Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DeJuan Polk Hired by the Jags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Posted: 2:18 p.m. Wednesday, March 2, 2016

FLOWERY BRANCH – It’s expected to be a battle of former front office mates and former defensive coordinators in the quest to sign Seattle linebacker Bruce Irvin.

The first shot was fired on Tuesday when Jacksonville general manager Dave Caldwell, a former assistant under Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff, hired away personnel executive DeJuan Polk.

Jacksonville is coached by Gus Bradley, who was Irvin’s initial defensive coordinator in Seattle in 2012. Falcons coach Dan Quinn was his coordinator in 2013 and 2014 before landing the job with the Falcons.

Irvin has repeatedly stated to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that he wants to play for the Falcons.

ESPN salary cap maven John Clayton projected that the Irvin should get close to $9.5 million a year from Jacksonville or Atlanta.

That’s going to be a little on the high side for the Falcons, who are $30.6 million under the cap while Jacksonville is $73.6 under.

Look for Irvin to land with the Jags, unless the Stone Mountain native gives the Falcons a home-town discount.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/footbal...eal/nqcCf/

Jacksonville has over $40 million more in cap space than Atlanta, and on Tuesday they hired personnel assistant DeJuan Polk away from the Falcons, according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Polk should be able to give the Jags inside information on Atlanta's plans to go after Irvin and other free agent targets.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football...866068.php
The plot thickens...

This is getting good.
I like this.

"home town discount"

Right up there with unicorns, fairies, DPRs, LEOs, and other fantasies.

Haven't liked the Falcons since the dirty bird. Hope we put the screws to em.
This is fun.

Quote:This is fun.

Ah, yes. For now, and almost always at this time of year, it is.
Hmmmm.

Wish I knew what the "real deal " is behind this hiring.

Very intriguing
Quote:Wish I knew what the "real deal " is behind this hiring.
Couldn't possibly be that Caldwell knows Polk and thinks highly of him, and he recognizes that Chris Polian is probably not going to be in Jacksonville forever, could it?

I'm sure the question of how hard the Falcons intend to pursue Irvin will come up, but you don't hire a guy to a senior position purely to pump him for info on what another team is planning to do in free agency. He's not Jim Miller.
Fun indeed

TheScore mapped him to Jags. I am engaged.
I really think this is the offseason we pull some rabbits out of our hats in free agency. I think there's opportunity for us to trade up in the draft and catch people off guard. Moves like this 99% of the world won't notice. I love it.