Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jaguars still have most money in NFL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ryan said Jaguars still have 60,000,000 in cap room.

Topic should read. Jaguars still have most Cap Space in NFL.

Though Khan is a very rich man.
That's pretty sweet! I imagine that some contracts may be re-worked before the end of the season to move some of that money forward. That's how to stay out of salary cap hell.

Quote:That's pretty sweet! I imagine that some contracts may be re-worked before the end of the season to move some of that money forward. That's how to stay out of salary cap hell.

I dont think that'll be an issue.
Actually not true, Ryan O's tweet was before Beachum had officially signed. It should be 54.5 mil now which puts us in 2nd behind the 49ers as of this moment. 

We can still do whatever we want obviously. 

We are currently reaping the benefit of Gene Smith selecting ZERO (0) players that were deemed good enough to lock into a high paying, long term contract.

Thanks Gene

A bunch of 1st rd picks not panning out so to pay them like that.

We sign the most free agents and the 2ns biggest contract in free agency 2016 and we still kings o'da hill? Very nice! Means we can keep our core guys for a long time.
Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Linder, Telvin will all put quite a dent into that lush cap space.
Quote:Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Linder, Telvin will all put quite a dent into that lush cap space.

Yeah; but that's okay. Teams like the Patriots or the Broncos, who draft well, have to let players like Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, and Chandler Jones go to maintain cap health. We have a clean slate where we can sign all of our developed picks. That won't last, obviously, especially if we become consistent winners. But, we can bask in the goodness today.
Quote:We are currently reaping the benefit of Gene Smith selecting ZERO (0) players that were deemed good enough to lock into a high paying, long term contract.

Thanks Gene

The best thing Gene very did for this team lol
Quote:The best thing Gene very did for this team lol

Well Idk.. The mad scout did ever so diabolically draft the likes of Scotty McGee, Larry Hart and Chris Prosinski. And Jeris Pendleton. And Jarret Dillard. And Tiquan Underwear. And D'Anthony Smith. and... Soooo...
Quote:Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Linder, Telvin will all put quite a dent into that lush cap space.
The bigger the hit we take this year, the more space we have to work with the next few years.

We can stay a major player in upcoming free agencies.
Quote:The bigger the hit we take this year, the more space we have to work with the next few years.

We can stay a major player in upcoming free agencies.
Nah this isn't true. Right now I believe 15 of our top 19 cap hits were FA acquisitions, and the probably not long for this team Joeckel and Marcedes are two of the other 4 along with Bortles and Fowler. 

That number needs to basically be the exact opposite going forward if we are to build a sustainable, long term winning product. 
The reality is we have to continue finding impact players in the draft no matter what.

The Jaguars will have to resign the players they have developed including Blake Bortles.  You never want to waste money, didn't we learn from the Coughlin era?

That being said this probably has more to do with people being upset about Olivier Vernon

Quote:Nah this isn't true. Right now I believe 15 of our top 19 cap hits were FA acquisitions, and the probably not long for this team Joeckel and Marcedes are two of the other 4 along with Bortles and Fowler. 

That number needs to basically be the exact opposite going forward if we are to build a sustainable, long term winning product. 
The biggest contract this team will have is Bortles and we can use this cap space to take up a huge chunk of his guaranteed money which will free up space on future caps.

Any future contracts that we use this year's cap space on will free up space in future years.
Quote:We are currently reaping the benefit of Gene Smith selecting ZERO (0) players that were deemed good enough to lock into a high paying, long term contract.

Thanks Gene
Do we know what Smith is doing these days???   
I heard he put his head in a hole and hasn't surfaced yet.

Quote:Do we know what Smith is doing these days???   
Last I heard, he was being considered for a role in the Jets front office. This was about a year ago and I don't think they hired him, so he might still be unemployed.