Does Bortles suck now that he has garbage time TDs (just like every other qb in the league)?

According to some, it would appear.

I guess that means his (and other QBs) pick 6's in "garbage time" don't count, either.
Quote:Opposition up 5 tds in the 4th and we score

"Nah thats just competing"

There must be a quiting spirit in you
Quote:Shouldve just kneed the ball. No point in scoring during "garbage time" since the defense isnt really playing and those stats dont count.

The first team that scores wins.

After all, there's no such thing as a "comeback."
If I'm not mistaken, the point of this thread is:

Bortles threw 36 TD's last season. A high number of people discount this number because either "The Jags were always playing fron behind" or "there were so many garbage time TD's".

So, even if you were to concede that 8 of the TD's were in "garbage time" then he still threw 28 TD's.

Every QB will have thrown "garbage time" TD's this season, but let's say that none of them did. Blake would still be no lower than 13th in TD's thrown last year.
Pages: 1 2