Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Best fit at center?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It looks like we're not getting a centre in FA now and the talk seems to be about moving a guard to centre, rather than drafting one. (And I don't think we'd want to bring in another rookie on the OL anyway).

But who is the best fit?

Linder and Cann have both impressed as guards and I think I'd want to keep them there, rather than try them in a new position (has either of them played centre before?)

Bowanko or Wiz would seem to be a more natural choice, but neither can be seen as the upgrade we need.

And Shatley is simply an unknown.

I'm not sure what the best move is, but all of them appear to be a (potentially costly) gamble.
Unless Cleveland signs him, they could re-sign Wisniewski if there is no better option on the horizon.  I'd be scouring the planet for someone better though.  He wouldn't be my first, or even 10th option unless he goes to snapping school and fixes that case of the yips he was dealing with last year.

You never know what's going to happen with free agency.  We may wind up landing a starting center late in the process as teams start to trim their rosters.  Or, we could find that guy in the draft who just fits what we're looking for.

I don't think the starting center is currently on the roster.  I think they want to let Linder and Cann be their long-term solution at guard.  I tend to doubt that Bowanko will ascend to the starting role again unless it's due to injury or sheer desperation. 

center?

I thought bowanko did pretty well his rookie year, I wanted to see more of him in his second year, especially toward the end of the year when wiz seemed to be going through his issues.

I don't know, it's just me, but I would be ok if wiz left and bo was the starter at center to begin the season.
Quote:center?

Haha, that'll be my European predictive text auto correcting center for me! (It does the same with defense and some other words..). I think you know what I'm talking about though.
Bowanko still has a shot, but being benched all year (and inactive in favor of Tyler Shatley more often than not) doesn't help his case. I wouldn't move Linder. He's too good at guard. I think Cann gets first shot at the job, but the eventual starter may not be on the team yet.

LOL Knew is was a UK bloke that wrote this one!

Call Meester? No more Wis, we need some push out of the position. 

Kelly or Martin?
I don't know but I'm tired of the interior of our o line being a sieve and not being able to run block. We need a good center but I'd settle for an average one.
Ryan Kelly from Bama is a bad man!!! but we may have to trade back into the first to get him.

Quote:Ryan Kelly from Bama is a bad man!!! but we may have to trade back into the first to get him.

Agree. If we could add both bama boys. Ragland and Kelly we would be sitting nice
I wonder about Bowanko.  He's big, athletic, intelligent and now in his 3rd year.  He has shown the ability to get downfield and make a big block in the run game.  He lost a close battle with Wiz and they chose Wiz partly because of his familiarity with the offense being installed.  That shouldn't be an issue now.  Time for Bowanko to make his move. 

Quote:I wonder about Bowanko. He's big, athletic, intelligent and now in his 3rd year. He has shown the ability to get downfield and make a big block in the run game. He lost a close battle with Wiz and they chose Wiz partly because of his familiarity with the offense being installed. That shouldn't be an issue now. Time for Bowanko to make his move.

Wiz is a better blocker.
A lot of people might disagree with me, but I am still thinking the best course of action could be to move Linder or Cann to Center and draft a guard.   It is so much easier to find a guard in the draft, and there will be many options in the 3rd round.  

As for re-hiring Wiz, I don't see how we improve our offensive line if we have the same guys as last year.   I mean, do we really want to leave the same 5 guys in place?  

Quote:I mean, do we really want to leave the same 5 guys in place?

Linder was hurt.

Beadles was cut..

And we will probably have a new Center.

Only our tackles will be the same.
Quote:A lot of people might disagree with me, but I am still thinking the best course of action could be to move Linder or Cann to Center and draft a guard. It is so much easier to find a guard in the draft, and there will be many options in the 3rd round.

As for re-hiring Wiz, I don't see how we improve our offensive line if we have the same guys as last year. I mean, do we really want to leave the same 5 guys in place?
I don't want Wiz to be the center either, I'll take Dave at his word when he said he thinks Linder could be a great Center and then maybe this new guy they're talking to today can be a guard.
Quote:I thought bowanko did pretty well his rookie year, I wanted to see more of him in his second year, especially toward the end of the year when wiz seemed to be going through his issues.

I don't know, it's just me, but I would be ok if wiz left and bo was the starter at center to begin the season.

Agree.  Don't think Bo was ready his rookie season... few are.  But I'd like to think he's ready by now.  Good size, smart... what you want in a C.  I believe we've got the players to choose from even if Wiz leaves, and not be any worse off for it.
They will probably draft <b>Graham Glasgow, C, Michigan in the fourth round.</b>