Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Extend Allen Hurns' Contract Now Or Wait?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Straightforward question and poll (pole). Have at it.

Now. Because it makes most sense for the cap down the road to front load him now.  Sullivan raves about his work ethic.  He'll continue to hustle. 

He has well outplayed an undrafted contract, and it is smart to sign him to a friendly deal now (as opposed to rely on tags and free agency risks later).  It would also have a positive benefit to get it done before the draft, showing agents representing undrafted players that the Jags are the place to sign.

If you were to extend it now it would be cheaper and better for the long term if he performs and gets better. Even if Dave wanted to extend him now I bet Hurns would bet on himself to finish his contract to get a much better contract. 

The sooner the cheaper i.e Derek Wolfe

Quote:If you were to extend it now it would be cheaper and better for the long term if he performs and gets better. Even if Dave wanted to extend him now I bet Hurns would bet on himself to finish his contract to get a much better contract. 
For most players (and their agents), the risk of injury and not seeing some negotiating period in the future with performance/health on their side is real.  With the salary cap expected to continue to increase going forward, what is expensive for a WR today will be cheaper than what you must commit to a WR in a future negotiation.  If you offer money now, it likely is a win-win for both player and team.    
Sign him now.. It's a good move for this team to show players they will be rewarded and taken care when they play for it. Plus he's seriously earned it and if he signs now he's a year younger on the next contract. 

DC has said they will probably look into doing it after the draft.

front loading it now is good for us, and him.  win win
Hypothetically speaking, couldn't the Jags let him play out this year. Then he would qualify as a restricted free agent next off season. Sign him to an offer sheet, making him still relatively cheap for 2 full seasons.

I may be wrong, but this might be what they are thinking.

PS if y'all are wondering who voted no. That was I. I took it as what I think they are going to do, not as I would. 

Now would make sense, and I think it gets done that way

Quote:DC has said they will probably look into doing it after the draft.
That's good news then
In the words of Arnold : "Do it nowwww!"
I voted wait, but now I feel like a jerk, so do it now.

I voted wait. With the mindset of keep them hungry. If he balls out similarly  again this year then the team will have to pay the premium. I would not be opposed to what ever the team does. He is a professional in every way and a tough son a a gun on top of it.
Given that this was a multi-option poll, I condemn anyone who did not choose at least one of "Blank #2" and "Corn" to go along with their actual response. I hope Gene Smith picks your kid's little league team this year.

Sign him sooner rather than later. Lots of cap room to eat up, excellent young talent with a world of upside, do it. Just recognize when signing him that the floor for A-Rob's deal next offseason will be significantly higher than what Hurns is paid this offseason.

I vote corn.

People that get paid way more than I do and make these kinds of decisions know an awful lot more and know what to do than I do.  I would lean towards waiting and see how the draft and this next season pans out.

As I try to live my life... "just because you have some money doesn't mean that you need to spend it".  The time will come when and/or if certain players deserve a big payday, and by the same token, those players could also provide valuable draft picks and/or money in a trade deal in the future.

Do it now. Plenty of cap space
Doing it now will help us when it comes time for ARob,BB,Telvin,Colvin,Linder etc etc
I've said all along that they should go ahead and get his deal out of the way now because I don't think they want to have to deal with re-signing Bortles, Robinson, and Hurns in the same off season.  They can give him a deal that is very much worthy of his production now and that's one less thing to worry about.

Pages: 1 2 3