Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Pete Prisco's prediction about offensive line
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pete Prisco was on 1010 this morning and predicted that both Joeckel and Beachum would end up starting on the offensive line. He felt both could play left guard so the loser of the left tackle competition would move to guard. He believes Joeckel could do a good job at guard, since he wouldn't have to contend with bull rushers who have space to maneuver. He is a pretty good run blocker so would fit at guard as would Beachum, who is actually built more like a guard. Prisco takes a lot of heat, but he is right more often than he is wrong. In case Beachum isn't ready to start the season, they have several other temporary options like Shatley and the free agent from Dallas.

If Beachum is ready to go to start the season (or even if he isn't, whenever he's ready), he'll win the starting LT job.  The only way I see Joeckel starting at LG is if the team simply can't find a Center, and they move Linder to that spot.  Joeckel might benefit from not having to deal with the bull rush at LG, but I would still view him as a liability no matter where you try to plug him in along the line.

Quote:Pete Prisco was on 1010 this morning and predicted that both Joeckel and Beachum would end up starting on the offensive line. He felt both could play left guard so the loser of the left tackle competition would move to guard. He believes Joeckel could do a good job at guard, since he wouldn't have to contend with bull rushers who have space to maneuver. He is a pretty good run blocker so would fit at guard as would Beachum, who is actually built more like a guard. Prisco takes a lot of heat, but he is right more often than he is wrong. In case Beachum isn't ready to start the season, they have several other temporary options like Shatley and the free agent from Dallas.

That's Pete being Pete.  Beachum could do it if necessary but I doubt he'll end up there unless Luke becomes Boselli next year and no other guard candidates emerge.  No way does Joeckel end up as a guard, too tall and he is a finesse player and lacks the toughness needed in a guard.
What if Tunsil falls in our lap at 5? 

Quote:That's Pete being Pete.  Beachum could do it if necessary but I doubt he'll end up there unless Luke becomes Boselli next year and no other guard candidates emerge.  No way does Joeckel end up as a guard, too tall and he is a finesse player and lacks the toughness needed in a guard.
Luke doesn't have to be Boselli to win the LT job, he just has to be better in camp and the preseason than Beachum.

I wouldn't write of Joeckel just yet. He will have his second full offseason in a row to work on getting stronger and competition can be one heck of a motivation tool.
No doubt Luke is athletic but after 3 years is he ever going to have the bulk and strength to move people around?  I don't see it...hope he proves me wrong.

Quote:What if Tunsil falls in our lap at 5?

I've wondered this too.
This year is important for strength and conditioning.  I contend his injuries are worse than reported.

Unless the first four picks are, in some order, Ramsey, Bosa, Jack and Hargreaves, I'd still go defense.

Quote:No doubt Luke is athletic but after 3 years is he ever going to have the bulk and strength to move people around?  I don't see it...hope he proves me wrong.
You have to remember he was dealing with a serious leg injury in his first season. He really has only had one offseason to recover his lower body strength.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it wouldn't surprise me if he began overcoming his strength issues this coming season.
Quote:That's Pete being Pete.  Beachum could do it if necessary but I doubt he'll end up there unless Luke becomes Boselli next year and no other guard candidates emerge.  No way does Joeckel end up as a guard, too tall and he is a finesse player and lacks the toughness needed in a guard.
"he is a finesse player and lacks the toughness needed in a guard". IMHO, he lacks the toughness to be a tackle also.
Quote:Luke doesn't have to be Boselli to win the LT job, he just has to be better in camp and the preseason than Beachum.

I wouldn't write of Joeckel just yet. He will have his second full offseason in a row to work on getting stronger and competition can be one heck of a motivation tool.

It pretty pathetic if all he has to do is beat out a gimped up lineman.
Quote:Unless the first four picks are, in some order, Ramsey, Bosa, Jack and Hargreaves, I'd still go defense.

Shaq Lawson
Quote:Shaq Lawson
I thought about adding him in there, but I'd have a hard time taking a guy who many are projecting as the equivalent of a 5-tech in the top five after adding two high-price 5-techs in the last two years. I like Lawson a lot, but that scares me a bit. I think we could trade back a bit and get him, which would make Tunsil option six at the fifth overall pick.
This is already what I assumed what was going to happen. Beachum/Joekel/Linder/Cann/Pernell

Joeckel is too weak to play guard.
Joeckel had the most trouble with power rushers struggling to imagine him holding his own inside.  If he doesnt win the LT spot i really dont known what they will do with him other then relegate him to the bench.
Joekel's struggle wasn't with power rushers. It was with guys who could edge and bull rush. When he had to go up against a guy that just bull rushed he did ok. He won't have that problem at guard.

Count me in the skeptical column regarding Joeckel at guard.  

I'm rooting for the kid to play well somewhere on the line, and I'd love to see it work out, but I can envision at least three other scenarios that would be more successful. 

Take him and dont think twice
Pages: 1 2