Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Hats off to Marcedes Lewis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Lewis is a guy who has taken a lot of criticism from fans over the years, much of it justified.  For many, he is a reminder of a bygone and unpopular Shack era.  Despite his one pro bowl season, he is the Jaguar embodiment of untapped potential.

But in a time of year where many Jaguars fans still wonder whether a player would want to play in our little old market, Lewis had the idea of playing his entire career with one team, even though that team is based here in Jacksonville, playing in front of Jaguars fans.  Even though our team has been bad for the bulk of his time here.  He and the team showed loyalty in a sport and era where there is little, if any, to go around.

I think he will always be a relatively unpopular player here.  He isn't going to be the subject of Pride induction chatter here.

But he wants to be a Jaguar for over a decade...for his entire career...for life, and did what it took to make that happen.  Some of the most revered players in our history can't make that claim including every one inducted into the Pride.

I, for one, respect and appreciate that.

Preeeeech
Agree.  Much respect.

We made more of a blocker out of him, and he did everything we asked from him without complaint.

I was surprised he didn't bolt for west coast regardless of the money, with all the time he spends there.

But, he chose to stay.

Quote:Lewis is a guy who has taken a lot of criticism from fans over the years, much of it justified. For many, he is a reminder of a bygone and unpopular Shack era. Despite his one pro bowl season, he is the Jaguar embodiment of untapped potential.

But in a time of year where many Jaguars fans still wonder whether a player would want to play in our little old market, Lewis had the idea of playing his entire career with one team, even though that team is based here in Jacksonville, playing in front of Jaguars fans. Even though our team has been bad for the bulk of his time here. He and the team showed loyalty in a sport and era where there is little, if any, to go around.

I think he will always be a relatively unpopular player here. He isn't going to be the subject of Pride induction chatter here.

But he wants to be a Jaguar for over a decade...for his entire career...for life, and did what it took to make that happen. Some of the most revered players in our history can't make that claim including every one inducted into the Pride.

I, for one, respect and appreciate that.

Considering he's mainly out in LA and the Rams wanted him to boot. He chose to finish. And I respect that.
Losers lose and winners win

Can't say that I agree. He was overpaid, no doubt, and I think that he knows this. He appreciates being with the team because he knows no other team will compensate him as well as we have. 

Stepped into this one.

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div> 

<div> 

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div>
<div>
<div> 
</div>
<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/MarcedesLewis89'>[Image: D0o8hDL8_bigger.jpeg]Marcedes Lewis <span>Verified account </span> ‏@<b>MarcedesLewis89</b> </a></div>
</div>

<p class="">Today I met up with my boy Stanley, to reflect a little bit. I expressed my desire to fini… <a class="" href='https://t.co/wcsNBOBgOG' title="http://ift.tt/1TulgLS">http://ift.tt/1TulgLS<span> </span></a>

<div>
<div>
<div>[Image: CdJxXVUW0AA_YS9.jpg]
</div>
</div>
</div>
Yup, love Marcedes. Sucks he never built on that great season he had a while back, but I love when players stick their whole career in one place. 
Quote: 

Stepped into this one.

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div> 

<div> 

<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div>
<div> 
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

<div>
<div>
<div> 
</div>
[Image: D0o8hDL8_bigger.jpeg]Marcedes Lewis <span>Verified account </span> ‏@<b>MarcedesLewis89</b> </div>
</div>

Today I met up with my boy Stanley, to reflect a little bit. I expressed my desire to fini… http://ift.tt/1TulgLS<span> </span>

<div>
<div>
<div>[Image: CdJxXVUW0AA_YS9.jpg]
</div>
</div>
</div>

</div>
Haha, I guess he reads the boards lol
Quote:Haha, I guess he reads the boards lol

Rumbling Giraffe? Lol
Quote:Stepped into this one.

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/MarcedesLewis89'>[Image: D0o8hDL8_bigger.jpeg]Marcedes Lewis Verified account ‏@MarcedesLewis89 </a>

Today I met up with my boy Stanley, to reflect a little bit. I expressed my desire to fini… <a class="bbc_url" href='https://t.co/wcsNBOBgOG'>http://ift.tt/1TulgLS </a>

[Image: CdJxXVUW0AA_YS9.jpg]

Ultimate troll. Good job ML89!
Have to mention....the players in the Pride didn't have a choice about leaving the Jags.

They were released or traded. But they all came back to retire as a Jaguar.

Lewis had a choice and made it. Hopefully set a good example for others that follow.

It has been fun on those occasions the Jags Offense has been cooking to even see him get in on the act with a catch or two and rumble.

Hope we have more to look forward to before he retires.

Great to see Mercedes Lewis eager to finish his career with the team that drafted him. As long as he can block and snag a  couple catches he'll play a part. Lets hope more Jaguars look to retire Jaguars in the future of this franchise.

I could see a Benjamin Watson like surge from Lewis his last couple years an I really hope he does always hyped Lewis up to people he does dirty work poo nangs cant/won't do
Quote:Can't say that I agree. He was overpaid, no doubt, and I think that he knows this. He appreciates being with the team because he knows no other team will compensate him as well as we have. 
This.

I don't believe he is motivated at all by the notion of 'loyalty' but by what is/was expedient for him to remain employed in the NFL., simple as that. He was never of much value as anything other than a blocker and he knew it; so it behooved him to stay here in that role. He was obviously overpaid and he knew that as well... which is more of a condemnation of the Jags for doing so than anything else.
Quote:This.

I don't believe he is motivated at all by the notion of 'loyalty' but by what is/was expedient for him to remain employed in the NFL., simple as that. He was never of much value as anything other than a blocker and he knew it; so it behooved him to stay here in that role. He was obviously overpaid and he knew that as well... which is more of a condemnation of the Jags for doing so than anything else.

Plus no income tax.

I don't believe he is motivated at all by the notion of 'loyalty' but by what is/was expedient for him to remain employed in the NFL., simple as that. He was never of much value as anything other than a blocker and he knew it; so it behooved him to stay here in that role. He was obviously overpaid and he knew that as well... which is more of a condemnation of the Jags for doing so than anything else.

Spin it however you want.   I'm glad we kept him, because we need a blocking TE on the team.   He fills a role.   He's not making huge money.  
he knows a sucker when he sees one

He was offered by the LA Rams, which is home for him, and chose to come back to Jacksonville. I think that shows loyalty. He really did want to finish it where it started.
Remember that time against cinci when gabbert threw him a would - be touchdown right in his hands, but instead the ball bounced off his head and he stumbled and fell on his keister? Easily my favorite Marcedes moment.
Pages: 1 2