Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Lower control arms on a Sienna
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dangerous, or just a tire eater?

I've got an older (2004) Sienna I'm driving the wheels off.

I'd rather not spend the money, and keep it in savings for my replacement vehicle (hopefully no time soon.)

Is it a real danger to put off, or just might cost me more in worn tires?

The issue with this particular vehicle is that you nearly have to pull the motor (either partially raise the engine to get to the bolt, or have a really shallow wrench,) which makes the labor higher (or nearly impossible if you don't have the time/tools/garage to DIY.)

What say you, grease monkeys?

Have you watched this yet?

https://youtu.be/sD4r2hVBvzk
Quote:Have you watched this yet?

https://youtu.be/sD4r2hVBvzk

Yep, that's what chased me off doing it myself.

It's just an awful job, and why I'd rather skip it unless it's a serious safety issue.
Depends on how bad it is, raise the vehicle if you have lots of play in the wheel get it done. If that control arm gives your wheels coming off. And don't do it at home that job suuuuuuucks
Quote:Have you watched this yet?

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://youtu.be/sD4r2hVBvzk'>https://youtu.be/sD4r2hVBvzk</a>
I stopped when he was using the factory Jack to hold the vehicle up with the tire as a safety back up roflmao
Quote:Yep, that's what chased me off doing it myself.

It's just an awful job, and why I'd rather skip it unless it's a serious safety issue.

edit: Nevermind looked it up, damn it's an 8 hour job definitely do both if you're going that route. I checked the price NAPA has the control arm with ball joint for about 159.99 retail so you'll pay roughly 239 in a shop plus the labor and alignment.

yea after the alignment and taxes you're probably looking at $1200-$1300. Price shop the job, it's enough labor if you call around and get prices from independent shops I'll bet someone will do it for $900.
Quote:edit: Nevermind looked it up, damn it's an hour job definitely do both if you're going that route. I checked the price NAPA has the control arm with ball joint for about 159.99 retail so you'll pay roughly 239 in a shop plus the labor and alignment.

yea after the alignment and taxes you're probably looking at $1200-$1300. Price shop the job, it's enough labor if you call around and get prices from independent shops I'll bet someone will do it for $900.

Rock Auto has them for around $120.

To me it doesn't look like too difficult of a job to do with the right tools. I've raised the engine on several cars for easier access, it's really not that big of a deal. But you know that.

Yeah, one thing I've drilled into my sons' heads is to never, ever, climb under a car if it's not resting on jack stands. In my younger days I did it (while using a bumper jack) and think now what a lucky fool I was.
Quote:Rock Auto has them for around $120.

To me it doesn't look like too difficult of a job to do with the right tools. I've raised the engine on several cars for easier access, it's really not that big of a deal. But you know that.

Yeah, one thing I've drilled into my sons' heads is to never, ever, climb under a car if it's not resting on jack stands. In my younger days I did it (while using a bumper jack) and think now what a lucky fool I was.

If he's doing it a home he could get moogs for just a little more. But it sounds like he wants to pay someone to do it.
Quote:I stopped when he was using the factory Jack to hold the vehicle up with the tire as a safety back up roflmao

You mean you're not a fan of scissor jacks?

I too almost had a heart attack. I'll dig a hole in the ground before I climb under one of those.
Quote:You mean you're not a fan of scissor jacks?

I too almost had a heart attack. I'll dig a hole in the ground before I climb under one of those.

They're perfect for an emergency roadside tire change but pulling and pushing on control arms that guys lucky to be alive
Quote:edit: Nevermind looked it up, damn it's an 8 hour job definitely do both if you're going that route. I checked the price NAPA has the control arm with ball joint for about 159.99 retail so you'll pay roughly 239 in a shop plus the labor and alignment.

Thanks.  A shop I trust was quoting near $2k.  Seeing the job, I understand why.

I plan on buying my own parts and shopping the labor.  Will depend on where I'm livin' in the next six mo.
What's the problem with yours, bushings, ball joints or both?

Quote:What's the problem with yours, bushings, ball joints or both?

When something gets this old, I don't overthink it.  I plan on replacing the whole thing.  But only if absolutely necessary.  It's closing in on let it go and saving for a replacement vehicle, or buying a few more years use.
Sent you a PM.
Why not just drop the subframe. Suspend the engine/transmission with a cradle, and just drop the subframe.

Without knowing the particulars of doing a job like that, it seems like the easiest thing to do.

Quote:Dangerous, or just a tire eater?

I've got an older (2004) Sienna I'm driving the wheels off.

I'd rather not spend the money, and keep it in savings for my replacement vehicle (hopefully no time soon.)

Is it a real danger to put off, or just might cost me more in worn tires?

The issue with this particular vehicle is that you nearly have to pull the motor (either partially raise the engine to get to the bolt, or have a really shallow wrench,) which makes the labor higher (or nearly impossible if you don't have the time/tools/garage to DIY.)

What say you, grease monkeys?
I am far from a grease monkey, but I do have some experience with worn tires. I pushed my Titan's original tires well beyond what would be recommended. I ran on some of the silver metal threads for quite a bit before we finally changed them. They were near bald for quite a bit of time even before that. 

Take that for what it's worth. Recommended? No.
Quote:I am far from a grease monkey, but I do have some experience with worn tires. I pushed my Titan's original tires well beyond what would be recommended. I ran on some of the silver metal threads for quite a bit before we finally changed them. They were near bald for quite a bit of time even before that. 

Take that for what it's worth. Recommended? No.
Incredibly dangerous in the rain.

Pirk,

Gather the parts, and call around to some mobile guys. Try to start a bidding war.

Or trade it in :/
Quote:Incredibly dangerous in the rain.

Pirk,

Gather the parts, and call around to some mobile guys. Try to start a bidding war.

Or trade it in :/
Ha, yes, most definitely, I absolutely dreaded the rain when I had to drive it then. It was after a rainy drive that I finally told my wife no more, can't do it, time for new ones. Pretty dangerous though rain or not.