Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Running...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I have decided this year is the year to become a runner. I am roughly 45 lbs overweight, and taking it slow. I started couch to 5K and am in Week 2. Any advice from runners?

I am a little concerned about knee pain, due to my weight, but so far so good. I lift 3 days a week and am following the program 3 days a week. I am hoping that this is going to be the 'Magic Bullet' to help me lose this weight!

Hire a psychopathic killer to chase you, preferably one that's in good shape. The pounds will melt away.

But seriously, you're doing it right so far. Start slow and build on your distance. Remember, distance first, then speed. In other words, don't worry about looking at a watch until you can run your goal distance without stopping. And get good shoes.
Change screen name to JaxJags&LightBeer? 

:teehee:

J/K  Consider a sleeve-style knee brace if you are really concerned about them.  Otherwise - just don't try to do too much too quickly. 

Thanks for the humor and suggestions! yes, taking it sloooowwww so far. my run intervals are a light jog level, just moving the legs with more intensity than walking. I have a decent pair of shoes, and so I can wait a bit on replacing them, but I am sure it won't be too long with the miles racking up.

Find a good routine of core building stretches to go along with what you're doing. A weak core will impact your back, knees and hammies and make it harder to run longer distances.

Treadmills are easier on the legs if you have access to one. 

I tend to run the rose bowl loop every Saturday morning. Its a 5k. 

What I have been doing to lose weight is cutting out alcohol on the weekdays (Monday-Thursday).

If you do this, I guarantee the pounds will drop. 

Start slow, since you are doing this for leisure not punishment, run/walk on a steady regimen until you get more comfortable running for a longer period of time. 

Set small goals (as far as distances) to continue your run without stopping to walk. Each time trying to beat your last distance. 

Good idea on the core exercise training program. I can probably fit that in after my weight training sessions 3x / week. I am trying to avoid the treadmill for sure! I have always hated it, LOL.  Oh, and NYC, no chance of the light beer! maybe light in color, but not flavor! I am cutting back on the beverage intake, and the $$ I save can go to a new pair of shoes!

Skip the endurance running and create a sprint program.
Hell, I've just been walking (briskly) 5.3 miles every morning and as long as I don't eat like a pig I've been maintaining the same weight and keeping my BP down.

I lost 65 pounds originally just by doing this and cutting out the junk food. 

Good Job Rico! I have found walking each morning helps for sure. I have never been a runner, and I was challenged to a race later this year (equivalent of a 1/2 marathon, with obstacles). So, if I have reached a running goal (roughly 7 miles without stopping) by late June, I am going to sign up for the race.

Senor,

I totally agree regarding sprints, but I need to be able to do longer runs consistently too. If someone says 'Hey, there is a 5K this weekend!' I can run it with no difficulty.

My best advice is to make it something that you enjoy rather than something that you "have" to do.  Start out easy and take it slow.  Perhaps try to alter your route/areas that you run to make it interesting.

One other thing to consider.  Save up for the running shoes and if you run every day consider a couple of pairs and alternate them.  Don't skimp on these either.  Running in a cheap pair of sneakers is WAY different than running in a good quality pair of running shoes.  A good pair of running shoes will also aide the concerns about knee pain.

Finally, the importance of stretching and hydration are critical.  Take your time with stretching both before and after a run, and stay hydrated.

Quote:My best advice is to make it something that you enjoy rather than something that you "have" to do. Start out easy and take it slow. Perhaps try to alter your route/areas that you run to make it interesting.

One other thing to consider. Save up for the running shoes and if you run every day consider a couple of pairs and alternate them. Don't skimp on these either. Running in a cheap pair of sneakers is WAY different than running in a good quality pair of running shoes. A good pair of running shoes will also aide the concerns about knee pain.

Finally, the importance of stretching and hydration are critical. Take your time with stretching both before and after a run, and stay hydrated.

No joke about the shoes. I used to run in my sneakers, then i picked up a pair of running shoes. Nothing spectacular (Nike $70, but labeled as running shoes) and it made a world of difference.
Buy a foam roller and use it at least once a day if you can. Works wonders for sore muscles.

Keep your head up and try to look 30-40 yards ahead when you run,seems like a small thing but a lot of people run with their heads pointing towards the ground which makes running tougher than needs be.
Quote:No joke about the shoes. I used to run in my sneakers, then i picked up a pair of running shoes. Nothing spectacular (Nike $70, but labeled as running shoes) and it made a world of difference.

I wear Asics, they fit my feet better than others. Most runners have their preference.
Quote:Hell, I've just been walking (briskly) 5.3 miles every morning and as long as I don't eat like a pig I've been maintaining the same weight and keeping my BP down.

Yeah but that takes self control and stuff.
Quote:Yeah but that takes self control and stuff.

Not to mention the long cab ride back at the end of the week.
Thanks again all! going for my next jog / walk tonight! good advice on keeping the head up.

Quote:Yeah but that takes self control and stuff.

I hate self control. It takes too much self control.
Quote:Hell, I've just been walking (briskly) 5.3 miles every morning and as long as I don't eat like a pig I've been maintaining the same weight and keeping my BP down.

I'll agree with this, especially for those of us past their 30s (no offense, I'm not making assumptions about you - just taking from my personal perspective.)

Even when in my 20s, 30s, I found it easier on the joints knees to use a fan bike with low/no resistance.

I've never liked to run.  So for those in the same boat, I would suggest walking to burn calories as Rico said, intaking fewer calories, and an alternative exercise that increases heart rate like biking, swimming, and well, ya know...
Pages: 1 2