Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hats off to a fun Free Agency! Go Jags!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I for one have been a fan since year one. And have not been as excited since Coughlin Days.

We got great players all through Free Agency. And have to give credit where it is do. Dave and Gus are bringing in guys who can compete. And challenge for starter jobs.

I also love the fact the guys are young and can play out their contracts. And I was not a fan of 30 years old or older.

This team is really assending and the draft hasn't even happened yet. Dave was aggressive and landed key players.

And that is exciting. Where as gene would of snoozed day one.

Go jags! Here is to a great draft! Great time to be a Jaguars fan!
I too like  this Free Agency for the Jags.  They got 3 A-List FA's with Jackson, Gipson, and Ivory.  I know some people were hoping for Vernon and Irwin as well but there a lot of teams with cap space and over paying for a Player(s) is going to come back haunt a team.  Look at the Dolphins.  I want to see who the Jags draft and then see how plays out this year before deciding in 2017 what are the final pieces they need to be a great team. 

Caldwell did as well as he could with free agency. We still could use a veteran pass rusher to come in and rotate with Fowler.

He filled one of the biggest holes on the roster (FS, Gipson). We needed another playmaker on the defensive line, and adding Jackson gives us our Michael Bennett. Amukamara gives us depth, keeps Gratz off the field, and hopefully, plays out of his mind and earns a long term deal with us. We needed physicality in the running game, and we got one of the most violent runners in the NFL. Ivory is probably my favorite acquisition. We just need a center or left guard, and I think we will be able to run the ball effectively, which only helps Bortles.
Quote:I for one have been a fan since year one. And have not been as excited since Coughlin Days.

January 5, 2008  -- Jags beat Steelers 31-29 in the playoffs

Jaguars trade up to get Derrick Harvey with the #8 pick and then select The Q Quentin Groves in round 2.

To me, that was the most exciting time since the Coughlin days.  Little did we know that was the beginning of the end.
I am really excited for this draft. The Jags have set themselves up pretty nicely. They can truly draft BAP now, and also have the flexibility to swing some draft deals that can really help down the road too. That's where they really could propel themselves up to one of the elites of the league. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see a lot of wheeling and dealing from the Jags come draft day. They have the flexibility to do that moreso now than at any other time in Caldwell's tenure. Then again, maybe they don't make a single move and draft a bunch more studs that will help this team for the next decade.

Either way, it's going to be a lot of fun to see. Good things are happening in Jacksonville! Banana

Experienced younger FA's that, I think..... realize there's something happening here.

Dedicated owner, very decent staff and a beautiful facility.

Not to mention a great fanbase.

DUVAL!!  :thumbsup:

looking like the best (on paper) we ever had. lets hope it translates !

One can only like all of the above mentioned. Alot of good stuff going on for a team which record for the past 5 yrs reflect that of a downer type organization

(Cinci, Detroit, Tampa Bay and Seahawks of the mid nineties)

Fans can truly be most excited to look forward to the season. Even before the draft.
With the talent the Jags have racked up via free agency and the draft still to come. If the Jags have another 5-11 season, does Gus get the boot?
Quote:With the talent the Jags have racked up via free agency and the draft still to come. If the Jags have another 5-11 season, does Gus get the boot?
He better because this team is to talented to be underachievers
If this team ends up 5-11, Gus will be the first one let go. :yes:

Quote:With the talent the Jags have racked up via free agency and the draft still to come. If the Jags have another 5-11 season, does Gus get the boot?
Is that a serious question? Like... Do you honestly not know?
Exactly. But I think if can generate some sort of average passrush. Should easily win at least 6 games.
My biggest concerns for a few years was;

#1.) Free Safety - I wasn't happy with Sergio Brown (at the moment of signing but I feel good about Gipson being the safety that they wanted for that scheme.  Check!

#2.) Pass Rush - Jackson seems to me to be like another Marks that Denver simply had as a DE, not sure if he'll play LEO, LE, DT or having him all over the place either way many don't feel the pass rush was fixed.  Better but average overall DL.

#3.) Cornerback - Prince Amukamara was a nice pickup to go along with House but I wonder if Vernon will be #5 to make it an elite CB crew? Check!

#4.) Running Game - Chris Ivory is the Marshall Lynch kind of player that they had hoped TJ Yeldon would be.  Check!

#5.) OLine - They added depth but LT Luke is still a huge weakness along with Center being a big question mark.    Depth but still need more for OL.

The Jags have had a reputation as a place where f/a's can come, get over paid, and then 'take a vacation' until they either retire or move on to a better team! We acquire these veteran players who have played dynamically on their previous teams and pay them very well to come here and (hopefully) continue to do the same. The problem is that to lure these players to come to J'ville they have to be offered a very large amount of up front, guaranteed money with no performance clause included.

Given that type of contract, there is no impetuse for these 'star' veterans who come here to 'put out' so to speak. Why should they? They've got their money guaranteed if they play well or not. Play to make the fans happy??? Loyalty??? Love of the game???...not. It's about the money and not getting the 'merchandise' injured so it can play (and make more millions) for a long time.

High profile vets tend to take advantage of teams like the Jags because they know we're desperate to win... now. After so many years of being bottom dwellers, having a young and ambitious GM who wants to make a name for himself, a HC who's job is on the line, and a mega billionaire owner who isn't afraid to spend... we're prime targets to be taken advantage of by the mercenarie type f/a I've described.

It's happened before. Is it going to be the same old story again with these f/a's? We'll see.

Because these guys are not 30 plus. And want to reach the ultimate goal the HOF. And Jackson said he wants all his money. And Gibson wants a team where he feel belongs.

And Prince wants to be a starter. And Ivory wants to be the starter!
Jacksonville had a great free agency. I like there approach to fix the defense. I was, hoping they would get to that sooner last season, yet the improvements on offense has been very positive. Get a solid draft class and we have a shot at, beating Houston for the divison crown.

Add Kevin Beachum to the fold.

Impressive job by Caldwell and team. They targeted areas of distinct need and filled em without delay. Efficient, professional approach. Even the Sean Spence visit today is farsighted.

At 25, and having missed his first 2 years in the league due to injuries, Spence is essentially entering year 3 with size and pedigree. 5 11, 230, middle LB, the former 3rd rounder can be just what the doctors order as Poz' next-in-line.

Beachum was a low risk, potentially high reward pickup at a premium position. Ivory, Jackson, Gipson and Amukamara, all grade A established starters. It's been a well thought out and nicely executed class, without the fanfare of last year.
DewT....Jackson is going to play predominantly 3T....DT...same position as Marks.

Pages: 1 2