Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Let's say that the Jags win the AFC Championship Game in 96 and 99...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Do we go on to those two Superbowls and beat Reggie White and Green Bay in 96? as well as The Greatest Show on Turf in 99? Be honest. I've noticed that we spend a lot of time on here pondering about what could have happened in the conference championship, rather than what would have happened in the Superbowl.

Destroyed in 96. Win in 99. 

Quote:Destroyed in 96. Win in 99.

Yup.
Quote:Do we go on to those two Superbowls and beat Reggie White and Green Bay in 96? as well as The Greatest Show on Turf in 99? Be honest. I've noticed that we spend a lot of time on here pondering about what could have happened in the conference championship, rather than what would have happened in the Superbowl.

Lose to Green Bay by 10.  Outscore St. Louis in 99 in an offensive showcase.  No doubt in my mind.
Along those lines, I wonder if we would have gone undefeated in '99 if the tacks hadn't stolen our playbook.  Or did they just do that for the playoff game?  I've heard different versions.

Killed in 1996.

1999 we were the best team in football.
I also agree, 99,  we were the best team that year and would have beaten the Rams! Marshall Faulk knows that, and that is why he has hate and discontent for the Jags!

Quote:Destroyed in 96. Win in 99. 

Agree.

But I think the long term outcome would have been the same.

Cap hell, and nosedive.
I agree with everyone else.
Quote:Agree.

Cap hell, and nosedive.

I disagree.   After '99, we mortgaged the future because we thought we were very close to the mountain top.   If we had won the Super Bowl in 99, there's a good chance we would not have done that.   In that case, Tom Coughlin might still be our head coach today. 
I think from a pure personnel standpoint, we matched up well with Green Bay.

I think they "kill" us because Rison would have tipped them off about our playbook.

I think the Rams would have been more problematic for us.  Their overall speed was better than the Packers of 1996.

Yeah I think we lose big in 96 and win big in 99. The Rams

Had a horrible defense. I think Brackens and defense would step it up especially hearing how great the Rams offense is. 48-23 Jaguars 1999 Super Bowl Champions! Fred Taylor MVP
Quote:I think from a pure personnel standpoint, we matched up well with Green Bay.

I think they "kill" us because Rison would have tipped them off about our playbook.

I think the Rams would have been more problematic for us.  Their overall speed was better than the Packers of 1996.

The Rams didn't have a great defense and our offense was arguably the most explosive offense in football in 99.  Also our defense was pretty good that year.  No way the Rams could have kept up in my opinion.  It would have been a high scoring game though.

Just imagine Tony Boselli going up against Reggie White during the height of his prime...now that would have been a sight to see.

Quote:I disagree.   After '99, we mortgaged the future because we thought we were very close to the mountain top.   If we had won the Super Bowl in 99, there's a good chance we would not have done that.   In that case, Tom Coughlin might still be our head coach today. 

LOL... as if winning it would have made the effort "complete."  He'd been just as rabid to ensure he got the second.
I honestly feel the Jaguars lose both SBs. In '96 I don't think it would even be close, and in '99, Marshall Faulk would have exploited the Jaguars defensive weaknesses. I was at my best picking games back then and did a comparison for a possible SB, and it was rather clearly a win for the Rams.

Frankly I'm just glad the Titans lost that SB, and that the Panthers lost the most recent SB, because now the Jaguars still have a shot at winning a SB before either team.

Quote:Agree.

Cap hell, and nosedive.
Really?  Had we won it all in 99 there would have been no need to go for broke in 2000
Quote:Just imagine Tony Boselli going up against Reggie White during the height of his prime...now that would have been a sight to see.
Reggie White played mostly LDE, which means he would have gone against Searcy, not Boselli.
Quote:Reggie White played mostly LDE, which means he would have gone against Searcy, not Boselli.

That would've been an awesome match up too.