Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: A year from now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Luke Joeckel and Jonathan Cyprien are the last year of their contracts.  What do you think will happen?  The Jags have been so bad that these are the first home grown players in a long time, maybe since MJD, that they considered resigning.  It seems with Beachum at LT and James Sample at SS, that both players could be expendable unless they have big years. 

CYP DA GAWD will be here.

The Cyprien and Sample battle is going to be an interesting one to watch.  It would not shock me to see Sample outplay Cyprien, and win the spot long-term.  Cyprien has just lacked consistency needed to really stick at the spot, and he has had plenty of experience now that should have developed better consistency.  I think Cyprien goes.

I don't envision Beachum will be 100% to start the regular season, so Joeckel will get his opportunity to start and show hopeful improvement.  However, my gut says Beachum beats him out by mid-season and Joeckel just not being a fit in another starting spot.  I think Joeckel goes.

Joeckel will be the LT all season. Unless injured.
Quote:Luke Joeckel and Jonathan Cyprien are the last year of their contracts.  What do you think will happen?  The Jags have been so bad that these are the first home grown players in a long time, maybe since MJD, that they considered resigning.  It seems with Beachum at LT and James Sample at SS, that both players could be expendable unless they have big years. 
Dave has done a good job of covering for possible past mistakes.  Joeckel and Cyp were basically handed their jobs and have held them for the same reason - they are high picks, the administration dearly wants them to succeed, and they have played just well enough to fend off competition from the other (meager) options on the roster.  Now they face real competition with the signing of Beachum and with a healthy James Sample to get reps at SS. 

If Sample beats out Cyp, it's doubtful Cyp will get a 2nd contract here.  Joeckel faces a slightly different challenge in that his competition may not be fully rehabbed until September or later.  If Joeckel starts the season at LT, somebody will be starting at LG, so essentially Joeckel will have to beat out 2 players to keep a starting job. 
Both players are playing for their next contract. It would say a lot for them to lose their starting spots with so much on the line. Players tend to step up when the $ is calling.

It is a good thing that we do have options. LT has Beachum as a replacement (if healthy) and SS has Sample and Evans potentially waiting in the wings. 

At this point it would take a tremendous effort for either player to earn themselves a second contract with this team. I doubt either will be starting by season's end.

Meh!  You miss the point.  A year from now we will still be celebrating our 1st Super Bowl victory.  We will be mocking Cam after his meltdown having been sacked 7 times.  We will be euphoric in every aspect as we welcome back a sheepish TMD to the fold for the umteenth time and all past differences will be forgotten.  No one will give a rotund rats rectum who played left tackle.  Good times ahead, good times!

Super Bowl?

But I just did a new ranking and merely have the Jaguars at #15...

Here's my Pre-Draft Power Ranking...

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">1. Panthers

2. Seahawks

3. Patriots
4. Cardinals

5. Packers

6. Steelers

7. Chiefs

8. Vikings

9. Bengals

10. Broncos

11. Texans

12. Cowboys

13. Raiders

14. Bills

15. Jaguars

16. Bucs

17. Jets

18. Giants

19. Colts

20. Falcons

21. Ravens

22. Redskins

23. Chargers

24. Saints

25. Bears

26. Rams

27. Dolphins

28. Eagles

29. Lions

30. 49ers

31. Titans

32. Browns

I'm of the opinion that Cyp is a bad football player no matter who he plays with. It will be interesting to see if that holds true with Gibson beside him.
Another depressing draft class.

Joeckel

Cyp

Gratz

Sanders

Robinson

Evans

Harris 

McCray

Dave got a lot of starts out of that 2013 draft class, but not a lot of top quality play.  He did follow up in 2014 with what looks like a stellar draft.

Quote:Dave got a lot of starts out of that 2013 draft class, but not a lot of top quality play.  He did follow up in 2014 with what looks like a stellar draft.

2014 is looking amazing.

I think all those starts from 2013 were out of need from blowing up the roster. Dave's other classes look very good though. Future is very bright. 
Quote:Luke Joeckel and Jonathan Cyprien are the last year of their contracts.  What do you think will happen?  The Jags have been so bad that these are the first home grown players in a long time, maybe since MJD, that they considered resigning.  It seems with Beachum at LT and James Sample at SS, that both players could be expendable unless they have big years. 

I think this year is Luke's prove it year especially with Beachum signing.  As far as Jonathan Cyprien all signs point to him being resigned but he too hasn't been consistent.  They do have Sample whom is better at SS than at FS, but I think Jonathan will remain the starter.  He didnt really have a lot of help at FS or corner in the past with no real pass rush.  If the Jaguars sign an edge rusher & if Marks & Fowler are at 100% then he might look a lot better this year.
Quote:2014 is looking amazing.

I think all those starts from 2013 were out of need from blowing up the roster. Dave's other classes look very good though. Future is very bright. 

To be fair the 2013 was GM Dave Caldwell's first year drafting as the GM, but it was his worst drafting year so far..

Quote:To be fair the 2013 was GM Dave Caldwell's first year drafting as the GM, but it was his worst drafting year so far..
I feel like I read somewhere on these forums that all the scouting information for that draft was for the most part from the previous regime so would it be fair to put all the blame on DC?
Quote:Another depressing draft class.

Joeckel

Cyp

Gratz

Sanders

Robinson

Evans

Harris 

McCray
This draft had some talent, but overall it was a horrid draft class, worst in recent memory. 
Quote:The Cyprien and Sample battle is going to be an interesting one to watch.  It would not shock me to see Sample outplay Cyprien, and win the spot long-term.  Cyprien has just lacked consistency needed to really stick at the spot, and he has had plenty of experience now that should have developed better consistency.  I think Cyprien goes.

I don't envision Beachum will be 100% to start the regular season, so Joeckel will get his opportunity to start and show hopeful improvement.  However, my gut says Beachum beats him out by mid-season and Joeckel just not being a fit in another starting spot.  I think Joeckel goes.

With Cyp, I think this will be the year we can get a very clear picture on whether it was his lack of skill or the lack of a ball-hawking free safety that has held him back. My gut says even if sample plays well, unless Cyp stinks it up we will try to resign him. Other than Cyp and Sample I am not sure we have a great deal of depth at SS, so we could use both of them. 

With Joeckel, I guess we will know by May 3 what the plans are. If they don't exercise the option, he is most probably gone. I suppose it is possible they give him the option as insurance, but that seems like a pretty hefty hunk of insurance to me. Unless they feel like they could recoup the value of the option in a trade, if he is optioned I imagine he will stick around.

I mean what happens I guess depends on them, if they play their heart out some team will take them if not the Jaguars resigning them...

its a prove it year...
Quote:I feel like I read somewhere on these forums that all the scouting information for that draft was for the most part from the previous regime so would it be fair to put all the blame on DC?

Agreed I think he should get a pass for that...
Pages: 1 2