Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: AFCS to Breakout in 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Adam Schein breaks down why the AFCS will exceed win totals comprehensively over last season. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-i-mean-it

On the Jags:

Quote:Forget the money: It's all nuts. But the Jags had a lot of it, and they put it to use in a genuine effort to get better.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">The signing of Malik Jackson
 was brilliant. He's a stud, and arguably was the second-best 
Broncos
defender (behind 
Super Bowl
 MVP 
Von Miller
) down the stretch of the season and in the playoffs. He's a game changer on the defensive front.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Prince Amukamara
 was solid in New York, not spectacular. But playing on 
a one-year, prove-it deal in Jacksonville
, the 26-year-old former first-rounder will be highly motivated to prove his worth. And he wasn't the only improvement the 
Jaguars
 made to their secondary: Safety 
Tashaun Gipson
, who's part of the exodus from Cleveland, gives Jacksonville a ball-hawking safety who's one season removed from the 
Pro Bowl
 and still just 25 years old.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Now, Gus Bradley needs 
Dante Fowler
 -- last year's No. 3 overall pick who missed the entire season after suffering a torn ACL in rookie minicamp -- to come back and live up to his lofty potential. Bradley has to have an impact edge rusher to really solidify his defense.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Chris Ivory's contract is bonkers
, but, again, forget about the money; I like the fit, even though I did 
list him as a risky free agent earlier this month
. And that's because the 
Jaguars
 aren't asking him to be the dominant and featured back -- after all, they already have 
T.J. Yeldon
. That's huge. When right, Ivory is a great blend of power and speed. His issues always have been health-related. I bet Ivory thrives in a role where he's getting 10-to-15 carries a game.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Allen Robinson
 blossomed into a bona fide star this past season with 80 catches for 1,400 yards and an NFL-high 14 touchdowns. 
Blake Bortles
 (4,428 passing yards with 35 TDs against 18 INTs) took a huge step forward. The 
Jaguars
 have a players. Now, the pressure is on my guy Gus Bradley.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">It's nice to see 
the patience owner Shahid Khan has exhibited with Bradley
 and general manager David Caldwell. But this is a results-oriented business. And now they have to start winning. And playing football in January.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Eight wins should be the goal, at minimum

Sounds about right to me. 

Quote:Adam Schein breaks down why the AFCS will exceed win totals comprehensively over last season. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-i-mean-it

On the Jags:

Sounds about right to me. 
The thing is, I don't think any of the people on this board who have preached patience for Bradley have argued he should get the infinite benefit of the doubt.

Most have indicated this is the year the team needs to legitimately contend for the playoffs and have a winning record.
Quote:The thing is, I don't think any of the people on this board who have preached patience for Bradley have argued he should get the infinite benefit of the doubt.

Most have indicated this is the year the team needs to legitimately contend for the playoffs and have a winning record.

That's been my stance.

(although I've said .500 opposed to 'winning record')

It's definitely time, and enough talent has been collected.  The defense still has a way to go talent-wise, but there's enough in place to start seeing results. 

Wash will need to follow through on his promise of more detail and fewer errors.  If he does - the offense should give him a little cushion to work with.  So, they don't have to be perfect on defense. Just moderately better. 

Playoffs or bust.
As it relates to the Jaguars, a winning season is going to be a must.  I don't think .500 will be acceptable, and anything less than that means new coaching staff..... again.

Regarding the division as a whole, it's going to be competitive.  Those that think that Houston and Tennessee are going to be pushovers need to re-evaluate their line of thinking.  Both teams are getting better and the Colts, while on a downhill slide will still be a tough match.

Quote:As it relates to the Jaguars, a winning season is going to be a must.  I don't think .500 will be acceptable, and anything less than that means new coaching staff..... again.

Regarding the division as a whole, it's going to be competitive.  Those that think that Houston and Tennessee are going to be pushovers need to re-evaluate their line of thinking.  Both teams are getting better and the Colts, while on a downhill slide will still be a tough match.
I agree with this. It's time for a winning season and 9-7 seems reasonable. It's time and the talent is there to win. 
Even if we do get a new coaching staff, it'll be an instant change for the better. It won't take a couple seasons for everyone to "gel" again. Hopefully Bradley proves us all wrong and turns our defense into a feared power-house, but until then, I still think we finish 8-8 or 9-7. I don't think people understand how much talent we actually have, and it's pro-bowl level talent. If Bradley can't get this team to the playoffs, something is very very very wrong. 

Look at the roster, how do you NOT succeed?

Malik Jackson

Telvin Smith

Paul Poz

Tashaun Gipson

Sen'Derrick Marks

Roy Miller III

Prince Amukamara

Davon House

Aaron Colvin

Dante Fowler Jr. (hopefully)

Jalen Ramsey/Myles Jack/VH3 (soon to be)

Not to mention our offense

Blake Bortles

Allen Robinson

Allen Hurns

Marqise Lee

Rashad Greene

Julius Thomas

Brandon Linder

Kelvin Beachum

Jeremy Parnell

AJ Cann

TJ Yeldon

Chris Ivory

Our core (Bortles, Arob, Hurns, Linder, Smith, etc) is maturing along with J Thomas, Jackson, Gipson, Prince, Marks (returning from injury) this team should make a giant leap forward. What's that mean in terms of wins? I think 9-7 is the most realistic as this team still lacks talent on defense and pass rush is a ?. 

I would guess 7-9 is the floor with 10-6 being the ceiling. 
Quote:It won't take a couple seasons for everyone to "gel" again.

That's kinda what happens when you overhaul systems underneath the players.
The Colts haven't done much but every other team in the AFC South has improved greatly in the off season & last season...

Quote:That's kinda what happens when you overhaul systems underneath the players.
Yeah, cause that's what happened with the Broncos. Amirite?