Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Can We Dub the '14 Draft Class Our Best Ever Yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. Bortles

2. Allen Robinson

3. Telvin Smith

4. Brandon Linder

5. Aaron Colvin

Any draft class topping this one?
Don't forget Marqise Lee, and I'd add Allen Hurns in there too. He is part of that draft class in my eyes.

Before 2014, I was partial to their first two drafts. In the first four rounds they drafted Boselli, James Stewart, T Brian DeMarco, Bryan Schwartz (aka SCHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRTTSS!!!!), Hudson, Rob Johnson and DT Mike Thompson. In year two the first four rounds saw Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, C Michael Cheever, Aaron Beasley (aka BEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSLLLLEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!!) and KR/PR Reggie Barlow. Since then, the Jaguars haven't truly had a draft worth mentioning until 2014.

The first 4 from 2014 could all be probowlers.Drafting 4-5 potential probowlers is outstanding.

I agree with Jags02. And it's SCARY to think that. It's been since I was basically seven/eight years old as a boy to finally be able to say we've had a draft worth a lick nearly twenty years later. OUCH!

But, we'll see. Only time can truly tell. If Bortles and Robinson continue to hook-up and produce the numbers we've seen over the last two years. I think just on those two selections alone you can say it's our best draft class. ESPECIALLY if Lee can manage to stay heatlhy and start putting up the numbers we know he's capable of putting up. We basically pulled a Bengals move except in reverse. We took our QB first and WR second in the same year. Same as the way they pulled of A.J Green and Andy Dalton. It's rare you see that happen in one class. I think maybe Dallas did it last? Can't remember if Jimmy Johnson landed Irvin and Aikman in the same year. I might be off. Not familiar with that.

But for sure. 2014 is the best class we've had in nearly two decades overall. We landed three impact players/starters in Bortles, Robinson and Linder. Lee and Colvin who have potential to be better. And then if you include Hurns in that same class. That's one heck of a year for this franchise just in gaining raw/rookie talent.

I think both of the Jaguars drafts that 02 mentioned are better. Right now anyway.

Smith, Linder, and Colvin still have to take another step. They have the potential to, hopefully their progress continues.

The only stiff was Storm Johnson who was cut after one season. 

The 2014 draft class, including Hurns, certainly has the potential to be the best Jaguars draft class ever.

But until that class develops into consistent winners and takes us deep into the playoffs for multiple seasons, I can't make that definitive determination.

But they are headed in the right direction.

If Lee can play up to his round 2 billing, this will be the best draft class
Just about every player from that draft are our best players. If you started watching the Jags in the last 10-12 years, this is the best draft we've ever had by a LOOOONG shot. Whether it's better than drafts from 2 decades ago, who knows, but they hit on just about every player and it has already produced a pro-bower and potentially a few more. Stark contrast to the poor 2013 draft.

To me it is. Blake and A Rob make it a super success. Linder, Telvin and Colvin make it the best because you added 3 quality starters to the team after the second round. If Lee plays anything close to A Rob then id say id doubt we see anything like this in franchise history again.

Six starting caliber players in one draft is just ridiculous. Adding Hurns just makes it more stupid lol.
Until the win column is higher than the loss, it's just another class
Quote:Before 2014, I was partial to their first two drafts. In the first four rounds they drafted Boselli, James Stewart, T Brian DeMarco, Bryan Schwartz (aka SCHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRTTSS!!!!), Hudson, Rob Johnson and DT Mike Thompson. In year two the first four rounds saw Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, C Michael Cheever, Aaron Beasley (aka BEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSLLLLEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!!) and KR/PR Reggie Barlow. Since then, the Jaguars haven't truly had a draft worth mentioning until 2014.
The Jags traded a lower round pick for Brunell as well. Draft pick for player should probably count, no?
Quote:The Jags traded a lower round pick for Brunell as well. Draft pick for player should probably count, no?
To me, yes that should count.
Quote:Until the win column is higher than the loss, it's just another class

I was going to say this. Have to win a few more than five games in a season to declare anything the best ever.
Quote:Before 2014, I was partial to their first two drafts. In the first four rounds they drafted Boselli, James Stewart, T Brian DeMarco, Bryan Schwartz (aka SCHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRTTSS!!!!), Hudson, Rob Johnson and DT Mike Thompson. In year two the first four rounds saw Kevin Hardy, Tony Brackens, C Michael Cheever, Aaron Beasley (aka BEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSLLLLEEEEEEEEYYYY!!!!) and KR/PR Reggie Barlow. Since then, the Jaguars haven't truly had a draft worth mentioning until 2014.
What disappoints me about that 1995 draft is we got basically nothing out of the 2nd and 3rd round picks in that draft despite it being an expansion team.  But landing Boselli Brunell and Johnson certainly make up for it.

As for subsequent drafts, I thought 2001 (Stroud, Mo Williams), 2003 (BL, Rashean, Manuwai, Toefield, Wrighster), and 2006 (ML, MJD) were decent.
Quote:What disappoints me about that 1995 draft is we got basically nothing out of the 2nd and 3rd round picks in that draft despite it being an expansion team.  But landing Boselli Brunell and Johnson certainly make up for it.

As for subsequent drafts, I thought 2001 (Stroud, Mo Williams), 2003 (BL, Rashean, Manuwai, Toefield, Wrighster), and 2006 (ML, MJD) were decent.

You'd put the 2006 draft over the 1998 draft (Taylor, Darius and Banks)?
Quote:What disappoints me about that 1995 draft is we got basically nothing out of the 2nd and 3rd round picks in that draft despite it being an expansion team.  But landing Boselli Brunell and Johnson certainly make up for it.

The 2004 draft is the next best. We missed on Reggie Williams but got Daryl Smith, Greg Jones, Wilford, Scobee, and McCray.

Right now I'm willing to put the 2014 draft as the Jags #1. If the players continue to develop then it's one of the top 20 drafts in NFL history. But (you knew a but was coming) we were very high on the 2009 draft after the 2010 season.

Quote:1. Bortles

2. Allen Robinson

3. Telvin Smith

4. Brandon Linder

5. Aaron Colvin

Any draft class topping this one?

I'm a "potential" type of guy so I'm going to have to stick with the 2010 Draft Class.  
  • Round One- DT Tyson Alualu
  • Round Three- DT D’Anthony Smith
  • Round Five- DE Larry Hart
  • Round Five- DE Austen Lane
  • Round Six- RB Deji Karim
  • Round Six- KR Scotty McGee
Quote:The 2004 draft is the next best. We missed on Reggie Williams
but got Daryl Smith, Greg Jones, Wilford, Scobee, and McCray.

Right now I'm willing to put the 2014 draft as the Jags #1. If the players continue to develop then it's one of the top 20 drafts in NFL history. But (you knew a but was coming) we were very high on the 2009 draft after the 2010 season.

This is depressing.

We selected Reggie right before Big Ben was selected.  The reason that move was made was because the prior year we selected Leftwich 1 pick before the Ravens selected Terrell Suggs.

Apparently JDR wanted Suggs and Shack Harris wanted Leftwich.  Had we taken Suggs, there's a good chance we would have selected Big Ben the following year.

Sick
Pages: 1 2