Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The thing about the draft.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
These guys are who we're paying big FA money for....

So tell me again, do you really need to draft high to be successful in the NFL?

or just draft lucky/smart?

Tashuan Gipson UDFA 2012 - today 5 year 35.5 million 12 million guaranteed

Brad Nortman -  6th round 2012 - yep same year as B. Anger

Chris Ivory - UDFA 2010 - today 5 year - 32.5 million 

Malik Jackson = 5th round 2012 - today 6 year 90 million - 42 million guaranteed

Of course drafts are a crap-shoot....but also, think about UDFA Hurns....what will it take to keep him next year?

That's the train that's coming. We've enjoyed finding some lower cost guys, but when they're successful......they will cost you money to keep.

Next year should be a humdinger though!  :woot:  :woot:
Quote:These guys are who we're paying big FA money for....

So tell me again, do you really need to draft high to be successful in the NFL?

or just draft lucky/smart?

Tashuan Gipson UDFA 2012 - today 5 year 35.5 million 12 million guaranteed

Brad Nortman -  6th round 2012 - yep same year as B. Anger

Chris Ivory - UDFA 2010 - today 5 year - 32.5 million 

Malik Jackson = 5th round 2012 - today 6 year 90 million - 42 million guaranteed

Of course drafts are a crap-shoot....but also, think about UDFA Hurns....what will it take to keep him next year?

That's the train that's coming. We've enjoyed finding some lower cost guys, but when they're successful......they will cost you money to keep.

Next year should be a humdinger though!  :woot:  :woot:
They're not out there spending like drunken sailors because they anticipate keeping these guys together.  Caldwell has made it clear they have big contract talks coming that they will be using some of this money they've been sitting on the past couple of years. 

It really wouldn't surprise me to see Hurns get a deal sooner rather than later just to get that one out of the way because they can.

You don't need to draft early all the time as proven by the Patriots... You need the ability to find talent that works for your system, plays and development... install a good coaching program and stay consistent with it. 

The process has worked so well for the Jags so far it almost funny. They have picked top 5 for 4 years now including the upcoming draft under Bradley... Its almost as if it was on purpose... after free agency and the draft this year we are most likely gonna see a Jaguars team like never before.. not just a playoff competitor but a championship caliber team for many years to come and as long as they stay the course and sign players smartly, I don't see the Jags being bumped off the division champs for a long time. 
Quote:You don't need to draft early all the time as proven by the Patriots... You need the ability to find talent that works for your system, plays and development... install a good coaching program and stay consistent with it. 

The process has worked so well for the Jags so far it almost funny. They have picked top 5 for 4 years now including the upcoming draft under Bradley... Its almost as if it was on purpose... after free agency and the draft this year we are most likely gonna see a Jaguars team like never before.. not just a playoff competitor but a championship caliber team for many years to come and as long as they stay the course and sign players smartly, I don't see the Jags being bumped off the division champs for a long time. 
Agreed.  I think the plan all along has brought us to this point.  The free agency moves this year were far more aggressive, but with purpose.  I think that when the team takes the field this fall, it's going to be a very different vibe from what we've seen.  Hopefully the coaching will get out of the way and allow the talent to thrive. 
Sigh......a man can dream can't he. Still might want to simmer down a little until the team actually proves it.
Life is pain.

I would bet Hurns gets a deal before OTAs kick off
Usually undrafted guys don't become true free agents right? Wouldn't he be a restricted free agent at the end of next year?

I would favor rewarding him for his play now, but I don't think it is possible for the team to lose him anytime soon unless they want to.
Quote:Usually undrafted guys don't become true free agents right? Wouldn't he be a restricted free agent at the end of next year?

I would favor rewarding him for his play now, but I don't think it is possible for the team to lose him anytime soon unless they want to.

I think you are right.   He's played 2 years, and we have him for 4 years.   4th year is some kind of restricted FA, but pretty easy to retain him. 

The reason I would give him a contract now is that since he gets paid sooner, he will take less money.   It's a win-win situation. 
The whole rebuilding plan is becoming more and more clear.   It was painful to live through the last few years with the roster torn down, but now it is very clear how well-thought-out the plan was.   Releasing veterans in year one allowed them to build up all sorts of cap room which could be carried over and finally used to re-sign their star players in years 4 and 5.   It's very logical, disciplined long term thinking.    Successful teams lose players all the time because of lack of cap space.   Apparently we assumed we would draft some star players and have to re-sign them later, so we built up the cap space to do it.  This is the plan that Dave Caldwell must have sold Shad Khan when he first applied for the job.  

It's tough for the fans to live through a long term plan like this, but at this point, the whole thing is becoming very clear to me and to anyone with any logical analytical ability at all.   Aha!  Now it's clear why they tore the roster down to the studs when they started.   It has to do with having the cap space to re-sign all those star players we drafted after that. 

This is disciplined, long term thinking.   It has required us to endure some pain in the process.  

Quote:The whole rebuilding plan is becoming more and more clear.   It was painful to live through the last few years with the roster torn down, but now it is very clear how well-thought-out the plan was.   Releasing veterans in year one allowed them to build up all sorts of cap room which could be carried over and finally used to re-sign their star players in years 4 and 5.   It's very logical, disciplined long term thinking.    Successful teams lose players all the time because of lack of cap space.   Apparently we assumed we would draft some star players and have to re-sign them later, so we built up the cap space to do it.  This is the plan that Dave Caldwell must have sold Shad Khan when he first applied for the job.  

It's tough for the fans to live through a long term plan like this, but at this point, the whole thing is becoming very clear to me and to anyone with any logical analytical ability at all.   Aha!  Now it's clear why they tore the roster down to the studs when they started.   It has to do with having the cap space to re-sign all those star players we drafted after that. 

This is disciplined, long term thinking.   It has required us to endure some pain in the process.  

I will say it really is hard as a fan when the W column doesn't get better through the first 3 years. However I've been stating ever since Bortles threw his first of 30+ TDs last year, This team is poised to make a huge sharp incline at any point. Once they get over the hump, Its gonna be magical. 

As for Caldwell, He's been perfect outside of his arrogance. He realized the most important thing was getting an offense. At that same time, He neglected the defense but thought ahead enough to secure Fowler when he knew his defense was about to fall apart due to lack of pressure. Its going to align in the most beautiful of ways this season I think. I truly do believe Bosa is now back on his radar after failing to get an outside rusher in free agency. Bosa vs. Ramsey is going to be a really hard decision.