Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: "Yeldon and Ivory to split carries"...but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think they will go with the hot hand. It's a good move to bring Ivory here. If Ivory outshines Yeldon, he will deserve the nod for starter. And you don't pay someone over 5 million a year to outshine your starter and play 2nd fiddle. I see it as a competition (unspoken), which is a good thing. Management will never say that out loud though.
Ivory is not coming here to be the starter. He's a situational guy who can complement Yeldon and start if he's injured.

Quote:I think they will go with the hot hand. It's a good move to bring Ivory here. If Ivory outshines Yeldon, he will deserve the nod for starter. And you don't pay someone over 5 million a year to outshine your starter and play 2nd fiddle. I see it as a competition (unspoken), which is a good thing. Management will never say that out loud though.

I agree with you, but I don't think it's like a big secret or anything.   Most teams do this. 
Basically it's a "not a huge drop off" of one gets injured like what happened when yeldon went down last year.
Yeldon will be probably the starter but of course they'll split carries and that's a good thing.

The most significative thing Caldwell said about the running game was "We all saw when TJ went down with the injury how the running game ended up and all the troubles we had without him".

DRob definitely burned his opportunity and I think Gerhart won't be the only cut they'll make in the RB Group this year

I take Ivory like a closer or reliever in baseball.

Yeldon is the smooth, accurate and patient pitcher who does work for 7 innings. 

Then comes Ivory, the dude who throws 100mph fastballs and dares you to hit it.

Drob will stay because he's cheap insurance.
Quote:DRob definitely burned his opportunity and I think Gerhart won't be the only cut they'll make in the RB Group this year

I think d rob and Grant are competing for a single roster spot this off-season. What they both have is speed to burn which is the one thing ivory and yeldon haven't got

It will probably come down to who returns kicks best in camp
May the best man win the job.

Quote:I take Ivory like a closer or reliever in baseball.

Nice comparison.

Also if your starting pitcher struggles and gets pulled in the 3rd or 4th inning, someone is there to take over.
Quote:I think d rob and Grant are competing for a single roster spot this off-season. What they both have is speed to burn which is the one thing ivory and yeldon haven't got

It will probably come down to who returns kicks best in camp

I think they both stay, that's only 4 'backs on the roster.
Quote:I take Ivory like a closer or reliever in baseball.

This is extremely accurate.
Maybe we won't have to rely on blakes arm as much this year. Hopefully due to this two headed monster and an improved defense!
Quote:Maybe we won't have to rely on blakes arm as much this year. Hopefully due to this two headed monster and an improved defense!
I'm almost positive that has something to do with it. Gus has always wanted to be a run first team. Blake and Arob are going to take fantasy hits I think but if it results in more wins, I am all for it.
I like 'em both. Situation and opposing scheme will initially dictate which guy totes the rock, but one may distinguish himself the clearly better option at some point. The fresh legs will be huge late in close games.

Wish we had that situation at several other positions.
So our problem is : we have two good RB's.

I like this kind of problem.

Here's the deal. Our O-line is absolutely atrocious. No if ands or buts about it. Yeldon is a shifty back who creates his own holes, very similar to Leveon Bell. Problem is he isn't a banger, and its a problem when the O-line is this bad. You risk a lot of unnecessary abuse and future injuries. So, you go out and get a guy who can handle the abuse-Chris Ivory. You don't wanna drive your brand new shiny car on an unpaved road. You bring out the 4x4 and go to town. I fully expect the O-line to be the #1 priority next FA/draft period. 

With the money shelled out for Ivory, its hard to not see him as the starter day 1. I dont think that means much though as both will split carries on gameday, and I agree, the hot hand will get the most carries. Ivory is not an every down back, he had a great season last year, but he wore down as the season went on. During the first 10 games, he was tearing it up, but he did wear down. He needs a compliment for him and to take the load off his back every once in a while. 

I would not be surprised if Ivory started as our main RB, but as the season goes on, Yeldon gets more carries. 

On an interview played on 1010xl shortly ago, Ivory indicated he was told he was being brought in to compete.  Assuming he meant 'compete' as for a starting role.  He wasn't told he was being brought here for limited role only.  I think we'll see a rotation, with some specialization for Ivory in short yardage and Yeldon in 3rd and long situations.  Ivory is not good in pass protection, whereas Yeldon is pretty good.  

The only downside to signing Ivory is what it'll do to your fantasy team if you were banking on Yeldon to be the bell cow back.

Pages: 1 2 3