Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bennett, Sterling, Koyack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With another draft approaching, I'm wondering what the future holds for our late-rounders from last year.

It's probably a sign of our improving roster that none of them were used heavily last season. But none of them really made a lasting impression either.

Are any of them worth keeping?
I could see Bennett and Sterling flashing in camp/preseason and sticking around.
Any or all. I'd guess the worst-case scenario for Bennett is the practice squad, but depending on who we draft, Sterling and Koyack are anyone's guess.

Bennett will be on the 53 next year, he looked alright last year. Not sure on the other 2, I think Koyack sticks around now we only have 3 TE's on the roster. Sterling might if he has a good preseason but might end up on the PS.

Many were saying Bennett was a steal last year. Hopefully in year 2 he can force himself into the rotation and have an impact.

I hope Bennett can prove his worth this year

There are several players I'm looking forward to in camp this year, development of players is so vital to a teams future, developing depth instead of having to bring it in is so much more valuable
With Clay Harbor gone, a backup move TE spot behind Thomas is open.  I think they move Sterling to TE and give him a shot there.  

With Jackson and Marks now in front of Bennett, his future is questionable in Jax.  He was getting some playing time last year and was developing, but he may not gt the shot....possible trade bait?

I just don't think Koyack is looking at more than a return to the practice squad.  

Bowanko is another late round draft pick that I think will be a "sink or swim" camp for him. 

Sterling has a chance because he made the gameday roster last season as a backup WR and special teams. Special teams is always the key, and a guy that big with speed can have a role in ST (see Kevin Osgood).

Bennett's role is more in question given the depth of the D-Line. Malik, Sen, Odrick, Tyson, and even Abry Jones can play that 3T. Our lightning package has included Ryan Davis in that role, and Wash has talked of Fowler moving around to inside to take advantage of match-ups (although Dave backed off this statement after the signing of Malik, miss on Vernon).

Quote:With Clay Harbor gone, a backup move TE spot behind Thomas is open. I think they move Sterling to TE and give him a shot there.

With Jackson and Marks now in front of Bennett, his future is questionable in Jax. He was getting some playing time last year and was developing, but he may not gt the shot....possible trade bait?

I just don't think Koyack is looking at more than a return to the practice squad.

Bowanko is another late round draft pick that I think will be a "sink or swim" camp for him.

Sterling was drafted to be converted to TE. He'll be the third TE unless we draft someone better.
That 3T Big End rotation is getting pretty crowded.

It might be Bennett or Alualu. Personally I kind of liked Bennett last year, I thought he did ok in the run game.
What happened to clay harbor?
Quote:What happened to clay harbor?

He's a free agent.
I think Bennett is safe. Coaching staff loves him.

Alualu is as good as gone imo.
Quote:I think Bennett is safe. Coaching staff loves him.

yes, Alu is gone way before Bennett.  Alu is not only at a position that is starting to get crowded but he is overpaid at that
I really hope Bennett can become a star for us and look forward to him this season
Quote:I think Bennett is safe. Coaching staff loves him.

I was thinking it'll come down to one spot between Bennett and Alualu, and in this fight Bennett's youth should give him a bit of an edge.

I see Sterling winning a role as their 6th WR who might also play a little TE... sort of a 6th WR/4th TE. The 3rd TE appears to be a fight between Nic Jacobs and Koyack.

I think Bennett would beat out Alualu with Jacobs over Koyack
Nic Jacobs was a great pick up