Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Jaguars front office is incredibly smart on how they structure contracts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
All of their deals are essentially "pay as you go" contracts, which allows them to cut under-performing players without any dead monies left behind. Kudos to our cap management guys/gals.

This just reinforces their "build through the draft" statements. While they knew that the roster was in such a condition as to force them to sign Free Agents, they did it in a way that would allow them to part ways with their signees with little to no long-term repercussions.

Remember when we hired Idzik and people complained....lol
Quote:All of their deals are essentially "pay as you go" contracts, which allows them to cut under-performing players without any dead monies left behind. Kudos to our cap management guys/gals.

Correct. Most of these "big" FA deals are essentially structured to be 2 year deals. After year 2 they can cut ties with the player with zero dead money.
I agree.  I've been thinking this for a while now.  It really is a top notch front office.

Great stuff Caldy!!

I agree, I love the feeling of no dead money. Being able to dump waste and well not waste more than needed is awesome.

Quote:Remember when we hired Idzik and people complained....lol
Certain peeps went ape poo over it. Certain ones............
Quote:I agree. I've been thinking this for a while now. It really is a top notch front office.

Pardon my cynicism, but nearly 20 years of seeing superlatives here may lead you to understand this.

Top notch = Exclusively tied to production, in my view.

It really isn't. Effective, sure. Rejuvenation after cap jail debacle, certainly. Great at amassing loads of money that sits there, undoubtedly.

Top notch means top notch, as in products panning out more so than nearly every other team

Not close
Quote:This just reinforces their "build through the draft" statements. While they knew that the roster was in such a condition as to force them to sign Free Agents, they did it in a way that would allow them to part ways with their signees with little to no long-term repercussions.
What's really incredible about our front office/dave caldwell and this FA period that we're all (myself included) going gaga over, is the real players on the team. The ones that are great play makers and the back bone, are all drafted players. They've done a fine job over all. Just need a couple of "quality" FA supplements to add some punch on defense. But if they keep drafting these types of players, FA, soon, will be a boring time of the year for us. And that will be a good thing. 
Quote:Pardon my cynicism, but nearly 20 years of seeing superlatives here may lead you to understand this.

It really isn't. Effective, sure. Rejuvenation after cap jail debacle, certainly. Great at amassing loads of money that sits there, undoubtedly.

Top notch means top notch, as in products panning out more so than nearly every other team

Not close
While i agree.

Can we say, judgement is still out?
Quote:Pardon my cynicism, but nearly 20 years of seeing superlatives here may lead you to understand this.

Not close

We'll agree to disagree.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion and have a valid argument.

I believe the rebuild has been executed exactly as it needed to be done, which took a lot of cojones.  There have been a few decisions here and there that I disagree with, but in a general sense, the direction is clear, the improvement evident, and our positioning is great right now.

Quote:We'll agree to disagree.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion and have a valid argument.

I believe the rebuild has been executed exactly as it needed to be done, which took a lot of cajones.  There have been a few decisions here and there that I disagree with, but in a general sense, the direction is clear, the improvement evident, and our positioning is great right now.

Great post, agree 100%
Quote:While i agree.

Can we say, judgement is still out?

Blake Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, TJ Yeldon, Telvin Smith, Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Julius Thomas, and about $90M in cap space. If you're not excited about the Jags current situation then you're not a Jags fan.
Quote:We'll agree to disagree.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion and have a valid argument.

I believe the rebuild has been executed exactly as it needed to be done, which took a lot of cajones.  There have been a few decisions here and there that I disagree with, but in a general sense, the direction is clear, the improvement evident, and our positioning is great right now.
Whatever few missteps have been made, and they've been few, you can see they had a very clear vision in what they wanted to do. You are correct, it did take big 'cojones'. They knew they'd stink for a long time doing it that way, but the long term should be sweet. 
I remember in the early 2000's, the Jags were in such cap space heck that they had to find back ups off other teams' practice squads and players cuts.

Not close

How many ground-up, bottom to top rebuilds in the NFL have you been privy to?  Because they don't happen often like this, and you don't build a complete roster in two years when they do. 

When Khan took over the clock reset back to zero.  You need to adjust your "production expectations" to match the magnitude of the total rebuild.

If you are unable to see numerous smart money decisions abounding since Khan hired his people and Dave added his - you are allowing your focus on production to narrow your overall vision. Good things are happening in the front office and it's evident in the structuring of the FA contracts.  They are a world away from those that Gene Smith and company were drawing up. 
I see your points. From an operational standpoint, absolutely, they are atop league standards, aso proven by the cap #s. Perhaps, if we are considering FO dealings and outcome on the field of play as mutually exclusive, I concur.
My response was before reading NYC's take. Fair enough.
Quote:I see your points. From an operational standpoint, absolutely, they are atop league standards, aso proven by the cap #s. Perhaps, if we are considering FO dealings and outcome on the field of play as mutually exclusive, I concur.
Understood. And, believe me, the win/loss column has been very, very difficult to reconcile with all of the seemingly "good" things happening around this team. Very difficult. So - I get your initial point as well. 

Pages: 1 2